What will it take for me to stop this?

by sibboleth 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Do whatever you feel comfortable doing. You, like me and many others suffered alot of emotional abuse growing up as JW's, and if you feel a need to vent, then by all means vent away. I will be on these XJW boards for the rest of my life. I want people to know that JW's are a destructive cult, so hopefully they can spare themselves, or at least their children from a life of misery.

• RAF
    RAF

I'm coming back to this thread

Just to say that you have been a good read for my sister (we were talking about the elder's job as helper) and your post was just what I needed (about what it is all about).

Thanks

and Welcome BTW !!!

• becca1
    becca1

Welcome! What you're feeling is natural. We all feel the same way. Some days are better than others and eventually you will reach some sort of acceptance. Learn to treasure each new day and move on. Make today the start of a new life.

• sibboleth
    sibboleth

btw... i am from Indiana, and I love basketball... my Hoosiers just lost to Iowa... one of the posts suggested I join the Y or play in a bball league - actually, I started a company league back in September - having a blast. I never would have done that as a JW. They always frowned on playing softball or volleyball or basketball with coworkers... bad association...

What is nice now is that I am not afraid to discuss my upbringing as a JW with others now - before I would never talk about being a JW, now I say I used to be one and they sympathise with me and cant believe all the things I could not do.

I didn't mention it, but today is my birthday - I turned 41 today - maybe that's why I'm posting - feeling like I need to vent about spending 40 of my 41 years as a JW - and now the rest of my life has just begun. I actually am going to celebrate my birthday tomorrow with my DF'd sister - in conjunction with watching the Colts beat the Bears in the SuperBowl...

talk more later...

• sibboleth
    sibboleth

wOw... my Mother just called me - like a few seconds after posting my last comments!

She and Dad wont associate with me anymore, but she just called to say she remembered 41 years ago what a cute baby I was... we spoke for about 3 minutes.

She doesn't talk about anything in particular - and I am cautious to upset her by saying anything controversial... I just said I appreciated the call and that I love her...

she asked me what I was doing this weekend and I told her I was watching the SuperBowl with my sister (who is DF'd) and she quickly ended the convo... oh well...

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Happy Birthday Sibboleth.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome sibboleth!

And if you want to chat, you can usually find at least a few of us here in the evenings, and various times through the day:
    http://gabbly.com/www.jehovahs-witness.com

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings sibboleth,

Just read your post. You're just like 1000's here. Right one the money! Welcome to JWD!

Dismembered

• lola28
    lola28

Hi! and welcome

Gosh, I don't know what to tell you, I was lucky I was not raised a witness but I began to study when I was 14. I'm sure I missed out on a lot of things but I can't live my life regreting everything I did up until I left and neither can you. Something that I learned late last year is that life is really,really short, and you should not waste it. The Society may have taken a lot from you but NOW the only one that can be held responsible for anything that happens in your life is YOU. Sit down and really think about what you want and then do whatever it takes to get because no one is going to hand it to you. Be happy.

**BTW your Pacers killed my Lakers last night**

And happy birthday.

Lola

• sibboleth
    sibboleth

Thank you for the welcome messages and good wishes. I plan on finding fulfilment in life - beyond the WT. I'm glad I have this site to help me on the journey - to stay centered and not let my past over shadow my future. Hopefully, as I get accustomed to sharing things on this forum, I can reciprocate in some small way to you all.

Best wishes to all - have a great rest of your weekend. I will sign back on tomorrow... nite!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit