Would the WT club have mandated the prodigal son be shunned?

by LexWatson 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LexWatson
    LexWatson

The prodigal son's Father met him out on the road as he approached, put a fine robe around his shoulders and had rings made for him. They had a big PARTY as he announced "My son has come home!!" Everone knew he had blown his inheritance on liquor and prostitutes.

Wouldn't the WT "arrangement" have mandated a comittee meeting to have been held to determine if they felt he was truly repentant and most probably he would have to had a period of time that he was shunned so they could tell the congregation "that situation had been dealt with". His Father couldn't have talked to him, there would be NO party for anyone seen eating with or socializing with the son would be DFed and shunned.

Just exactly what is it the WT doesn't understand about what God was trying to tell us by having that example preserved in his word the Bible?!!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Not only that - by WT theology, the father would be Df'd for 'eating a meal with him', and they both would be sitting in the back of the hall.

Jeff

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Good points. For what it's worth, here's the Watchtowers take on this;

gtchap.86TheStoryofaLostSon***

the discerning father of Jesus’ illustration no doubt has some idea of his son’s repentance by observing his sad, downcast countenance as he returns

***w819/15p.29par.17IfaRelativeIsDisfellowshiped...***

In Jesus’ parable of the prodigal son, the father ran to meet and then accepted his returning son. The father, seeing the lad’s pitiful condition, responded with natural parental concern. We can note, though, that the son did not bring home harlots or come with a disposition to continue his sinful life in his father’s home. No, he expressed heartfelt repentance and evidently was determined to return to living a clean life.

w9411/1p.15par.22Jehovah—OurTenderlyCompassionateFather***

Then there is the story of the prodigal son. Recall what happens when the wayward son returns home. "While he was yet a long way off, his father caught sight of him and was moved with pity, and he ran and fell upon his neck and tenderly kissed him." (Luke 15:20) This shows that when a Christian who has become wayward shows genuine repentance, Jehovah will feel pity and tenderly accept that one back.

'Genuine repentance' here seems no more than a sad face and empty pockets to the observer.

The moral of the story is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[fill in the blanks]

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I wonder why the father (representing God himself) didn't 'put his son on restrictions'? Hmmm

It was when Mrs Ozzie queried this very point with some Bethel elders, she was summoned to a 'meeting' where one of them, thumping the bound volumes in front of him, demanded, "Don't you believe this is from 'faithful and discreet slave'?" whereupon Mrs Ozzie thought, "No, I don't!" and the rest, as they say is history.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

If the Watchtower had written the story:

"Father, I have returned to you. Please accept me as one of your slaves, I know I am not worthy to be called your son."

"My son, you are indeed not worthy to be called my son. Nor are you worthy to be my slave. Meet with the elders, see if they find genuine repentance in you. If so, you will be allowed to drop by the farm thrice a week (though not allowed in the house) to meet with us. Keep your mouth shut at these times, and we will likewise not speak to you. If after '6 months, a year, or even longer'* the elders feel you have truly repented, then we will happily accept you back into our lives."

How this stunning example of forgiveness doesn't completely blow away the DF'ing concept, I'll never know.

Dave

* - actual quote (or mighty good paraphrase) from the OM book regarding the length of time a person would likely remain DF'd. Not sure what the new book says.

• sspo
    sspo
    I wonder why the father (representing God himself) didn't 'put his son on restrictions'?

You took the words out of my mouth, What scripture do they use for that?

Restrictions is used to once again to have control over people and wip him into shape and humiliate a person

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

The moral is, "return to God rather than return to the organisation" - (You are more likely to get a sympathtic ear from God)

As has been pointed out, they (men) make you sit at the back of the hall for a period of time, usually over a year, with God it was immediate forgiveness. I know that the Org. can't read hearts but in view of this, they should err on the side of love and christianity

KT

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not only that - by WT theology, the father would be Df'd for 'eating a meal with him', and they
    both would be sitting in the back of the hall.

Nice try, Jeff, but if there was no JC while the son was gone, and it didn't take place yet
    upon his return, the father would olny be counseled about having the party. The meal
    was with a publisher who hasn't met the JC yet, and if he needed to live at home, they
    could eat a meal with him, but they would have to explain why he needed to live at home.

I love this question. I never made this connection in my mind. I could write the WT article-
    "Of course, today, with God's people on earth, it would be unwise to have a celebration that
    a strayed one has returned until it is well established by a Judicial Committe of spiritual elders
    that he indeed repented and is ready to turn his life around, with appropriate restrictions
    imposed.

• Gayle
    Gayle

The last circuit assembly I went to in the mid-80's, it was read that the congregation was not to "clap" when it is announced someone was now reinstated as now they were to "prove" themselves..all I could think of was the father of the prodigal son only having a party & rejoicing,,and here JWs were now commanded to not even "clap." This confirmed the unloving, arrogance, and self-righteousness of the GB.

• becca1
    becca1

Good point!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit