The Blasphemy Challenge

by Elsewhere 26 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sorry Else, but no matter how much I like ya I have to call it a little childish (the action, not you personally).

It's right at the bottom alongside burning an American flag, in my list of things that genuinely make a point and a difference in life. "Yayy, look at me, I can burn an American flag, I'm not scared of your guns, tanks, grenades and nukes, etc. !" "Yayy, look at me, I can cuss at GOd on video. I'm not scared of your lightning bolts and hell, etc."

I'm not even sure it has theraputic value to those engaging in it, though it does take a cheap potshot at the beliefs of a significant section of humanity.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

if there is a god, and this god is ALSO the literal omniscient YHVH reinvented-jesus of nazarene raised as the christ, then youtube is not going to change anything for me. simply having thought the thought should be enough for a perma-tan. and simply said, i cannot help but think some of the thoughs i have thought.

not that i am really the least bit concerned about there being the above said god.

plus, i am an entire being. who needs someone elses spirit?

tetra (of the 'screwed from the get-go' class)

• DrMike
    DrMike

If I die before receiving my free DVD, do I get my soul back ?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

To deny it you must receive it first - well according to LDS theology:

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 76:34 - 35)
    34 Concerning whom I have said there is no forgiveness in this world nor in the world to come—
    35 Having denied the Holy Spirit after having received it, and having denied the Only Begotten Son of the Father, having crucified him unto themselves and put him to an open shame.

Harder to do than one might expect according to Joseph Smith:

All sins shall be forgiven, except the sin against the Holy Ghost; for Jesus will save all except the sons of perdition. What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin? He must receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and know God, and then sin against him. After a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, there is no repentance for him. He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it. ("The King Follett Sermon")

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Qcmbr... sounds like the LDS theology is based on Hebrews 6:4ff:

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance

Narkissos... interesting article, although it reminds me of PZ Myers' half-joking suggestion that theologians use the word 'Oom' to refer to their idea of deity, since it's so different from what most people thing of as 'God'. I certainly don't begrudge Price's practice of Christian liturgy if it has deep psychological significance to him, but I can't help thinking that by adopting the language of Christianity, he's contributing to the perpetuation in people's minds of a belief-system that he disagrees with.

Granted, it sounds like his scholarship makes up for that.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

This may be a good way to keep people from preaching to you.

"Would you like a free home bible study?"

"No thanks, I commited to unforgivable sin so it would be a waste of time."

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Sorry Else, but no matter how much I like ya I have to call it a little childish (the action, not you personally).

The main reason the participants say "I am not afraid" is because there are many people who are truly frightened to express their doubt, or even think about doubt, after having been indoctrinated with the fear of eternal damnation all of their life.

This is a very liberating act which helps to encourage fearful believers and closet Atheists to express their doubt in a way that is self empowering.

I also think the Blasphemy Challenge helps to demonstrate to believers that Atheists truly do not believe by committing the unforgivable sin. I know this because I have had many believers tell me that they don't think I really doubt the existence of god. They speculate that I'm "hiding from god" because of something I have done in my past (basically making accusations in a passive manner)... then they go into a shpeal about god's forgiveness and other such things trying to get me to "come back to god". They fail to realize just how offensive this is. It would be no different than if I accused a devout Christian of participating in the religion for no other reason than guilt stemming from some horrible act they committed in the past.

With the Blasphemy Challenge, an Atheist can demonstrate that there is no fear or latent belief.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    If I die before receiving my free DVD, do I get my soul back ?

THAT made me laugh harder than i've laughed in weeks!! LMAO

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I spent a lot of time looking at the videos. The most pathetic videos were the ones that said something against The Blasphemy Challenge.

Poor little boy. I think the videos like his were the most telling....

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    I also think the Blasphemy Challenge helps to demonstrate to believers that Atheists truly do not believe by committing the unforgivable sin.

You know that I don't harbour any of those silly thoughts about what you do and don't secretly or subconsciously belief, however: by naming it you bind yourself to it; by believing it has any worth, it has power over you.

Reverse psychology is a real thing. This is a ritual that has nothing but negative reinforcement for the performer.

Just my 2p

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit