World War 2 "dog tags"

by onacruse 16 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Yes Leolaia, but do you know where they buried Jimmy Hoffa?

She does!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Crumpet said:

Hopefully when he returns the tags to one of Seth's relatives he might find out how they ended up in his garden!

That's exactly what we would like to know. Craig was just raking up some leaves in the backyard when he found the dog tag. He's been rotor tilling the entire yard to replant grass and we've found lots of trash few treasures but this one is by far the best find.

We're pretty excited to get this much feedback on JWD of all places (thank you Leolaia and Been There) we totally exhausted our efforts of finding them on the Net. It was looking like dog tags don't mean much to anyone I was surprised to find that out. The Military doesn't have an interest in them being returned at least no where on the websites could I find a place for returning dog tags to the families. Probably too much trouble....our tax dollars NOT at work, sigh.

We'll keep y'all updated on what happens next.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

When all else fails then its JWD that fill the gap or seemingly so. Was fascinated with all the responses about the dog tags, I still have mine from The Army.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I wonder if the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) would have any interest in this story? Maybe "The Army Times" would like it as a "human interest" story.

VFW: http://www.vfw.org/

Army Times : http://www.armytimes.com/

• onacruse
    onacruse

NN, I was thinking more like the Oprah Winfrey show? LOL

You have a good idea.

It looks like we might have a lead...we'll let ya'll know what happens.

Thanks for all the help!...although neither Kate nor I had any doubts.

• troucul
    troucul

I'd like to think that all soldiers would like to keep their dog tags...unless your name is John Kerry

• onacruse
    onacruse

Thanks to Been There, we were able to make contact with one of the family. The "closest" living relative of Seth is his niece, who won't be available for a couple of weeks.

It seems that after the War Seth became a successful real estate developer. He domiciled in S. California, but how he ended up, for a time, here in Oregon, is still uncertain. Perhaps his niece will be willing to tell us more.

In any case, the tag is going back home to the family!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit