Ever hear an experience at an assembly that you KNOW was slanted?

by Bonnie_Clyde 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember one at a district assembly. A brother was being interviewed as to why he never chose over time work at his job. He said he worked for a small printing company and that he was content with working regular hours.

What he didn't tell us that he was vice president of a rather large printing company, made about four times as much as the hourly employees, was salaried so overtime didn't matter, and that his house and car were all paid for. He wasn't hurting a bit financially.

Bonnie

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Yea...My mom got a co-worker to join up. The story got re-told after the womans kid's came around to the "troof" a couple of years later. The 'experience' was a 'little' bit altered to say the least....

~Hill

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup... I used to give demonstrations like that. The CO or DO would ask me if I had ever studied with anyone... which is a loaded question because nearly all JWs have studied with one person or another at some point in time.

He then told me to tell the audience about how I found the person and started studying with them. I pointed out that this happened years ago, it was short lived and nothing ever came of it. He told me that those details were not important or relevant to the demonstration and to just leave them out... which is what I did (per his instructions).

The demonstration was given and the audience applauded thinking that I was on the verge of baptizing a new person.

• cab1000
    cab1000

I was IN a demonstration during a one or two day (maybe three?) assembly in Indianapolis, years ago. It was my whole family. My Mom and step dad were both pioneers, and us kids (3) each said something (can not even remember), but I know that whatever I said was NOT what I was thinking at the time! It was a joke, because how could anyone really benefit, when us kids were not even telling the truth!?! I think I have a picture of that day somewhere...(all three of us kids are out of the org.)

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Many years ago, my mom and stepdad were asked to tell how they handled having 5 kids, being a jw, and working. They portrayed us as the "perfect JW family".

Which of course was a bunch of BS. Mom was so depressed, and hated my stepdad, she never came out of the bedroom (that they didn't share.) He was molesting me. I was raising my siblings. I had already ran away from home once, and had made it known to them I didn't want to be a witness.

All I could do was laugh!!

shelley

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The weekend I was baptized there was an experience given that sounded vaguely familiar in some respects. Later on someone told me the "experience" was about me. Most of what was said was outright lies.

W

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I didn't hear it, but I heard about it:

The second Circuit Assembly after I DAed my [then] wife was involved in an interview to do with living in a divided home, and stated that I wasn't supporting her. Folks started approaching my family, afterwards, commiserating with how bad I had turned out!

This was on the background of my continuing to pay everything and providing all the running costs for the car that I had bought her to Pioneer in. She had recently taken a few hours of a parttime job, which I had encouraged her to keep for herself for her own treats, as there hadn't been much slack in the income when I was the only household earner.

While it has nothing to do with the experience, the followup to the story is that she later started squirrelling away hundreds of pounds of money with her parents, with their full consent (obviously). There was no reason for it, as there had never been any indication from me that I would ever leave her destitute if we ever broke up (quite the reverse). It seems that she wanted to make sure she came out on top with at least half of everything and her own little nestegg.

As it happened I left her with the home and all the contents and continued to pay all the bills for the next six months, and the rent and rate for a further six months. I also took all the debt, and there were no savings to split (though I later cashed in a joint life insurance policy that I had taken out, and split the proceeds). I look back and think I was a bl**dy idiot, but at least I knew I did all I possibly could to make her comfortable and reduce the effects of the decision that I had made to DA. Twisted logic? You betcha!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

You mean those stories weren't entirely truthful? But...from an organization which is so truthful, how could this be???

• MeneMene
  • MeneMene
    MeneMene

I was a young adult before I found out those experiences were not true.

One in particular I remember is a couple that got up and told how their 3 kids all grew up to be wonderful faithful JWs. I grew up with those kids and knew nothing could have been further from the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit