Who knows us best? Spouses? Adult children? Friends?

by Paisley 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Paisley
    Paisley

I'm wondering about this lately. I've always assumed that spouses know us better than anyone else. But when I really think about that statement, what I personally mean is wives know their husbands better than anyone else knows them; but not necessarily the reverse.

I've also felt that our adult children know us pretty well, especially same-gender children. But is it true do you think?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Sounds like a subjective conclusion, but it must be true in many cases.

Whoever knows us best is who we choose to let out guard down to the most completely - which usually means whoever we feel safe with.

For me that would my dog.

<grin>

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My parents knew me for my whole life. So did my sisters. My ex wife knew me for over 20 years. While they may know more facts about my personal history than most people, none of them really ever understood me - who I am, how and why I think and feel the way I do about things. The person who knows me best is a friend I met on this board a few years ago.

W

• RAF
    RAF

Unconfused ...

anyway you are right I think, it depends on lots of things (maybe some know us better in some areas and others in others areas) for me globally I guess it would be my son anyway.

• Paisley
    Paisley

Unc

For me that would my dog.

<grin>

No kidding, right? So true (that it would be whoever we trust the most...)

• Paisley
    Paisley

Finally Free

My parents knew me for my whole life. So did my sisters. My ex wife knew me for over 20 years. While they may know more facts about my personal history than most people, none of them really ever understood me - who I am, how and why I think and feel the way I do about things. The person who knows me best is a friend I met on this board a few years ago.

W

A little sad, makes sense though...sounds like you had a natural connection with the person you met online. I'm glad you met him/her - better late than never!! Right?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Depends on the spouse, whether self-centered or sensitive to others' feelings and thoughts.

Adult children. No. Even though they think in all their grownup wisdom that they really know us better than we know ourselves Not even same gender.

Depends on how much you let your hair down with your friends. I haven't found anyone to be a close friend since I left the borg. And one person I THOUGHT I'd made a good friend turned out to be a phoney and a thief. I don't think I'll be trusting of people any more.

FB

• mama1119
    mama1119

Definitely not my spouse. He just does not get me at all. I would have to say my Mom knows me best for sure. My best friend used to be my #1 gal, but we have such different lifestyles know, that she doesn;t get me like she used to. I think I know my Mom best. She may have a different opinion, but I know otherwise. I can read her like an open book!

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Seriously - it's as much us and who we decide to let in as it is the other person/other. Some folks set out vibes that encourage it and then their actions after confirm or not that it was a good idea to open up.

Woof

• Paisley
    Paisley

I remember soon after my mother died my oldest cousin informed me that I "never knew the real ("Peggy")", that none of us children knew her like her own sister and her nieces (my cousins) knew her.

Well that might even be true, but who would say it?? So insensitive, especially while you're mourning her loss.

Family! Huh? Lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit