Did the Family Book Have the Right Principles?

by The wanderer 5 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Did the Family Book Have the Right Principles?

The “old” family book centered on virtues and principles to help make your family life happy.
    It talked about respecting each other, cooperating with each other and ultimately bonding
    with each other.

Separating the Watchtower’s Ideology

If you separated the Watchtower’s philosophy and ideology, the family book would work in many
    individuals’ lives. It had many practical applications to help strength the family unit.

Can you be objective in your viewpoint and assessment about this book?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Cellist
    Cellist

It's been a long time since I've read that book. But what I can remember of it is that the only good information was what I had always been taught as "common sense". My "worldly" parents taught me all those principles.

Cellist

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I don't remember. I don't even have a copy in my house. I'm amazed my parents didn't give us a copy when we started having kids. Just as well, I think I can find a better source of advice here and outside of the bOrg.

Josie

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

They used the family book to make themselves look good. I think some of the princibles were good, but felt it steriotyped roles inside the marriage, the way the bible does,ie the man is the head,, women is in subjection, etc...

I'm sure there are many families that are far better than those that follow some ancient book. There is after all more than one way to skin a cat. I'm sure there are kids that turn out to be just fine and love thier parenets even if they talk back, or freely express themselves, or wives that won't take any shit from thier husbands and will argue with them in public and disreguard thier headship when they think he's being a jerk, that other wise have a very good marriage. etc...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've been gone to long to remember the details of the family book. My number 1 beef with the jws is armeggeddon did not come in 1975 and from there the whole house of cards fell down for me.

• Pittsburgher
    Pittsburgher

Can't honestly remember reading that one... but I'm guessing like most older publications, it was filled with "Leave it to Beaver" type real world situations that were a product of it's time.

Off topic: The old Youth book though is my favorite. I still have it because it's funny...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit