Forgive Us Our Trespasses

by RR 10 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

Forgive Us Our Trespasses

Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses...has changed its position on numerous long-held beliefs and practices during the past few years. At the heart of those changes has been an acceptance that salvation is by grace through faith. While this was preached in the past, it was always coupled with the message that God owes us a reward for our works that build holy, righteous character.

For decades we regarded scrupulous adherence to us as the basis for your salvation. We attempted to relate to Jehovah God through Watchtower rules and regulations in our fervent desire to please him.

In his mercy, Jehovah has shown us that Watchtower obligations do not apply to Christians who are under the new covenant. He has led us into the riches of his undeserved kindness and a renewed relationship with Jesus Christ. He has opened our hearts and minds to the joy of his salvation. The Scriptures speak to us with fresh meaning, and we rejoice daily in the personal relationship we have with our Lord and Savior.

At the same time, we are acutely aware of the heavy legacy of our past.

The Holy Spirit is working today in the Governing body to heal historic wounds and restore good relations between offenders and offended. It is our painful responsibility to acknowledge that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has been among the offenders.

Our flawed doctrinal understanding clouded the plain gospel of Jesus Christ and led to a variety of wrong conclusions and unscriptural practices. We have much to repent of and apologize for.

We were judgmental and self-righteous—condemning other Christians, calling them "babylon", "Christendom", "apostates" and labeling them "deceived" and "instruments of Satan."

We imposed on our members a works-oriented approach to Christian living. We required adherence to burdensome regulations of the Watchtower code. We exercised a strongly legalistic approach to church government.

Our former approach fostered attitudes of exclusivism and superiority rather than the teaching of brotherhood and unity.

We overemphasized predictive prophecy and prophetic speculation, minimizing the true gospel of salvation through Jesus Christ.

These teachings and practices are a source of supreme regret. We are painfully mindful of the heartache and suffering that has resulted from them.

We've been wrong. There was never an intent to mislead anyone. We were so focused on what we believed we were doing for God that we didn't recognize the spiritual path we were on. Intended or not, that path was not the biblical one.

As we look back, we ask ourselves how we could have been so wrong. Our hearts go out to all whom our teachings have misled in the Scriptures. We don't minimize your spiritual disorientation and confusion. We earnestly desire your understanding and forgiveness. We recognize that the depth of alienation can make reconciliation difficult. On the human level, reconciliation is often a long and difficult process over time. Yet we pray daily for it, realizing that the healing ministry of Christ can close even the deepest wounds. We make no attempt to cover up the doctrinal and scriptural errors of our past. It is not our intention to merely paper over the cracks. We are looking our history squarely in the face and confronting the faults and sins we find. They will always remain a part of our history, serving as a perpetual reminder of the dangers of legalism.

But we cannot live in the past. We must rise above our past. We must move on. We say, with the apostle Paul: "Forgetting the things behind and stretching forward to the things ahead, I am pursuing down toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God by means of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14).

We have set our minds and hearts on Jesus Christ and trust explicitly in him. We have never been more thrilled about the state of our fellowship! We are pooling our energies and moving forward in preaching the gospel worldwide and equipping our local congregations to be healthy examples of the body of Christ. We are using the spiritual gifts we have been given and capitalizing on the intense dedication to Jesus Christ—now rightly channeled—which has long characterized our Society.

So we stand today at the foot of the cross—the ultimate symbol of all reconciliation. It is the common ground on which estranged and alienated parties can meet. As Christians, we all identify with the suffering that took place there, and we hope that identification will bring us together.

We desire to meet there with anyone we may have injured. It is only by the blood of the Lamb and the power of the Spirit that we can put the hurts of the past behind us and move forward toward our common goal. So to all members, former members, disfellowshipped and disassociated and others—all who have been casualties of our past sins and mistakes of doctrine—We extend our sincerest heartfelt apologies. And we invite you to join us in proclaiming the true gospel of Jesus Christ around the world.

Governing Body of the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

If only it were real...then that would be great.

• Rooster
    Rooster
    We have set our minds and hearts on Jesus Christ and trust explicitly in him. We have never been more thrilled about the state of our fellowship! We are pooling our energies and moving forward in preaching the gospel worldwide and equipping our local congregations to be healthy examples of the body of Christ. We are using the spiritual gifts we have been given and capitalizing on the intense dedication to Jesus Christ—now rightly channeled—which has long characterized our Society.

Yet they teach that the Kingdom Halls are the only buildings of true worship & salvation can only be attained through meeting attendance!

• RR
    RR

Interestingly, the above letter is an actual letter, only of course it wasn't written by the GB to the rank and file. It was written by the leadership of the Worldwide Church of God (Herbert Armstrong) to the rank and file after Armstrong died and the new leaders begame orthodox, losing essentially everything. I simply made a few modifications.

RR

• heathen
    heathen

well, dead give away was the cross mention . The governing body is more likely to publish something blaming everybody else but themselves for prophetic failures and false teachings. Fall in line and don't ask questions type of thing would be more their style. Nobodies perfect but they will admit they aren't yet claim it's not their fault God chose them and so everybody should just have to give them a free pass for their mistakes without even expecting an apology.

• The Mayor of Turiwhate
    The Mayor of Turiwhate

Pigs will fly first before the GB will admit otherwise than that they "aren't wrong - even when they aren't right!"
    - and that "you better believe it - just because we say it is so!"

The Mayor.

PS: Correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't noticed any pigs going into orbit this last little while!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Interestingly, the above letter is an actual letter, only of course it wasn't written by the GB to the rank and file. It was written by the leadership of the Worldwide Church of God (Herbert Armstrong) to the rank and file after Armstrong died and the new leaders begame orthodox, losing essentially everything. I simply made a few modifications.

RR

Oh? So that's what real humility looks like, eh?

Well, it's nice to see that some people have it!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Good read........ thanks RR

• heathen
    heathen
    PS: Correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't noticed any pigs going into orbit this last little while!

I'd keep an eye on the flying pig alert , they may one day realize that their policies actually killed some people and caused alot of suffering . LOL

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Very Good read, I have said to several people that this is the only recourse the GB or JW have to save face and save themselves would be to write a letter like this one. I don't know if we will ever see it but it would be the right thing to do.

abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit