Australian Bethel Visit - I have to get this off my chest

by wozadummy 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I was baptized in Adelaide South Australia in 1983 and around this time my first wife and I , along with our small children decided to go to the Bethel in Sydney New South Wales as part of our holiday one summer. We camped along the way as we travelled the coast road from Adelaide and had a really interesting time and when we got to Sydney we decided to stay at a caravan camping ground right near Bethel ,so we did not have to travell far the next day for our visit there.

When we pulled in to the park and went to register at the office the two people in charge seemed to be very strained and distant when we spoke to them .We setup our tent and unpacked to settle in for dinner and on the way to the shower block I spoke to someone there for a few minutes and remarked that the people who ran this park did'nt seem too freindly. He then pointed out why, that day a man had killed one of his family and everyone felt nervous and upset because of this .

Of course I jumped into Witness mode as I was full of "the Spirit" not being long baptised ,but just got a blank stare and I knew I should not persue this any more - I feel so stupid now but I'm sure some here can relate to this blind faith enthusiasm as a chance to witness to the great god of the printing presses and think we can help heal all the troubles of the world!

This is the first part of a two fold experience because this was an upsetting experience and what followed the next day proved to be a disturbing experience too.

Remember this next day we were all going to Bethel on what was supposed to be an uplifting pilgrimage ,if you will, but what happened at Bethel the next day haunted me the rest of my witness days and even now, though now I probably understand more as to why I felt disturbed for all those years.

In the morning we got up and showered and dressed in our witness clothes and I was disturbed by what had happened at the park the day before ,but here we were going to gods house and we had extra reason to be glad to be witnesses did'nt we? All feelings of depression would disappear now as we were going to the holy Bethel and life is good right?

Wrong ,from the outset when we met the girl to guide us I had this terrible feeling of darkness,depression, overbearing weight closing in on me while the half awake guide told us about this and that . "And this is the MEPS computer for enabling gods people to translate for our literature much quicker blah blah.." and all I could see was piles of half openened boxes of computer gear lying untidily on the floor thru a window of a passageway with no lights ,and it certainly did'nt look like the brothers were enthusiastically putting all this brilliant software that the brothers had written and the business world was clamouring to get hold of to good use - no - all the hype we were told about it came crashing down in a heap at that moment and left me a bit perplexed. But we moved on and looked about and were invited to have a meal with Bethel family and it just felt cold ,and business like but without any smiles and getting complascent looks over the tables at us as if they were enduring us there.

I remember saying to my wife how I felt really uncomfortable there and could'nt wait to get back to our camp ,and that even in the Navy I had'nt felt that oppressive feeling of authoritarian pressure and judgemental weight and un happiness from the people there. Rather than feeling refreshed by being there , I felt worse now compounding the terrible news of what had happened the day before at the park .Things like this which should have served as a warning as to what I'd got myself into in that religion but I was to an extent already trained in thought to dismiss these gut feelings and reason it away as though it was actually me who had the problem.

All the time I was a witness thereafter I would never look forward to a CO or DO visit and would avoid any responsibilities as far as a MS could do because I could feel that feeling at Bethel always come back to haunt me ,I just felt there was always something wrong here. I did of course talk to them and over the years and witness with them, some CO's and DO's would even seek my advice on circuit and congregational issues for they would,nt get much help from some of the dickheads running the congos for they never shepherded and were completely out of touch with the needs of people. Well that's it ,did anyone else feel these things when visiting or staying at a Bethel? The murder at the park was a bad experience but it did not affect me as much as what happened at Bethel, I just mentioned the murder to contrast the feelings I had which were much worse at Bethel ,is'nt that something?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Weird vibes, huh? Maybe they got hexed with Aboriginal juju.

Unless that sort of thing isn't real...

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

What a great read, Wozadummy. Thanks for taking the time for that extensive recollection. It must have, indeed, been a very traumatic discovery for you and your family. It's actually very surprising to me that their front (there are many related experiences that show their bad backside) was as poor as it was in your case. I'd like to hear Ozziepost's take on your post. I think he was an Australian bethelite.

Check out if you can find them, the nine (or more) separate posts within the last two weeks, our "new boy" member's posts of his experiences while at Bethel in Brooklyn.

Fats

• TopHat
    TopHat

I can relate to your feelings about the Bethel visit. The first time I made a visit to Bethel Brooklyn, I felt the cool breeze of sadness among the Bethlites. I was expecting overwheling happiness because the two ladies that instisted I visit had told me how wonderful, spiritual the experience would be for me. We were going to have lunch at Bethel and all that, don't you know. We got stuck in traffic and missed lunch by 30 minutes. My stomach was making noise thur the whole tour around the buildings.

Years later I was taken on a tour of "The Farm" in Wallkill and had lunch there...fish and I forget what else. A year Later a tour of the still unfinished Patterson upstate NY. Not to far from where I live now but far enough as to not be to close. The cong I belong to had many Patterson Bethlites. Anyone here know Rick Curzan? He is the Chief Elder now...Nice looking young fellow.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Never actually took a tour of Brooklyn Bethel although I've seen it twice from the outside. In 1984 we toured the Canada Bethel near Toronto. Didn't have a meal there, but I had a similar feeling as far the tour guide was concerned. She seemed detached and distant. Clyde and I commented that it was a very superficial tour, we saw very few people, and certainly didn't get any feeling of warmth.

Bonnie

• Cellist
    Cellist

I've never actually toured any of the WTS factories. But I got that feeling you describe from someone's "glowing report" of what living at Bethel was like. He was trying to entice us to join up and go live at the place. Instead, it gave me the creeps. I knew I'd never last in that environment. I'd tell someone where to shove it before the first week was up.

Cellist

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I had a similar feeling when I visited Bethel in NY in 2000 . I was chaparoning a small group of girls from my hall that had just graduated H.S. We had always been told about how Bethel was like one big happy family , and what a priviledge it was going to be to have lunch there at the main building . So I think my anticipation may have been a bit high . We got lost getting there , in a rainstorm, so we were soaked through in our dresses. We knew our guide and had some fun during our tour since it was his version. Lunch though was the oddest most uncomfortable feeling ever . It felt so cold and distant as everyone filed in , I have a military background and this is what I compared it to at that time . People did not look happy ,it was just like any other company and we were being humored . Could not wait to leave . We had planned on going on a tour of the offices , but I really had my fill already .

• greendawn
    greendawn

Such experiences simply reinforce what many people suspect, that the WTS does not really engage in religious activity and goals but instead in commercial ones hence the businesslike ambience at the Bethels the places where the company's products are made. Very disappointing for sure to those expecting an intensely spiritual environment.

• Synergy
    Synergy

The New York Bethel felt the same to me. We went several times as I was growing up and I hated it. My parents were always like, "Don't you want to come live here and serve at Bethel?" and I always felt horribly bad and guilty for saying "Uh, no." That was my dads dream, for me to marry a Bethelite. The place felt like a prison institution and that was just the tour, I would hate to see the off tour part, you know, where people aren't pretending it's a great place.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I visited New York Bethel in 1991 and felt exactly the same way you did. The only 'happy' brother I saw was the one conducting my friend and I through the operation. We showed up in street clothes and asked for a tour. It didn't take long before we were on our journey through the JW mecca. It didn't take too much longer for me to realise something was dreadfully wrong with what I saw. It took another 13 years of cognitive dissonance before I escaped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit