Bluetooth Headsets: Geeky or Sexy?

by Elsewhere 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

As a programmer I am exposed to high technology all the time and ironically this has given me an odd aversion to it! I like gadgets and gizmos like anyone else; however I demand it be discrete. When I'm out-n-about I want to be connected, but at the same time I don't want anyone to be able to see it.

For years I have avoided the Bluetooth Headsets that appear to be gaining in popularity, however I’m still not quite ready to get one because of the obvious geek factor and the simple fact that many people who wear them appear to be making the "Look at me, I've fancy" statement. (wow, now that is a run-on sentence!) It all reminds me of when beepers and cell phones first came out. A lot of people wore them primarily so they could be seen wearing them.

Granted, the headsets are getting very small and stylish, but have they gotten passed the "look at me" phase yet?

Another thing I am worried about is the security of Bluetooth. I know the old v1.1 has security wholes that allow a hacker to literally hijack your phone, get your address list and even make phone calls using your phone. For this reason I never turn on my cell phone’s Bluetooth.

My cell phone supports the new Bluetooth v2.0 which I *suspect* is more secure, but I don’t know for sure. Does anyone know how/if secure the v2.0 is?

So what are your thoughts? Is it time for me to get a Headset?

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Neither, in my opinion. Practical.

And the only reason I know anything about it is because I saw my older sister (43 yrs. and a retired ol' Navy salt) wearing one in a mall to keep track of me and my niece as we split off together. She's neither sexy (in my opinion) nor geeky...but she is very practical. So there's my assessment.

I say, if you want it...think it could serve good purpose for you...go for it. Just be aware of the image presented when suddenly you begin talking in conversation, having no visible cell phone to clue people to the fact that you are SANE. LOL

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

For me I drive for work so much, that it is the safest way to talk on the cell. My bluetooth is so small I can wear it and no one sees it. My hair is very long so unless you saw my lips moving you would have no idea that I am still receiving calls. They are as the other poster said "practical."

Leslie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    My hair is very long so unless you saw my lips moving you would have no idea that I am still receiving calls.

Are you sure the voices you hear are phone calls?

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I personally dont like them. I think cell phones in general are rude. I carry a cell phone but it's turned off. So many people walk around too involved in their telephone conversation that they are clueless to their surroundings and their enviornment.

The whole blue tooth thing is a bit much in my opinion. There isn't anything that is so important that requires me to always be instantly available. Although I think that if you must talk while driving that hands free is the way to go. I would much rather see someone driving and talking using blue tooth than a hand held phone. But please, when you get to your destination, take the thing out of your ear. It just looks like your trying to be self important.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I'm self employed, and on the road all day long. During this time my phone is constantly ringing, so I decided to buy a bluetooth headset to make it easier to work and answer the phone.

To be honest, I really didn't like it. Though I bought an expensive, lightweight unit, it still made my ear hurt after wearing it for an hour or more. I think it can be very practical. I just

wish that I could get used to wearing it for long periods of time.

One more thing,,,, I don't even use mine anymore.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

With my work I am on the road and on the move all day long.

I got a bluetooth compatable phone and got the little ear piece.......I guess i used it for a few months........when it works and you can hear on it its great....i like the voice dial option. but get pissed off when you have to start talking to it when it gets the name or numbers wrong. I find myself wanting to say............F$%$%ing listen to me.

so i got the secretary to screen my calls and now she calls, leaves a message and I call back if i need to.

And like my digital dictaphone and another gizmo........they float around in the bottom of my purse .........making me feel very important just to have them.

purps

• Odrade
    Odrade

I use one from plantronics, and I think it makes me look like a dork, with its stupid little flashing light. But it is better for my neck than holding the phone up all the time, I can take notes while I;m talking without trying to juggle stuff, and if I'm sitting in traffic I can answer calls with both hand still on the wheel by setting to auto-answer. So I guess I'll put up with the stupid blinky light.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I got one that matches my phone for Christmas

it was a gift and I thought I would never use it. But it's so lightweight I forget when I even have it on. If you have to use the phone while your driving, hands free is the way to go. I love mine now that I've gotten used to it.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I have the Plantronics model with the little blue light, too. It's made life easier for me when I'm at work. I leave my cell on my desk because it's harder to fasten on a cell phone for women, I think. I don't miss calls anymore. The only problem sometimes is the awkward moment when you seem to be muttering on to yoursel, An employee kept saying, "What? Me?" till I said, "Could you excuse mefor a minute, please? I'm talking to my husband! We were both embarassed.

They are getting very common where I work, so I don't think anyone really notices them anymore.

As far as security, I don't see in the booklet if it's a v1 or v2...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit