ok, so we all know about myspace, but there is another big network out there called Facebook. It's a pretty exclusive thing, you have to have a college email address to get in, etc, but anyhow, there's different groups , and of course, there's a big JW group.
So I joined the group, and just said that I was raised a Witness, and I left but that I miss my mother, etc.
Then I noticed that this was posted:
Anisha Camp (New York, NY) wrote on Feb 1, 2007 at 8:00 AM I am NOT a JW but I have some family that are. They are a bit weird to me too. Can you please explain your doctrine to me?So I posted this ( credit doesn't go to me, its been posted all over this website- I think we all put it together or something):
Here's some of the basics to get you started:
1. Jehovah God is not a Trinity
2. The doctrine of the Trinity is inspired by Satan
3. Jesus Christ is a created being, who at one time did not exist (a.k.a.Michael the archangel)
4. The Holy Spirit is not a person but is "God's active force" i.e. gravity, electricity etc.
5. Heaven is only for select Jehovah's Witnesses
6. Heaven is limited only to 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses
7. Jehovah's Witnesses are the only true Christians
8. There is no Hell (It is simply the grave)
9. There is no life after death (except for the 144,000)
10. Salvation is by good works not by Grace
11. You cannot be sure of salvation
12. Jesus is not to be worshiped or prayed to
13. Jesus did not rise from the dead bodily but as a spirit being
14. You are discouraged from attending college
15. The "first resurrection" occurred in 1918
16. All pastors are the "Antichrist"
17. All churches are of Satan
18. All governments are controlled by Satan
19. You cannot take a blood transfusion
20. You cannot be a police officer
21. You cannot salute the flag, stand for the national anthem, or own a flag
22. You cannot serve in the military
23. You cannot buy girl Scout cookies
24. You must attend five meetings per week
25. Jesus'second coming occurred in 1914 (only known to Jehovah's Witnesses)
26. You cannot marry a non-Jehovah's Witness
27. If one does not follow the rules of the Watchtower they will be shunned
28. You cannot read Christian literature from a Christian book store
29. You cannot be a cheerleader
30. You cannot celebrate any holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.)
31. You cannot celebrate your birthday
32. You cannot run for or hold a political office
33. You cannot vote in any political campaign
34. You cannot serve on a jury
35. You are discouraged from giving to charity (except Watchtower causes)
36. You cannot speak to former members who are shunned (disfellowshipped)
37. You cannot accept Christmas gifts
38. You must read and study Watchtower literature regularly
39. Only Jehovah's Witnesses can understand the Bible
40. Angels direct the Watchtower organization
41. Jesus did not die on a cross but an upright pole
42. You cannot own or wear a cross
43. You must report your witnessing activity to the elders
44. You must go from door to door weekly to gain converts
45. You cannot have friends who are not Jehovah's Witnesses
46. You must refer to all Jehovah's Witnesses as "brother" or "sister"
47. You cannot play chess*
48. You cannot understand the Bible without Watchtower literature to explain it
49. A child abuser is reported to Watchtower elders and not the police
50. You must forgo vacations to attend annual conventions
51. You are discouraged from buying a two door car-A "Theocratic" or "spiritually strong" Jehovah's Witness will have a full size car for the door to door work
52. Men cannot wear beards
53. Men must wear short hair
54. Women cannot pray in the presence of men without a hat
55. You cannot have a tattoo
56. You're forbidden to use any tobacco products
57. Only officially approved sexual practices are allowed in marriage
58. You must appear before a Judicial committee if you are caught breaking Watchtower rules (Secret files are kept on all members which record these meetings-these files are kept in New York and are never destroyed)
59. You must not own wind-chimes (they are for chasing away evil spirits)*
60. You cannot read any anti-Jehovah's Witness material
61. You cannot use pet foods made with blood or blood products
62. You cannot join any clubs or sports teams
63. You cannot wear jade jewelry*
64. You cannot purchase Christian products (books, music, plaques, pictures etc.)
65. You cannot wear any Christian jewelry
66. Jehovah's Witness meeting places have no windows
67. If you see another Jehovah's Witness breaking the rules you must turn them in to the elders to be interrogated
68. Jesus could have sinned and failed in his mission
69. Jesus was not born the savior but became the savior at his baptism
70. The Watchtower organization is God's prophet on earth today
71. Women must submit to Watchtower elders
72. You cannot support your country
73. One must study Watchtower books at least six months before he can be baptized
74. Before baptism, one must answer over 80 questions in front of a panel of elders
75. Most of The Book of Revelation applies to the Jehovah's Witnesses
76. You cannot celebrate Mothers or Fathers day (it may produce pride)
77. Kingdom Halls cannot have pews for seating
78. JWs are are fobidden to say "good luck"
79. God is not omniscient "all knowing"
80. God is not omnipresent
81. God only speaks through the "Governing Body" in Brooklyn, New York
82. The Holy Spirit is only for select Jehovah's Witnesses
83. The Lord's supper is only to be eaten by select Jehovah's Witnesses (144,000 group-99.99% of Jehovah's Witnesses are forbidden from taking the Lord's supper)
84. The Lord's supper can only be offered once per year
85. JWs in times of crisis, are strongly discouraged from consulting with family counselors, including mental health professionals who are not Jehovah's Witnesses
86. Only faithful Jehovah's Witnesses will survive Armageddon
87. If you have a non-Witness spouse your first loyalty is to the elders over your spouse
88. Jesus was equal to Adam (just a man)
89. Judgment day is 1000 years long
90. If you leave Jehovah's Witnesses or are expelled from the organization you will not be resurrected
91. Only Jehovah's Witness prayers are heard by God
92. Man's salvation is secondary in God's plan; Jesus was sent to "vindicate Jehovah's name"
93. God will destroy all non-Jehovah's Witnesses at armageddon
94. You forbidden to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes.
95. You must never enter a church building
96. You must never attend a church service
97. You cannot be involved in martial arts, boxing or wrestling
98. You cannot participate in a school play
99. You cannot donate blood or your organs when you die
100. You can never question what is printed in Watchtower literature
10l. You are forbidden to attend a funeral of an ex-Jehovah's Witness
What they're called...
-JW services are called "meetings"
-JW hymnals are called "song books" (all songs have to be composed by JWs)
-The JW religion is referred to by the Witnesses as "The Truth"
-The JWs call themselves "The only true Christians"
-The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society Inc. of Brooklyn, New York is called "God's Organization"
-In conversation JWs call Watchtower headquarters "The Society"
-All other religions (pagan, Christian, or any world religion) are called "Babylon the Great"
-All Christian pastors and ministers are called the "Antichrist"
-Changes in doctrine is called "New Light"
-The five meetings JWs must attend are called:
1. Public Talk
2. Watchtower Study
3. Area Book Study
4. Theocratic School
5. Service Meeting
-A non-Witness is called "a worldly person"
-A person who rejects the JW message is called a "goat"
-A person who is studying to become a JW is called "a study"
-God's judgment on all non JWs is called "Armageddon"
-The JW Bible is called "New World Translation
-The door to door work is called "the Service"
-Those who bring "new light" or new revelations to the JWs are called "The faithful and discreet slave"
-JWs who have an earthly hope are called "Other Sheep"
-Old term for earthly hope "Jonadab"
-JWs who have a heavenly hope are called "Anointed Remnant"
-A JW who is enthusiastic is called "theocratic"
-Every JW is called a "Publisher"
-Part time door to door workers are called "Auxiliary Pioneers"
-Full time door to door workers are called "Regular Pioneers"
-Full time door to door workers who have stricter quotas than Regular Pioneers, are called "Special Pioneers"
-Appointed Local leaders are called "Elders"
-Appointed Local helpers/workers are called "Ministerial Servants"
-The group responsible for discipline are called "The Judicial Committee"
-A traveling Watchtower representative is called a "Circuit Overseer"
-The Circuit Overseer's boss is called "District Overseer"
-The District Overseer's boss is called "Zone Overseer"
-The Zone Overseer's boss is called "Branch Overseer"
-The Brooklyn, New York Headquarters is called "Bethel"
-Headquarters workers are called "Bethelites"
-A person who is a weak Witness is called "unspiritual" or "Un-theocratic"
-A JW who is publicly disciplined by the elders is called "publicly reproved"
-A JW who is privately disciplined by the elders is called "privately reproved"
-A JW who rejects Watchtower teachings and leaves or is expelled is called "an apostate"
-A JW who breaks any of the Watchtower rules and does not repent to the elders is "disfellowshipped" (Shunned)
-A disfellowshipped person who wants to return to the organization, repents to the elders and is called "reinstated"
-Jehovah's Witness meeting places are called "Kingdom Halls"
ok, so good enough, then I get this reply:
Shauna Jensen (Georgian) wrote 2 hours ago To richard,Ok, so can anybody put together a good answer to all the points brought up? Cause I'm drawing a SERIOUS blank here. Thanks.
How can you state some of these things??I have a few problems in your "doctrine"
9. "there is no life after death" I think this statement is completely ridiculous. The why would we be preaching to people?? Why would we always be talking about the ressurection?? And why would jehovah satte that all preaching about and serving him will be resurected?? Where did you get the "no resurrection" thing from" Who told you that?
24. "You must attend 5 meetings a week". It is suggested and teached that you attend all 5 meetings. You will not be disfellowshipped if you do not attend all 5.
26. "you cannot marry a non jw" False. It is suggested strongly that you marry a jw. But it is not a law.
34. "You cannot serve on a jury" That is a conscience matter that you decide on.
46. "You must refer to each other as brother or sister" Again you "must" do nothing. You can call them Mrs. or Mr
47. "You cannot play chess" I have played chess many atime with brothers and sisters.
51. "must not have a two door car" Seriously?? I know plenty of people that have two door cars, including elders.
54. "Women cannot pray in the prescense of a man with out a hat" Where did you get that from?? That is very unaccurate there is not rule or even advice to even justify that.
57. " approved sexual pratices" I won't even go there with that one.
68. " jesus sinned and failed" how can you say that.
83. We are not forbidden from participating in the lords evening meal. The 144000 choose to because they are chosen by gods holy spirit. We are not and we respect the decision. that is why we do not participate.
93. "God will destroy all non-jws at armageddon" That would not be a right and just god. He will no destroy those who have not had the chance to hear about jehovahs god and his message.