I had a 5-minute part tonight! And I got a "G"!

by AlmostAtheist 27 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey Guys,

Rejoice with me! I went on stage tonight at The Surly Girl Saloon on open mic comedy night! Just managing to get up there was huge for me. But it worked! They laughed! I was so happy!!!

I opened up with an apology, for having been a Jehovah's Witness for 20 years. After my set, the MC said, "Dave will be autographing Watchtowers in the lobby, be sure to pick up your copy." LOL

It was definitely one of the better experiences of my life. It felt SO GOOD! Like being high, but without all the legal ramifications.

I'll be there again next week. And the week after. And the week after... Gotta get my fix!

Dave

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Way Cool!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Congrats, dude. Stand up comedy looks pretty scary to me. How did you handle the nerves? Or are you just so slick that it doesn't faze you?

• orbison11
    orbison11

wow aa that is so cool

that is also my secret...to be a stand up

i am a mature female, but i have been told by almost all of my clients, etc, i am funny, quick funny

i have often thought of sitting down and writing a gig

i do write down some of my funnys

tell us more about your monologue, i would love to hear it

wendy

• I quit!
    I quit!

That is great! With comedy you have to stick with what everyone is familar with and every one has had a dub at the door. I wonder what reaction you will get from them if you ever have any j-dubs in the audience. It sounds like fun but I could never do it.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> Stand up comedy looks pretty scary to me. How did you handle the nerves? Or are you just so slick that it doesn't faze you?

Yeah, the "slick" one. :-)

I was nervous as hell! And of course, the guy that went before me just HAPPENED to be really, really good. (Damn!) But I figured, there's no one here that knows me. (I asked my friends not to come) If I totally bomb, I'll just leave and never come again. So it was pretty comfortable. I said, "For twenty years, I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses" and someone called out, "Oh, I'm SO sorry!" The audience WANTED to hear my stuff. It was nothing like giving a talk at the Hall. These people CHOSE to come of their own free will, and they wanted to be entertained. Such a feeling, GOD! I loved it.

>>that is also my secret...to be a stand up

You've got a great background for it -- you were a JW and you know the Bible. And women in comedy are few and far betwixt. Look up "open mic" in your area. (Google it) Find a place and go for it! I attended three performances before I felt ready to give it a go. It's quite a confidence builder, since many of the open mic guys really suck. You think, "Well, I may suck, but no worse than THAT guy!"

>>i am a mature female, but i have been told by almost all of my clients, etc, i am funny, quick funny

Go for it! Work up your routine and see what happens! (And be sure they really have a barstool to put your notes on. Or write them on your hand...)

>>tell us more about your monologue, i would love to hear it

Thank you! I wish I had a tape of it, but alas. And it's pretty delivery-dependent, so writing it out doesn't work so well. The opening was: "Before we get things underway here, I think I owe you folks an apology. For 20 years, I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. [pause][hang head] I'm sorry. [pause] I was the guy that came to your door at 9 o'clock in the morning, on a Saturday, to talk to you about Jesus. Jesus, a man that -- according to the Bible -- stayed at a party so late that everyone was already drunk and the booze was all consumed... then changed several gallons of water into wine. A man, in short, that knew better than to call on you at 9 o'clock in the morning on a Saturday."

See? Reading it just doesn't fly. But it worked tonight! Woohoo! (Yeah, still pretty high from it!)

>>I wonder what reaction you will get from them if you ever have any j-dubs in the audience.

I wonder about that too. But I figure I'll say, "Do the elders know you're at a bar after midnight?" That should make for some fun! ;-)

Dave

• orbison11
    orbison11

ok dave, now i am your problem/progidy lol

i am going to write down my funies as i say them,

then set together a bit

keep me informed of your progress, please

wendy

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>keep me informed of your progress, please

And me of yours! I look forward to your "WooHoo!" post! ;-)

Now I'm going to progress to bed, since doing stand up for free doesn't pay the bills and showing up for work -- even bleary-eyed -- still does.

G'night, ladies and gentlemen!

Dave

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I like your attitude! Seems like you handled your bidness.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

too cool.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit