greendawn, this is for you :)

by onacruse 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

You've been looking hard for errors in the NWT.

Here's one for you: John 14:14. The NWT says: "If you ask anything in my name, I will do it." The W&H text (as given in the Interlinear) says: "If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it."

I wrote to the Society many years ago about this, as I was unable to find any explanation for this in the publications. The answer was theological, rather than textual. The only thing I've ever seen since is the footnote in the Reference Bible:

*** Footnote ***

Footnote Rbi8 John 14:14

"Ask," ADIt and in agreement with 15:16 and 16:23; P 66 ?BWVgSy h,p , "ask me."

As you can see, all the oldest Greek manuscripts have the "ask me" in the text.

I searched the WT CD, and still couldn't find anything more.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Well they couldn't very wel say it was a typo could they - not with the Almighty guiding their bethel presses!

You must have been a very earnest student of the bible in your time Craig and I admire that.

• needproof
    needproof

I have an error, check out Malachi 4:2

The WT have replaced the word 'sun' with 'son'. The verse should read:

"But for you who fear my name shall the SUN of righteousness arise with healing in HIS wings"

And this, ladies and gentleman, is Astro-Theology, the worship of the heavens.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    And this, ladies and gentleman, is Astro-Theology, the worship of the heavens.

No truer words. IMHO the whole bible supports the ancients belief in astrology after all what else did they have to look to but the heavens. The Sun of man makes perfect sense to me and was later to become by the Christians the Son of man.

• TD
    TD

Hi Craig

Interesting topic

I checked my own GNT's out of curiosity. The W&H (1937 ed.) brackets the me as a variant. The NA 27th does not.

Here's a sampling of English translations:

With:

NIV, NASB, NLT, ESV, CEV, NKJ, TNIV

Without:

AV, ASV, YLT, Darby, NLV, WNT, NWT

The Greek NWT does not have it (No surprise there) Neither does the Vamvas

I've read that the Coptic Boharic and Sahidic, Ethiopian and Slavonic versions do not have it either

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Notice who answers the prayer: "If you ask...I will do it." The reading "me" makes sense since Jesus claims to answer the prayer.

A clip from the KIT:

http://www.kotiposti.net/raamattu/jt/um/tutkimus/pic/kit-jh-14-14.jpg

• onacruse
    onacruse

Crumpet:

You must have been a very earnest student of the bible in your time Craig and I admire that.

Well, I tried to be! But credit for this goes to an unknown person I met in the late 70s, at a district assembly. He was out in the parking lot, handing out pamphlets. I stopped to talk with him, and a couple of elders (and my then-wife) warned me not to talk to apostates. Well, by that time I was already well on my way "out" (for the first time), so I kept talking, and read the pamphlet, wherein this NWT contradiction was mentioned.

Dang apostates! LOL

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Are you calling me onacruse???

• onacruse
    onacruse
    Are you calling me onacruse???

No, I was trying to call you Crumpet...but my fingers weren't working right!

• onacruse
    onacruse

TD, thanks for that research!

According to my Novum Testamentum Graece (23rd ed., 1957) Hort considered this reading (the "extra" me) doubtful, which may explain why you found that "The W&H (1937 ed.) brackets the me as a variant. The NA 27th does not."

Also, Lachmann included it, but considered it doubtful. Tischendorf included it (no surprise, since the Siniatic Ms. contains it)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit