Honeymoon Disfellowshippings

by dozy 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dozy
    dozy
    Deaconbluez - Ok I'm not trying to be pro-JW here, because anybody can see the hypocricy in this situation, but how else can Jesus' words at Luke 16:18: "Everyone who divorces his wife, and marries another, commits adultery"

I've struggled with this principle as well - it does seem fairly clear. I can't think of any way around it. If there was a presumption that if someone had been divorced for (say) seven years that the individual was scripturally free to remarry then that would save a lot of heartache , but it is a bit Pharisaical and has no basis in scripture (other than maybe the Jubilee arrangement - mind you , the WTS are good at creating parallels in these situations).

More probably , instead of a blanket automatic DF when some remarries , maybe the WTS should look at public reproof in all but the most blatant cases. It is a policy that penalises the most vulnerable - mainly abandoned middle aged sisters. Those clever enough to play the system don't get DFd.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Dozy:You have the situation pretty well outlined.

I divorced on the grounds of 1Cor.7:15 (sometimes called Pauline Privilege) as I had been completely alienated from my [ex]wife's affections after my "conversion", Disassociation and baptism as a Christian. When I remarry in May the congregation will then view her as scripturally free to remarry. Good luck to her, I say. She was an excellent wife and a wonderful person, but prefered an organisation to her husband.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I've struggled with this principle as well - it does seem fairly clear.

but surely this is not the only principle/law involved in a successful marraige

the bible also says..that a husband should provide for his wife and family (financially, emotionally,sexually, spiritually etc), a wife should be in subjection and care for the home children etc etc, children should be obedient to their parents, people shouldn't marry for green cards, nor for companionship only, or just to have kids..and so on and so on and so on..

the fact is that there is no automatic df-ing for any of the above failings (even taking into account stay-at-home dads and working mums).if there were any judicial action taken for any of the above then a lot of time would be spent fact finding and problem solving (well in theory at least) before anything was done.

once again the wts has decided that it is the final arbitar of what the bible is saying rather than admitting that it doesnt know, that the bible doesnt provide all the answers to every scenario and that people have a right to make a conscientous decision of their own......with their bible trained conscience..ironically trained by the wts

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Interesting anecdotes and a minefield of legalalistic decisions. Whenever men (elders) have the right to permit or prevent a marriage, trouble can only ensue. But this one I have to raise eyebrows to.

They decided that they would go out for dinner regularly as there was only a few months left until the divorce was completed.They never slept together but STILL the pharisees DF'd them both

Sorry but you cannot be d/fd for having dinner, unless one was already d.fd ,- I think there was more to it.

This next ruling always bothered me - never seemed right...

tp

chap.13p.148par.16YourViewofSex—WhatDifferenceDoesItMake?***

What if the laws of a land do not allow any divorce, even on the ground of sexual immorality? An innocent mate in such a case might be able to obtain a divorce in a country where divorce is permitted. Circumstances, of course, may not allow for this. But some form of legal separation may be available in one’s own country and could be sought. Whatever the case, the innocent mate could separate from the guilty one and present definite proof of Scriptural ground for divorce to the overseers in the local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. What if that person were later to decide to take another mate? The congregation would not act to remove him as an adulterer if he provided the congregation with a written statement containing a vow of faithfulness to the present mate and an agreement to obtain a legal marriage certificate if the former marriage should be dissolved either legally or by death. Nevertheless, the individual would have to face whatever consequences might result as far as the world outside the congregation is concerned. For the world does not generally recognize that God’s law is superior to human laws and that human laws have only relative authority.—Compare Acts 5:29.

BTW I never could square these two scripures together . It seems that Luke , noted for accuracy, missed out the most important bit.

(Luke 16:18) 18 "Everyone that divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he that marries a woman divorced from a husband commits adultery.

(Matthew 5:31-32) 31 "Moreover it was said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 However, I say to YOU that everyone divorcing his wife,except on account of fornication, makes her a subject for adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Yep, it's true; you get df'd for a loving sexual relationship.
    <br>But a child abuser can molest a child in the hall and denies it, he won't even be reproved.
    <br><br>CONGRATULATIONS, BROTHER TED JARASCZ AND FRIENDS:
    <br><br>YOU HAVE MADE THE KINGDOM A LIVING HELL. NO NEED FOR A FAKE ONE!!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"They decided that they would go out for dinner regularly as there was only a few months left until the divorce was completed.They never slept together but STILL the pharisees DF'd them both"

I would not doubt that elders would do this, if they felt that these 2 were not listening to the elders. Elders get real unpredictable when you defy them.

What Jesus said about divorce: Jesus also said that heaven and earth would pass away, but not his words.
    And that a camel would fit through the eye of a needle easier than a rich man into the kingdom of God.
    Is it possible that Jesus was using hyperbole in this matter?
    Does anyone really think that a husband can beat his wife senseless, or abuse her verbally and emotionally for years but she can't leave him unless he is sexually unfaithful??? Should she be punished for his crimes?

Wake up.

• Rooster
    Rooster

Rbi8Matthew15:7-9***

YOU hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU, when he said, 8 ‘This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.’
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

Someone recently posted that when a person is DF'd, they are "dead to God."

If they are dead, should not their spouse be free to marry someone else?

( Serious question )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit