greendawn, this is for you :)

by onacruse 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• needproof
    needproof

I agree Bikerchic,

in the beginning, man created God.

• onacruse
    onacruse

The Interpreter's Bible (1952; a bit old, but a worthy resource) says (Vol. 8, p. 706, ftn.):

(vs. 14) appears to be a later gloss, for (a) it is a repitition of vs. 13a, and is superfluous after 13b; (b) the text itself is uncertain. Some important authorities omit it altogether..."

Of course, the point here is not that there is any textual uncertainty about the word "me," or the entire verse 14.

The point is that, in the 50 years since the NWT was issued, the best the WTS can do is to offer an obscure (to most readers) footnote in a Reference Bible that (and this is just my experience) sits unused on a bookshelf in the den? How many JWs would even know what those squiggly little Hebrew letters and a "p46" even mean?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Hi Onacruse and thanks for the interest. Like TD I checked out several Biblical versions in English and Greek and found that some have the "me" and some don't. I suppose this reflects different ancient manuscripts. But what will the dubs gain for their doctrinal positions by omitting that word? Bikerchic, using the sun as a symbol for a player in the Bible doesn't mean that this was derived/influenced from astrology or paganism. It is simply a symbol derived from the same outside source (cognate) and used by all. One side did not borrow it from the other. The sun could symbolise someone giving knowledge and understanding in abundance or revealing the things that the night (Devil, ignorance) conceals. Just the same, a cunning person can is called a fox in many cultures.

• onacruse
    onacruse
    But what will the dubs gain for their doctrinal positions by omitting that word?

Not praying to Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit