My Bethel Experience part 7

by new boy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

People would ask me "how long do you plan on staying at bethel" I would say "forever!.....or 4 years which ever comes first"

Besides the about 48 hours you worked there a week, you would have other duties too. There was dish duties. Since the waiters worked about from about 6 in the morning to about 4 in the afternoon, they needed someone to do the supper dishes. About once a month the bethel family got that privilege........Funny thing is you NEVER saw the heavies go them. They we fun especially in the summer time. The worst job was working the dish washing machine "HOT END" there was 2 brothers loading the front end and 2 guys taking the 140 degree dishes off the back end (your hands were on fire).That is were I first meet Dave Borga. He was the waiter that was in charge that night...........He put me on the HOT END......by myself.....he just set up on a counter laughing.......It was like that "I LOVE LUCY" show were she is in the factory with a conveyor belt...........any way that was the last dish duty for me.

Then you had the watchmen duties.........Once every 2-3 years in the home. It was an all night duty and started about 9 p.m.The Watchman would get a day off.......you would fill in. IT was very creepy. It was dark and you had to walk through all 3 buildings 119, 117 and 124 (not the 129) Three times and punch the time clock you had with you. At about 3:00 a.m in this dark basement of the 124 all of a sudden this guy jumps in front of me and SCREAMS..............I thought I died. It was guess who?....It was Peter R......the real night watchmen, he said "he couldn't sleep.......and wanted to have some FUN with me"! what a JERK..............about 2 years later, he was asked to leave bethel........It seemed he liked to sneek into the sisters bathrooms in the 117 building and lock the toilet door..........and do some free PEEPING. I guess all those long nights by himself........got to him. He is and Elder in Salem Oregon now.

There was another guy, while I was there, who could beat that one.............He would sneek into MARRIED couples rooms (in the middle of the night) and lay on the floor next to the wife ....and copped a feel..............Now you know why Knorr hated belelities.

Any way we got side tracked.......back to dish duties. Why do a dish duty?...........When you could get somone else to do them for you. So we would trade them or sell them..........There was this ONE guy Allen Richards who would do your 2 hour dish duty for .89 cents, that was the price a 1/2 gallon of "Canadian Ace" beer.........the worst beer ever made.I bet him felt great the next day! So if you could get some poor schmuck to do it for .89 cents and you could get some side job for $1.75 and hour...................do the math!

Which brings us to the next subject......"G" jobs. NO ONE really knows were the name came from.......But it is, any job you did to make more money....outside of the 22 dallors a month bethel gave you.........They were many different types. Some guys in the press room ran "the paper route" started at 3:00 a.m on sunday mornings............I did it once......not for me........Some guys did cartering jobs at weddings, great tips plus you could keep all the half drunk wine bottles, when it was over. There was a waiting list, to work there. Some guys painted apartments........My friend Jim Pipkorn.....worked a funeral home in "the village"...........The stories I could tell you about that place, that would be a whole 2 page thread in it self. Dave Borga, Jim Pipkorn's room mate was the King of all "G jobers".....They still talk about him to this day in the "new boy talks"..............He had a FULL TIME job working the night shift at toy factory in Jersey.................thats right almost 90 hours a week of work!......Need less to say he did last long, at that pace.

I worked washing pots and pans in and high end restaurant 3 blocks from bethel in "the Heights"....To this day, I will not order turkey and dressing in a restaurant........They would serve these little loafs of bread in there.......and people would eat half of them.....they would put out their cigaretts butts IN them......the waiters would bring them back to the kitchen and throw them in a box, on the floor, next week it was?.......................wll you guessed it!

I also so worked in two liqueur stores one in "Inwood" and one in "The Heights" ........Hay $1.75 an hour GOOD money. I was making .08 cents an hour, working for Jehovah........I guess Jehovah doesn't believe in minimum wage.........the extra 10-20 bucks a week made a BIG difference, in ones comfort there........Once or twice a week, you could get a "Hero and a Quart" down at Pioneer deli (that was the name of the place, believe it or not)...............If you were really rolling, you would buy a chuck steak and frozen french fries and cook it up inyour room, on your electric skillet.....THAT MY FRIEND WAS LIVING!.

One day at lunch on Doc Dixon's table the whole upper dinning room was pretty quiet. One table was really loud, it was the tour table............he keep looking over and giving them a look like "how dare they disturb my eating......I said "you tell they are NOT bethelities".....he knew what I meant.......and said "I think you have a bad additude about bethel"............I said "I have a bad additude about New York City" He said "Are you kidding..........look at all the great things you can do here, you have the plays.......and fine dinning!"................I said " Brother Dixon............I don't know your New York City........Our New York City is a hero and a quart of beer once a week...............if we are lucky."

I knew a guy who who was mugged in New York.......The guy put a gun to his head and said "give me your money or I'm going to blow your BRAINS out"!........The man said " YOU better shoot........because I know one thing.............you can live in New York with out brains....but you GOT to have MONEY"!

P.S.......that is the only story, I have told that is NOT true.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

another enjoyable read

• betty boop
    betty boop

That's pretty funny! I used to visit Bethel ALL the time in the late 80's and early 90s as a kid. The city was a lot better but it wasnt great. Downtown brooklyn still had a lot of crime, albeit it being one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city.

Maybe that loud tour table were my parents and their friends? A bunch of loud, racous Dominicans from Queens

I always wondered, did a lot of Bethelites get action? LIke with married sisters in Bethel, or sisters in the KH's? I always wondered

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Another great story, New Boy!

Love reading these!

Pope

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

"G-job" stood for government job. I never found out why but that is what I was told. I worked in electrical maintenance so I had plenty of opportunity for g-jobs. $25 per hour. That was apparently not good for New York City but it was great for a Bethelite from the midwest who had never earned more that $17 per hour back home. Four hours on a Saturday and 6 hours on a Sunday and I would make as much money as I received from Bethel for 3 months of work. (When I was at Brooklyn we were pullin down $95 per month) My night watchman assignment was over at the factory. I always thought it was pretty sad that they had to have us use those punch cards as proof that we had actually made the rounds. I guess the governing body had no delusions about Bethelites being honest about their actions. They knew they were a bunch of liars so they must have figured that most Bethelites would also lie.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Long work days under bad conditions. Pervs creeping around the buildings. It sounds like a wonderful place to go mad. I don't think Disneyland has to worry about Bethel stealing their title as the happiest place on earth. I'm glad you survived your stay there New boy. I don't think I would have. Keep the stories coming.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hi NewBoy,

Another great read.

Did you ever come across a locked Bethel library which another member of this forum mentioned visiting? Supposedly, it has old Russell stuff in.

• pratt1
    pratt1

I am enjoying your stories but It disturbs me that your Bethel experience did not allow you to really get to know our great city. As a native New Yorker, I had many bethelites in my congo in Brooklyn and me and my friends made sure that we always included the bethelites in all of our entertainment activites.

One of the first things we used to do was to take the bethelites on a sightseeing trip to the Statue of Liberty, Coney Island, the Empire State Building , WTC , and a few musuems.

We always took them to baseball, and basketball games, and movies and plays. Of course we always picked up the tab for the guys, we understood that you guys were making a sacrifice for Jehovah, so we felt that you deserved what ever help we could give.(Boy, I really sound like a deluded dub)

Because of its diversity, sports, culture and entertainment, NYC is one of the best cities in the world to live in. I know it has its faults, expensive is just one of them, I would never trade my time spent there and I hope your time spent in Bethel hasn't soured you on our city.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings again new boy,

Another great post!. Your experience at "Bethel" will no doubt edify some here. Also I just noticed you've been here since '02 hardly a "new boy". Thanks again.

Dismembered

• gymbob
    gymbob

New boy(Keith)~

Hey I forgot about the watchman duties!

I knew one guy who would breeze threw his watchman assignment on rollerblades, until he got caught!

I remember one night I was walking along about 2am on a watchman assignment in the basement of the old Squibb bldg. There's about 2 inches of water on the floor, dripping from the ceiling. It's real quiet and dark as hell. All of a sudden I hear this ruffling-blowing sound right behind me....scared the living S**T out of me! It seems the home crew had made a display of manaquines (SP?) on a scaffold to show the bethel tours how they wash windows in NYC, and it ended up in the basement with a really thin clear plastic cover over it. When I walked past it, the slight breeze blew the cover away and there I was, looking at these figures with their arms up right behind me! GYMBB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit