Starting a band

by TR 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• OrangeVale Bob
    OrangeVale Bob

Ok, how about Mick Taylor, he started with John Mayall then moved on to the Stones. Ever wondered why Exile on Main Street was such a sharp departure from their evolving style? Next is Peter Green. He started with John Mayall, as well and then helped found Fleetwood Mac. As long as I'm on a roll, give a listen to Bert Jansch and John Renbourn.
    All of the above are more than worth the time to listen, and probably most can be downloaded on Napster.
    My Guitar of choice is my 1960 Martin D28, although it seems to collect way too much dust.

• larc
    larc

Ladies and gentleman,

I loved reading about your zest for music and what joy it gives you. You mentioned the artists you like, some I know and some I don't. I love music, but I don't have the talent to do anything about it like you do, so if I can't do it you have to do it!

One artist that Simon mentioned means a whole lot to me and that's Bob Dylan. I won't even go into "All along the Watchtower", because I assume you all know that one, but there are some others that come to mind that reminds me of our common heritage. I think it's in Positively Fourth Street where what he says reminds me of how we were treated. "Look out kid there's somthin' you did, God knows when, but your doin' again" Or the words to Maggy's Farm, that appies to us if you take out Maggie's Farm and put in the WT. "They hand you nickle, they hand you a dime, they ask you with a grin if your having a good time, then they fine you every time you slam the door. I ain't gonna work on Maggy's farm no more."

Another one is the name of a song. The words don't fit us but the title does "Going ninety miles an hour down a dead end street."

Another song that hit me was about hypocrisy all around us: "It's all right ma, I'm only bleedin."

Well, I don't know. I think I broke into here like a maniac, but I just had something I had to say.

I have to leave now and go back to my cave and read the Dead Sea Scrolls.

• OrangeVale Bob
    OrangeVale Bob

Come writers and critics who prophesy with your pen
    And keep your eyes wide, the chance won't come again
    And don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin
    And there's no telling who that it's naming
    For the loser now maybe later will win
    For the times they are a-changin'
    The times they are a-changin'-Bob Dylan

• Simon
    Simon

I really like the gospel type stuff he did - the Saved album is fantastic.
    Hmmn...time for me to add sound clip embedding I think...

• thinker
    thinker

"If you're in you're in if you're out, you're not"
    OMC
    Thinkers Wife

• thinker
    thinker

"It doesn't mean much, it doesn't mean anything at all, the life I have left behind me is a cold room. I've crossed the last line from where I can't return where every step I took in faith betrayed me and led me from my home..."
    Sarah McLachlan
    Sweet Surrender
    Thinker

• Snowball
    Snowball

.....and to the one you thought was on your side....
    .....she dont understand, she truly believes the lie.....

Tori Amos
    [Space Dog]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit