Can you hear this?

by free2beme 14 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

This is the most popular ringtone for young people today, as it allows them to hear something that most people over the age of 40 can not. Test it out, can you hear it. I could, but then again I am only 36. I have tested it with several people and many of them could not hear it. What is funny, is those who can not hear it, often think I am playing some sort of joke and that there is no noise coming out of the speakers, when there is. This is not a joke, if you hear it, you will believe me.

http://www.jetcityorange.com/MosquitoRingtone.html

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I couldn't hear the one you posted but I looked up another article and their file seems to be different and I could hear theirs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/12/technology/12ring.html?ex=1184130000&en=b0c5e3bb75af6dc5&ei=5087&excamp=mkt_at10

tall penguin

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I told my doctor about this ringtone this week. I can easily hear it. I played it for my boyfriend and he can't hear it (he's older than me). BTW, audibility depends on both volume and frequency, so even a very high frequency sound can be heard if you turn the volume up high enough.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

BTW, I think the original ringtone was not just a 17Kz tone but an undulating variable freq tone that sounds quite irritating to those with better hearing (originally used by some shops to discourage teenagers from loitering around outside).

I remember well when I was 8 or 9, when I was taken out in field service, I would often know from across the street whether or not someone was going to be home, because I could hear that high-pitched whine (at 15-16 kHz) emitting from the householder's television whether or not the volume is muted. I can still hear the sound when I'm near the TV, but no longer at such a distance.

• RAF
    RAF

Uhg !!!

I can't hear both of the rings (the 2 URL)
    I'm about 40 so I guess I shouldn't care about it ...
    Now that makes me feel like getting old for real

• free2beme
    free2beme

It is sad to be reminded that we are slowly falling apart.

• inlove2
    inlove2

I heard something! A Low Humming. The volume was way up. I'm 53, don't know what it means

That my 2 cents worth

Inlove2

• RAF
    RAF

F2B : It is sad to be reminded that we are slowly falling apart.

... ... Yeah ... since I don't have the choice and that it have to be for everyone ... I guess I'm still ok with this idea by now

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay, here is the original tone with ambient noise. Can you hear it? I sure do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/audio/mosquito_sound.mp3

And here are tones at other frequencies:

10,000 Hz
    11,000 Hz
    12,000 Hz
    13,000 Hz
    14,000 Hz
    15,000 Hz
    16,000 Hz
    17,000 Hz
    18,000 Hz
    19,000 Hz
    20,000 Hz
    21,000 Hz
    22,000 Hz
    23,000 Hz
    24,000 Hz
    25,000 Hz

How far up can you hear? Remember that audibility depends on decibels as well, so be sure to have your volume on the low end.

• RAF
    RAF

Leo

as for me 14,000 HZ seems to be the highest I can hear !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit