Anyone been to Barcelona????

by Crumpet 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'm off to Barcelona in a month's time and wondered if any of you have been and could recommend hotels, restaurants, areas to visit etc?

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Ask Free Chick. She just went there and surely knows all the spots.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Anyone been to Barcelona????

Barcelona Population: 1,593,075 (2005)

Looks like at least 1,593,075 have been there. Sorry - I feel like a smart-ass today.

Jeff [hey someone had to do it.]

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Hey Crumpet,

I've been there a couple of times. You'll love it. It's the best city in Europe.

I haven't got time now, but I'll try and make a list for you of what I enjoyed about it.

How long are you there for?

steve

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

LOL Jeff- thanks for that! Least I won't be lonely when I get there then.

Hopefully free Chick will see my thread when she comes back from surfing and celebrating!

Thanks Stevenyc would appreciate any hints. I am going for 3 days so I really want to get as much architecture and culture and paella and rioja in as is possible in that period.

• lowden
    lowden

stevenyc

You'll love it. It's the best city in Europe.

Listen Steve, i know it's all down to opinion but.....Paris walks all over Barca, anytime of the day. What about Florence or Venice...or Rome?

Crumpet, go see the Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's breathtaking cathedral), Parc Guell (Gaudi designed again). You will no doubt end up walking down Las Ramblas. Careful of pickpockets!! They are really clever at distracting you.

Go see the old town,where the Picasso museum is. Even if you're not enthralled by Picasso the area is lovely.

The Palace with the huge beautiful collanades at the bottom of the avenue (opposite the old bull ring).

The fountains (night time is best).

There's loads to see and do,just go to Placa Catalunya (a main square) and pick up the tourist bus that takes you all over the place. You can get off and on any time you like.

Have fun it's an amazing place

Peace

Lowden

• zack
    zack

I so envy you the freedom you guys have in Europe when it comes to traveling to so many of the world's greatest cities.

Enjoy your trip!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Ditto on everything Lowden said. (Even the part about Paris...was just there in September!!)

I suggest seeing anything and everything Gaudi, because you won't see anything like it anywhere else. Be sure and visit the homes he designed...just all a wonder.

Fountains at night on weekends when they play the music.

Picasso museum as well and Gothic quarter.

Be prepared to dine late and they have a most serious siesta...2-3 hours and NOTHING is open...you have to go with the flow.

Enjoy!!! I am envious.

• FreeChick
    FreeChick

WooHooooo...happy dance...Crumpet is going to Barcelona!!

How long will you be staying?

I agree about seeing everything Gaudi, even if the art isn't your taste. The Picasso museum is beautiful too. One surprise, though, I wasn't expecting all the graffitti everywhere.

Let me try to remember some places and get back you. I really enjoyed the tapas at Micky's on Las Ramblas. I sat at the bar there many hours on several occasions. It's a little difficult to plan anything there because businesses don't really keep set hours. They may open, they may not. Siesta is the best!!! Be ready to stay out LATE! Oh and I fell in love with the people, they were so warm and friendly...can't wait to go back again soon, very soon.

I'll PM a link to my pics later....

FreeChick

• Do Not Call
    Do Not Call

We've driven through to get to the Grand Prix circuit in Montmelo.
    The Montserrat mountains are stunning, but I can't remember how far from Barcelona they are.
    DNC

PS. Please can I come? I'm jealous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit