World War 2 "dog tags"

by onacruse 16 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

Doing some yard work last month, I found a WW2 dogtag in the dirt. I'd like to return it to the family, but haven't been able to find a way to determine where they are. All I could find on the Net was a site for the same purpose set up for VietNam vets' tags.

Here's how the tag reads:

Seth A Dempsey

15055352 T41-2 O

Roy Dempsey

Fayetteville, W. Va P

I have been able to determine, based on records for tags made at this time, that the "number" identifies him as Fifth Army Corp; the T41-2 identifies when he had his tetanus shot; "O" is his blood type; "P" means he was Protestant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Craig - thats really interesting. I think if I had exhausted all resources on teh internet and phone directories then I would probably see if my local library or museum could helo - maybe even the local newspaper would be interested in making this a little human interest feature? And who knows who you will meet or what you might find!

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

You might want to phone your local Veterans Administration office, and report your 'find.'

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

According to the SSDI, there was a "Seth Dempsey" (234-12-4905, issued in West Virginia), who was born in 6/14/1916 and died in December 1978. According to the CDI, "Seth A. Dempsey" (234-12-4905) was born on 6/14/1916 in West Virginia and died on 12/15/1978 in Ventura Co., California. According to the WWII Army Enlistment Records, "Seth A. Dempsey" was born in 1916 in Fayette Co., West Virginia, was enlisted as an Infantry Private on 9/2/1940 in Fort Thomas, Newport, Kentucky, and he had 3 years of high school and worked in civil life as a truck driver. He was 5' 9" and weighted 169 lbs. at his enlistment, and he was also single with no dependents. According to the 1920 census, "Seth Dempsey" had an older sister "Myrtle Dempsey" (born in c. 1913), a younger sister "Fay Dempsey" (born in c. 1918), and a younger brother born in c. 1919. His parents were "Roy Dempsey" (born in c. 1880) and "Loren Dempsey" (born in c. 1891), and the family lived in Fayetteville, Fayette, West Virginia. Roy Dempsey worked as a stone mason. "Seth A. Dempsey" (born on 6/14/1916) is listed in the Dempsey Genealogical Exchange and the contact is "Arthur Dempsey". Considering that Seth died in California, it might be noteworthy that a "Seth Bland Dempsey" was born in Alameda Co., California on 8/2/1952 (mother's maiden name: Spangenberg) and a "Seth B. Dempsey" (age 54) is listed in the US Public Records Index for Sebastopol, California (I have the address and phone number).

I hope this information aids your search!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Yes Leolaia, but do you know where they buried Jimmy Hoffa?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Remarkable work, Leolaia!

Are you by any chance a descendant of Sherlock Holmes or Professor Augustus S. F. X. van Dusen?

Craig, do you have any theories on how the dogtags happened to be buried (how far down?) in your yard? Is there any evidence that the tag owner once lived there? What a great little adventure you've begun!

• Been there
    Been there

Craig,

I talked to a Jean Dempsey in Fayetteville who said that she was related by marriage to a Roy who had a Seth. Very sweet lady. She gave me the number of a Mz. Wendell who would have the info you need probably. PM me.

Been there.

P.S. Fort Thomas & Newport are the next towns over from me!

• Been there
    Been there

I located Seths second cousin in W. Virginia. Craig please P.M. me for her info.

Thanks Leolaia she conformed from your info.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

How cool this little network of ours is. Its like we can find out anything between us and all of its is freely exchanged. I hope onacruse comes back to check soon and is pleased at how well you have unravelled part of this mystery. Hopefully when he returns the tags to one of Seth's relatives he might find out how they ended up in his garden!

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

You guys did great in finding the information...I am sure that the family will love to have these tags returned to them. Great job all involved, and thanks for caring about others. That is why you are no longer JW's you acutally care for "wordly" people.

Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit