JWs and Gambling

by JohnnyMarr 29 Replies latest jw friends

• JohnnyMarr
    JohnnyMarr

I've been inactive for a while and I can't remember the JWs stance on gambling. I'm kinda big into poker now and I want to know what to expect if I'm televised or spotted in a public tournament. Is it a disfellowshipping offense, public reproof offense, or conscious decision?

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

I am somewhat pretty sure that gambling is a disfellowshipping offense.

• avishai
    avishai

Nice handle, Johnnymarr!! Why are there so many JW Smiths fans? Dunno, but I noticed it...

As for the tournaments, shoot, wear sunglasses and a hat!!

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Yep. If you're seen you'd be a goner.

As any spy worth his salt will tell you, the two dead giveaways are the shape of the ears and the way you walk. Like a fingerprint, we all have individual walks.

Remember to go as an Amish brother, with long hair to cover the ears, along with a beard.

Oh, and another thing. Put a pebble in your shoe, to walk with a limp.

You can win [or lose] as many matches as you want, and no one will know - except of course for the 400 odd of us on JWD. We can always negotiate a renumeration for our collective silence.

Coming to think of it, it might be cheaper to get disfellowshipped.

Cheers

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Gambling is a d/f offense.

Working in a gambling establishment and even free lottery tickets can be grounds for d/f

Awake! 1994 August 8 p.15 Is Gambling for Christians? What if a person is offered a free lottery ticket or free money to use for gambling? In either case, accepting such an offer would still be supporting a gambling operation—an operation out of harmony with godly principles.

Watchtower 1995 May 15 p.23 “In 1976 it was clarified that no Witness could be employed in a gambling establishment and remain in the congregation.”

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

If you're in the Witnesses you are gambling with your life! And the odds are not too good.

As to Poker, I wouldn't worry too much, as what JW's would be watching the event?

Outaservice ( Numbers for Saturday nights Lottery are: 3-15-24-25-39-44 )

• Mary
    Mary

It's a DFing offense. Which means the Craptower Society won't be getting one cent when I win the 649 tonight.

• Mulan
    Mulan

wow, that's interesting..................... was sure it had been downgraded to a lesser offense.

JW friends of ours went to Las Vegas a year or so ago, and played the slots all the time. The husband is an elder. They met his sisters and their husbands there for several days, and all of them are JW's and all of them played.

Are you sure there hasn't been new information since 1995? I think it's now called petty gambling.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Mary, I though I was gonna win... Maybe this Saturday :)

• JH
    JH

JW's can't gamble but they can lose all their money in bad investments on Wall Street.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit