My Bethel Experience part 4

by new boy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• gymbob
    gymbob

Great stories Keith! I worked the Smyth book sewing machines for the first year I was there, god what a job.

For those of you who are interested...

Production (what they demand you do each day) was 8,000 books for each machine. Most books back then were 192 pages and had 6 signatures or sections to sew together. So each day you would sit at this machine covered with string and glue, flipping signatures on a apron in front of you, one about every second, about 50,000 times a day. Your right foot started and stopped the clutch that kept the machine moving, and your left foot hit a peddle every 5th signature that you threw down and that put glue on the backbone of the signature to glue it to the last signature. Then your left foot would hit a different peddle that would cut the strings and start sewing the next book. If you messed up along the way, the book was stripped of the string and given back to you to sew again....

If that wasn't enough, every 3 signatures had a lip on the edge that changed every third one, so your fingers had to remember where you were at in the stack of books in front of you.

Some of us would compete against each other to relieve the boredom. There was a guy named Dave Straud from Tennessee who was a absolute freak about his machine. He had been sewing books for around 3 years when I got there. Nobody could come close to his machine, don't even think about touching it. What a basket case he was, but he was a great book stitcher! Unfortunately, because he was such a freak he was stuck way back in the corner so the tours couldn't see him.

I was on the other end of the line, right in front of where the tours go by, that was where I met the Jackson family when they took a tour of the factory back in 77'. We got counsel from the breakfast table the next morning because some guys got up from their machines and went over to say hi. Oh yea, good times.... GYMBOB

Keith, I remembered my Floor Overseers name...Mike Ersland!

• gymbob
    gymbob

Blueblades~

I knew Harold Dies, he was in my cong., Kings County in Brooklyn. Nice guy...

• new boy
    new boy

Harold Dies was a fruit cake...........alot of those old timers were weird......guys in their 70's that never got married. A friend of mind went to his room in thr 124 one time, it was winter time it was a little chilly in the room........so harold asked him if he was cold........he said "a little" Harold had a fake fireplace in his room so he went over and turned it on. It had a 25 watt light bulb in it, it even made crackly noices....................He said " isn't that better?"............and then there was the "Dick Dasdorly" incident.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Thank you, New Boy!!!

• RAF
    RAF

... ...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

New Boy:

Don't you have to go to "school" to get secular abilities??? You know..as in "HIGHER EDUCATION" that they discourage? What hypocrisy!!!

Wake up lurkers! You better go out and get an education.

LHG

• new boy
    new boy

This be Bethel weekend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit