American Idol Ban by JW's?

by sammielee24 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

How many JW's do you figure watch American Idol? Even though it's really just a singing competition, the words and intent of the show in making someone into an American Idol/aka celebrity go against the grain of everything JW. I think this is something that should be brought up at the meetings in order to keep worldliness out of the congregations. Then I think they should be banning football from JW homes - the violence, the glory, the evil money that passes hands, the idolatry of the players and the cheerleaders all contribute to laziness, idolatry and take away from studying and the preaching work. Maybe if the witnesses get squeezed more and more in day to day life, they'll slide away more and more...sammieswife.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Don't forget "Wheel of Fortune".

Warlock

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I doubt that they would ever 'ban' watching football. Officially (in print), that is.

I remember waaaaay back when... before VCRs... when there would be a big game on Sunday. If you were in the KH that had the meeting time in the middle of the game, there would be a lot absent. If you were in the KH that had the meeting before the game (or after it), the meeting was packed with refugees from the other KH.

In other words, folks would go to a convenient meeting so that they would not miss the big game.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Warlock
    Warlock

At one of the Elder/MS meetings, the CO did address the football question. He said that while football is a violent sport, and violence is part of the game, it is not the POINT of the game.

He also said we shouldn't watch boxing, because the point of boxing is to win BY inflicting violence on another person.

Warlock

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

I wonder how many dubs have appeared on the Weakest Link?

• hubert
    hubert

What about "Deal or no Deal"?

These people are plainly "Gambling".

Plus, the girls come out in very skimpy outfits, and it could cause the young j.w.'s to "Stumble".

Hubert

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

there is nothing more demonic then Family Fortune's

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Hey...I say - you want the numbers to roll backward, start forcing them to give up the last few joys in life. No more American Idol. No more game shows. No more sports. No video games. No internet. .....All that's left to enjoy is food. Pretty soon all the young ones will rebel until no more baptisms. Pretty soon the older guys who are forced to give up their football will fold. Every household handing over their video games will see dire consequences I'm sure. As for the internet - not too many people I know in this day and age can go without the internet - so that will be a problem. Pretty soon the numbers are so small that they can build a compound to house them all. Let them spin their wacko nonsense from inside until they implode. sammieswife.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

American Idol must be fine for JWs since a JW performed at the finale last year....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Pretty soon the numbers are so small that they can build a compound to house them all.

I wonder if it will ever get to something like that. They will have to shrink pretty
    small beforehand. While not officially banning IDOL or FOOTBALL, they already
    make it clear that JW's need to be careful about the association they allow in
    through the television. They really come down hard on boxing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit