Starting a band

by TR 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• TR
    TR

I've been toying with the thought of starting a band. So far it's a one-man band, for I know few in the music world where I live. What I want to do is purchase a mixer so I can edit my own bass, drum and guitar tracts. I may include some trumpet and violin tracts from my kids. They are pretty good musicians themselves. The equipment has a zip drive that can be downloaded to my computer, where I can then burn cd's.

The band will be called "Apostacy". The music I tend to play is hard rock/jazz fusion. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.

Tom

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think that sounds really cool. I like the name of the band. LOL

Path

• AhHah
    AhHah

Tom,

What artists are most similar to the music you play? Do you write music/songs? Cool name. -- and would you spell it "Apostasy" or "Apostacy" -- any intended difference?

I fool around with the guitar -- I am not any good, but it amuses me sometimes. I have a Taylor acoustic 810 dreadnought (spruce and Brazilian rosewood) -- it plays very loud and clear, very bright and sweet sounding. I wish that I had more musical talent. When I have tried to put together some chord progressions to come up with a song, my mind remembers ten other songs with the same progressions and I can't get past them mentally. Does that make any sense to you?

How about you, Frenchy? Have you written many songs for guitar?

Any other musicians out there? What instruments do you play? Do you write songs?

• Simon
    Simon

I've got a guitar but I don;t play it as much as I should. It impresses the kids though and they like to strum it while I do the chords.
    I'm into folk rock - mainly Bob Dylan.

• TR
    TR

AhHah,

I just mispelled Apostasy, I guess.(did I mispell mispelled?)

Some of the musicians/bands that influence me are Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, Megadeth, Metallica, Ministry, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Godsmack, Black Sabbath, among many more.

I know what you mean about the chord progression thing. When I'm playing new music that has a similar sound, sometimes I'll merge parts of both to make one song, otherwise I'll change it or scrap it and start over. I've developed several guitar instrumentals so far, but have not written them down or named them yet. I can't sing very well, so I don't try.

The guitars I have are a Fender strat and a Samick Gibson style(in the photo). I tend to favor the Samick. It has a light,thin body, and I like the dual coil setup. It looks like a black devil with two short horns of equal length. The guitars are plugged into a Korg multi-effects pedal and a DOD "Grunge" fuzz box, which plugs into a Fender amp. Just got back into the guitar last year. My hiatus during Jdubdom made me loose precious years of playing.

Tom

Edited by - TR on 16 November 2000 1:8:8

• claudia
    claudia

TR, I love all the bands you listed. Jeff Beck is awesome. One of my favorite songs from him is Come Dancing. But the band that is my favorite is Led Zeppelin. Im a rock person. No rap or country. Some classical.

• thinker
    thinker

I love Joe Satriani. Didn't know anyone else except for the person who introduced me to him, who ever even heard of him. I play piano. Not well. Had to sell the piano when we got married not enough room. Love to sing. Got my husband some harmonicas for Christmas. We love jazz, the blues, rock, folk, classical. Have an awsome CD collection. Everything imaginable.
    TW

• waiting
    waiting

Hey AhHah,

Just wanted to say "hey." Glad to see your name. I don't get into playing music. Just like to listen to rock & roll *really* loud.

Enjoy.

waiting

ps - your turn to bring the Krisy Kremes Sunday Web Meeting.

Edited by - waiting on 26 December 2000 21:14:15

• RR
    RR

Gary Moore .... RULES!

Did you know there's a Heavy Metal band called WATCHTOWER?

"People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones"

• Seven
    Seven

TR, You may have lost precious years of playing time but glad to see you're making up for it now.When I fool around with my guitar it's BB King, Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughn time. Here one of my EC clicks:
    * http://www.coastweb.de/12bar/unplugged.htm

Seven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit