Are wedding rings pagan?

by Sam87 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam87
    Sam87

Hi everyone, i was on myspace having a discussion with a JW about wedding rings. Does anyone know if wedding rings were made to worship a false God? this is what he said

-----------------

this is a very funny question, because often when I come across a opposers of Bible truth and explain to them about how certain 'so-called christian' holidays actually predate Christ's ministry on earth and all the traditions associated with xmas, easter, valentines, etc. were designed to honor false gods, they often come back with "well, wedding rings are pagan too and you people wear them!"

of course, when I ask them to tell me which false god the wedding ring was designed to honor?

-----------------

does anyone have any answer to this? i would really appreciate your help because he is really getting on my nerves, and ive been in many many discussions with him about the JWs and their false teachings.

thanks for your help everyone :)

From Sam.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes they are - even the WTS admits they are

• Sam87
    Sam87
    Yes they are - even the WTS admits they are

really! you wouldnt happen to have any of the quotes on you would you? i would love to drop this one on him

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I heard that wedding rings were originated from ancient Egygt , something to do with connecting to the spiritual after life

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I think there may be a footnote reference in the revelation book about wedding rings being of pagan origin; I dont know where my wt cd rom is though.

• Mystla
    Mystla

I believe this is what you are looking for: http://www.reexamine.org/quotes/wedding_rings.htm

Misty

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The answer is yes in a historical viewpoint,....... then again so is are yearly calender that we use !

• needproof
    needproof

The Jews previously worshipped a whole manner of different Gods, including the planet Saturn. The ring used to represent the ring of Saturn. Saturn was given the name EL, which is why you become an EL-der, why you become EL-ected and IS-RA-EL is a combination of all the God's worshiped by the ancients, ISIS, RA and EL.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

The placing of the wedding ring on the "ring finger" is also of pagan origin. In Christianity it was originally symbolic of the couple being subject to and wed/bound by vow in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They are splitting too many hair (it's propaganda in fact to demonise their opponents) over the pagan origin of things the point is how people view them and they certainly don't view them or use them in a pagan spirit eg Christmas. The names of many months and days are pagan too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit