So Smart you become an idiot.

by Sparkplug 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Have you ever known people that are quite genius? They amaze you with the intelligence they have and yet in everyday life they just do not have the brainpower that god gave a goose.

I married two of these type of people and I always had to wonder how things like the universe, God, science and quantum physics can be spoken with ease...and yet the simple things absolutely escape them.

Why is this? Are we only capable of one type of 'smarts'? Can we possibly not hold social and intellectual skills at such a level together? I have noticed a pattern concerning most extremely smart people I have come into contact with. They seem to be able to handle one side of life and not the other.

Who can you think of that handles both at a level that makes them balanced? If so, what is it that makes the difference? How did they cross the line and handle both sides of the personality in a manner that evens them out? (so to speak)

Decki

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

ok, so maybe idiot is a strong word...

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Good questions.

I think you're discussing the difference between IQ and EQ.

http://www.frugalmarketing.com/dtb/eq-iq.shtml

Where these get developed is dependent on many factors, including environment, genetics, education, etc.

My bf's brother is as you describe. He's got a whopping IQ but lacks EQ. He spends most of his time on the computer playing games and has difficulty with emotional expression. He almost seems autistic at times, but then again, "To be male is to be slightly autistic." (Can't recall where I read that quote.)

tall penguin

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Distinctions: EQ v. IQ

By Susan Dunn, MA

DEFINITIONS

EQ - is a measure of your emotional intelligence, or your ability to use both your emotions and cognitive skills in your life. Emotional intelligence competencies include but are not limited to empathy, intuition, creativity, flexibility, resilience, coping, stress management, leadership, integrity, authenticity, intrapersonal skills and interpersonal skills.

IQ - a number used to express the apparent relative intelligence of a person that is the ratio multiplied by 100 of the mental age as reported on a standardized test to the chronological age. IQ is the measure of cognitive abilities, such as the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new situations; the skilled use of reason; the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests); mental acuteness; logic and analytical skills.

COMPARISONS

EQ gets you through life vs. IQ gets you through school

Appealing to reason and emotions to convince someone vs. Trying to convince someone by facts alone

Using your emotions as well as your cognitive abilities to function more effectively vs. Relying solely on your cognitive skills

EXAMPLE

Samuel had a high IQ. He could reason, was analytical and logical, and had a steel-trap focus on tasks. He learned new things quickly. However, he ignored how he was feeling and how others were feeling. If things didn't do the way he expected them to, he would lose his temper and lash out at others. He was unable to relate to people who weren't as smart as he was and lacked empathy. This limited his ability to be effective in team situations even though his IQ was very high.

Jose had a high EQ. He got along well with people, and managed his own emotions well. This made him highly effective in his work, even though there were others in the firm with higher IQs. Jose was able to consider the emotional component of interactions, using both his cognitive abilities and his understanding of emotions. He was able to influence and motivate people because he understood what mattered to them and was an excellent communicator. His authenticity and integrity made him a natural leader. He was flexible and creative when faced with a challenge, and resilient in the face of temporary defeats. He was well-liked and well-respected.

KEY POINT

Your EQ has more to do with your success and happiness in life than your IQ and emotional intelligence can be learned.

RELATED DISTINCTIONS

Knowing how and why vs. Knowing what

Knowing how to motivate each person vs. Treating everying as if they operated the same way which they don't

Managing emotions and using them for good results vs. Being at the mercy of emotions because you don't understand them or know how to work with them.

BENEFITS

When you recognize the difference between EQ and IQ, you can work to develop your EQ. It can be learned but has often been neglected in our education both at home and at school.

Ah thank you tall Penguin! Being that I am not of the IQ class....I did not even know there was an EQ factor. lol

I like what this has to say. Now I guess I need to go and spend some time reading about EQ. Perhaps raise my IQ.

I think a lot has to do with this one line:

EQ gets you through life vs. IQ gets you through school.

and perhaps this one:

When you recognize the difference between EQ and IQ, you can work to develop your EQ. It can be learned but has often been neglected in our education both at home and at school.

I have a brother who is amazingly smart....yet he shrinks from a hug. I have never seen him just cut loose and dance or be silly. Emotion escapes him and yet he is the fastest moving and money making person I have met due to his intelligence level. I have noticed when something is emotional it seems as if he feels it at a level that will break him. As if addressing emotions is out of his reach. I have often wondered why is it so hard for him to feel.

• acadian
    acadian

Have you been talking with my wife?
    She's always telling me "Your so smart, you are an idiot" Mostly she just tells me the "I'm an idiot" part... Just kidding, my wife love's me, and as soon as the restraining order is dropped I'll ask her to make sure. OH, I forgot to say... Hi Sparky! Mike

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Have you been talking with my wife?
    She's always telling me "Your so smart, you are an idiot" Mostly she just tells me the "I'm an idiot" part... Just kidding, my wife love's me, and as soon as the restraining order is dropped I'll ask her to make sure. OH, I forgot to say... Hi Sparky! Mike

LMAO...very funny!

I noticed your avatar is a chicken! .... yours? I just thought of you yesterday when a fellow worker was speaking of her chicken being taken by a raccoon and she was so hurt. I remembered the story you told my daughter of your chicken dying and well I thought of you. Glad to see you found me first before I was riddled with guilt for not getting in touch faster.

Is it not amazing how the Social people are usually attracted to the intellectual people? I know I am. Half the time I don't "get" them...but it does not stop me from admiring them. lol

BTW...If you are truly of the one class, then that beautiful wife of yours must be amazing!

• RAF
    RAF

... ...

never really read anything as long and clear as this on EQ
    but truly something was weird on people relaying so much on :

• IQ (regarding to the way it is calculated and what it means exactly)
    • School (we relay on other people IQ)
    • Books (we relay on other people IQ and well I guess sometime EQ)
    • Scientist (how many time did they fail before to find anything when it's not by hasard or only theories)

I've read one day somebody saying : I like people who are booksmart (what does that mean exactly? How smart is that?)

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I read somewhere that each normal person has some genius and some common sense and there's an invisible rope that connects the two. An excess of one or the other stretches that rope.

Perhaps, Decki, your ex's have broken ropes.

Fats

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

• We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. ~Albert Einstein

• If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't. ~Emerson M Pugh~

I find it funny that Einstein said that....!

And Raf~ Booksmart vs. Streetsmart IMO streetsmart wins each time...Until it comes to paychecks. lol

• acadian
    acadian

That's Mr "C", Charlie the chicken, our rooster.

Glad to see you found me first before I was riddled with guilt for not getting in touch faster

. If you are talking about me, I'm very happy I could help, even in a little way.

Is it not amazing how the Social people are usually attracted to the intellectual people? I know I am. Half the time I don't "get" them...but it does not stop me from admiring them. lol

I'm not attracted to either group, I just like people on an individual bases, I don't care who/what they are.

BTW...If you are truly of the one class, then that beautiful wife of yours must be amazing!

The only class I belong to, is, the Smart/Dumb A$$ class...lol...and yes if you really knew me, you would know just how Amazing my wife really is to put out up with me. 27 yrs with me, how does she do it, women are simply amazing, and deserve a hell of a lot more respect in my opinon. Your Friend
    Mike

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit