Do You Really Need to Know the Truth Again?

by Clam 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam

Are we better people when we’re looking for the truth, rather than when we’ve found it? When I thought I knew the truth it didn’t make me a better person, it didn’t give me peace of mind or facilitate self discovery. If anything it released negative qualities such as arrogance and misanthropy. I wanted to share what I’d discovered but no one was interested. So I became paranoid and smug, knowing that one day they’d all find out I was telling the truth. Truth for me wasn’t enlightening at all.

I call it truth, because at the time, for me, it was.Now I don’t know what the truth is I feel so much better. I can explore and learn, hypothesize and dream. I don’t know truth, but to be honest I like it that way. When you look for something it’s an adventure. When you’ve found it, it’s time to stop playing and go indoors.

Do you really need to know the truth all over again?

• RAF
    RAF

NO ... actually faith or christian attitude (it's the same = you believe in what is good for everyone) is enough (then it's all about how you feel/act towards others - that's when reality about what is right and wrong is obvious) When we focus too much on fiding or having the truth we might miss the reality in what is really important in everyonce life.

• becca1
    becca1

Trying to find truth beyond "the golden rule" is the problem. That's when we become dogmatic. judgemental and nit picky. That's when we start to impose our views on others calling them "truth".

• freyd
    freyd

The Passover in Type and Anti-type

?Now all these things happened to them [as] types, and have been written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come. 1 Cor. 10:11 (Darby)

Keep the Big Picture in Mind http://www.mostholyfaith.com/

"This well pictures the passing over of the antitypical firstborn (the true church of God, the 144,000) during the Gospel Age. None of the world of mankind is in danger of the second death during the Gospel Age, only the antitypical firstborn, the saints. Others do not yet have enough light and therefore do not have that level of responsibility."

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Clam: I share some of your sentiments, also. I doubt I will ever know the truth. I am leery of those who claim to know the truth as I can see how I once was in them. It's not the destination, its the journey. The Watchtower society was just a speed bump on the journey. My plate is half full so I have room on it for anything that looks tasty or delectable. Sometimes I even empty my plate and start all over.

when you say you wanted to share what you discovered but no one was interested. That is because what we discover becomes our opinion. Opinions are like noses, everybody has one. On the other hand when the student is ready the teacher appears. Sometimes you don't even know you are the teacher that day. Sometimes you don't know your the student until you reflect on the day.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Humans need "food".

Humans need "activity"

Humans need "security"

Humans need "information"

Actually this is true of all animals to some degree.

These needs vary from one individual to the next.

"Truth" is really information that we feel is accurate and useful for orientation and making decisions.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I think finding truth is finding Jesus. Having found Jesus, I can still stay on a path to learn and hypothosize. I will never claim to know the truth about every single thing. Simply put, I am not God.

We once thought we knew it all. That's what made us stop thinking. There's a difference in knowing truth about one subject and thinking you know the truth about every subject.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Now I don’t know what the truth is I feel so much better. I can explore and learn, hypothesize and dream. I don’t know truth, but to be honest I like it that way. When you look for something it’s an adventure.

Beautifully put. Amen brother.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I think finding truth is finding Jesus. Having found Jesus, I can still stay on a path to learn and hypothosize.

Reneeisorym, I'll never be able to share the same mindset as you or perceive the world the way you do but if it works for you I'm happy. I've seen you post good advice to newcomers here and a lot of that clearly stems from your faith. I also try to offer assistance in my own way.

The fact that the two of us are so different and yet can share an empathetic approach and offer the hand of friendship to individuals on their way out of the cult doesn't simply speak of our common root in the Kingdom Hall or even that we've both triumphed over it. It proves our humanity.

Whether we arrived this way through natural selection or design, I'm glad the world has people like you in it.

Nic'

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit