E-Watchman says subliminal images in the Watchtower are real

by truthseeker 13 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Interesting read for skeptics and believers alike...

My personal fave is the picture in the Knowledge Book on page 132 (I think) showing Jehovah in the clouds. If you fold the picture three ways, you see a skull in the clouds on top of a pyramid.

DOES WATCHTOWER LITERATURE
    CONTAIN SUBLIMINAL IMAGES?

Allegations that Watchtower literature contains grotesque satanic subliminal images and occult symbols have resurfaced on the Internet. According to the evidence presented on a number of websites it would appear that subliminal art work has become much more sophisticated than the somewhat amateurish image that appeared in the pages of the Watchtower in 1983.

Unfortunately, some of the people hosting websites that present the evidence appear somewhat hysterical and imbalanced in their approach to the matter. And rather than simply making a presentation of the facts they try to persuade Jehovah’s Witnesses to flee out of the organization. However, it is best to follow the apostolic advice and keep a sound mind and not be quickly shaken from our reason.

Feature Graphics

A subliminal image is a picture within a picture – a graphic cleverly imbedded within another image that is intended to bypass the conscious mind undetected but is perceived on a subconscious level. How a person might be affected subconsciously is a matter of debate.

My earliest awareness of subliminal imagery in Watchtower literature was back in 1983. Some of Jehovah’s Witnesses who have been around for a few years might remember the February 1st issue of the Watchtower magazine that year that had an artist’s rather crude sketch of a couple of Jehovah’s Witnesses preaching on a city street with a clean-shaven, ephemeral angel hovering above them, presumably directing their ministry. But subtly camouflaged in the lower left side of the dress of the lady in the background – who appears to have a dog on a leash – was a bearded, Zeus-like face of a man.

It wasn’t even particularly well hidden, as a 12 year old sister, the daughter of the presiding overseer of our congregation at the time, innocently pointed it out to a number of us after the Watchtower Study. It was one of those things, though, that after it was pointed out you say to yourself: ‘Why didn’t I see that?’ It seemed rather obvious. (Click here for an enlargement of the illustration as well as other examples of Watchtower pictures that may contain subliminals hosted on a French language website)

The image caused quite a little stir in our congregation; so much so that one of the elders felt compelled to mention it from the platform. Ironically, the presiding overseer whose daughter had spotted the bearded face gave a Service Meeting part a few days after the Watchtower Study and rebuked the congregation for even thinking that the Society’s literature could contain subliminal images. It was a bizarre Orwellian experience, to be sure, to be told that what you see with your own eyes is not really there. I must say, that the local elders’ perverse denial of reality was more disturbing then the actual subliminal image itself, which at the time I passed off as the childish prank of a mischievous Bethel artist.

But the local elders were not alone in denial. About a year later the Watchtower also backhandedly acknowledged the subliminal image flap by claiming it was a ridiculous and unfounded rumor – strangely, likening it to the “Paul is dead” publicity stunt during the Beatles’ heyday. Here’s a little blurb from the September 1st, 1984, Watchtower: “Some years ago it was widely believed that a member of the singing group the Beatles had died in an auto accident and had been replaced by a double. Even the Watchtower Society’s publications have been the subject of rumors—for example, that one of the artists had secretly been introducing pictures of demons into the illustrations, was subsequently found out and disfellowshiped!...Certainly, the rumor concerning the Society’s publications was harmful, as well as slanderous to the zealous Christians who work long hours producing artwork to make the magazines, brochures and books so attractive. This was as ridiculous as it would be to say that God, in creating celestial bodies, deliberately formed the appearance of a ‘man in the moon.’”

But seeing is believing, as the saying goes. It was not a rumor. It was not the product of imagination on the part of thousands of readers who surely must have noticed the image. It was a camouflaged face of a man – as can be seen in the graphic on this page. Of course, the skilled subliminal artist endeavors to camouflage the image in such a way so as to trick the eye into not seeing what is before it so that those who do not wish to see it can easily excuse themselves from seeing the subliminal.

At any rate, that was more than 20 years ago; however, since then allegations that Watchtower literature contains grotesque satanic subliminal images and occult symbols have resurfaced on the Internet. According to the evidence presented on a number of websites it would appear that subliminal art work has become much more sophisticated than the somewhat amateurish image that appeared in the pages of the Watchtower in 1983.

Up until now I have been somewhat hesitant to introduce the readership of e-watchman to the issues of Watchtower subliminals. But after having looked at the evidence presented, in my opinion there is some substance to it. But each reader can make up their own mind.

Unfortunately, some of the people hosting websites that present the evidence appear somewhat hysterical and imbalanced in their approach to the matter. And rather than simply making a presentation of the facts they try to persuade Jehovah’s Witnesses to flee out of the organization. However, it is best to follow the apostolic advice and keep a sound mind and not be quickly shaken from our reason.

Here is a link to a very poorly designed website with some interesting illustrations. Evidently there is a CD in circulation with an extensive presentation of Watchtower subliminals. This site merely presents one example. Discounting the site owner’s personal conclusions, the presentation of a detailed breakdown of an image in the “Knowledge” book is nonetheless interesting – if not disturbing. The technique used for examining one of the book’s illustrations is called mirroring. It simply involves holding the painting up to a mirror and bringing the edges of the two opposed images together to form a new picture. The detail revealed seems beyond coincidence.

Here is a link to a better designed website whose designer humorously calls himself the “Watchman of the Art.” The site displays a number of subliminal and non-subliminal pictures highlighting the frequency with which the Watchtower uses horned goats and rams, which are symbols of the Devil. (Even the Scriptures make reference to “goat-shaped demons.”)

Finally, here is a link to the now-defunct Watchtower Observer site that is archived on the reexamine.org site with a few other instances of possible Watchtower subliminals. (Unfortunately some of the graphics are not reproduced very well.)

Some might be inclined to dismiss the examples presented. However, my personal conclusion is that they are real and that the Watchtower Society has probably been infiltrated by a secret coven of Devil worshippers; evidenced not only by the subliminal imagery, but also by such things as the Society’s irrational attachment to 1914; their hypocritical NGO affair and their lying denial of it, as well as their callous refusal to accept any responsibility to protect the children in the congregation from sexual predators. (See commentary: Do Elders Have a Fiduciary Duty?)

In reality, from the very beginning of the Watchtower Society there has always been the presence of occult symbols, like Charles Russell’s fascination with pyramidology; the use of the Masonic and Templar’s symbol of the cross and the crown; the occultic winged sun that appeared on several books; the promotion by the Society of the occultic book Angels and Women, which was advertised as having been dictated by a “fallen angel.”

However, whereas anti-Watchtower groups and ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses alike have tried to use such things as proof that the Watchtower is not Jehovah’s organization, the presence of such evils is consistent with the fact that the demons have always sought to insinuate themselves into the midst of the leadership of God’s people. And why shouldn’t they? They are demons, after all! Let’s not be naïve as to their powers and intentions.

Besides, the appearance of disguised demonic images in the Society’s literature is probably not intended to mentally influence Jehovah’s Witnesses any way. It would appear that the presence of such images is akin to the animal practice of urinating to mark off a territory. More than likely it is Satan’s way of coyly flaunting his presence within the intimate circle of the anointed congregation by attaching himself to something dedicated to Jehovah in order to desecrate it – similar to the how the insidious influence of Baal in the Israelite nation manifested itself through the display of various crude and lewd images.

The presence of such evils within the organization is simply another manifestation of “the mystery of this lawlessness” at work in the house of God, which Paul foretold would emanate from a man of lawlessness “according to the operation of Satan.”

Contrary to the conclusions some would have us reach, the presence of Satan within the congregation does not discount the fact that it is Jehovah’s organization. The Scriptures plainly indicate that Satan will be present within Jehovah’s organization up until the actual judgment is executed against him. That is evident from the very prophecy from which Jehovah’s Witnesses have derived their distinctive name – Isaiah 43:12. That verse reads: “I myself have told forth and have saved and have caused it to be heard, when there was among you no strange god. So you are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “and I am God.”

It is apparent in so many ways, including the prevalence of hidden occult images in the Society’s literature, that there is indeed a “strange god” among us. What’s the solution? The next verse of Isaiah’s prophecy foretells how Jehovah will deal with the situation, posing the question: “I shall get active, and who can turn it back?”

Published January 22, 2007

http://www.e-watchman.com/commentaries/watchtower-subliminal-images.html

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I've personally seen many images in the WT publications. Many years ago when my kids were young, they actually pointed some out to me. They could not read yet and would just look at all the pictures in the books for long periods of time. (to prevent boredom) and they saw some images.

At first I thought it was just a fluke, but then realized there are some that are obviously deliberate. BTW, I cannot see the pics you posted, only an x.

I do know they are real but whether they are placed in literature with the knowldge of the GB, or just put there by bored members of the art depatment, I don't know. Some also believe that the Bethelites are trying to send the rank and file messages warning about the evil of the WT. Not sure what I believe but I do believe my own eyes. I do like the ones though that are obvious and you don't have to fold paper or look at them in certain light, etc. Lilly

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Derrick Barefoot has a book out on this subject with pictures. I think it is called The Tower of Darkness. Not sure as I gave all my books away to another Brother who had some doubts.

Blueblades

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

However, whereas anti-Watchtower groups and ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses alike have tried to use such things as proof that the Watchtower is not Jehovah’s organization, the presence of such evils is consistent with the fact that the demons have always sought to insinuate themselves into the midst of the leadership of God’s people. And why shouldn’t they? They are demons, after all! Let’s not be naïve as to their powers and intentions.

Besides, the appearance of disguised demonic images in the Society’s literature is probably not intended to mentally influence Jehovah’s Witnesses any way. It would appear that the presence of such images is akin to the animal practice of urinating to mark off a territory. More than likely it is Satan’s way of coyly flaunting his presence within the intimate circle of the anointed congregation by attaching himself to something dedicated to Jehovah in order to desecrate it – similar to the how the insidious influence of Baal in the Israelite nation manifested itself through the display of various crude and lewd images.

What a load of rubbish! I've seen subliminal images in wts literature before, some of them are that obvious they are harder to miss than actually see. I always wondered if it was someone in the writing dept playing a joke rather than anything to do with demons.

Seeing this came from e-watchman, is it Robert King having a joke?

• greendawn
    greendawn

They may well be there if we recall that for 60 years the WTS dabbled in the occult quite openly, first Russell then Rutherford who was contacting angels (he was a spiritualistic medium just like Grebber) and had ouija boards in Bethel. Perhaps they are secretly doing the same up to this day though they publically do not admit this. Russell was steeped in occultism/demonism and was very likely a concealed free mason. This org has been associating with the demons from its very beginning.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Is it me or is e-watchman bashing others who talk about the subliminal images but yet feels it o.k. for him to do it? Also some of his suggestions about Satan marking his territory are a little wacked out themselves. Although the images are there, you have to take what e-watchman says with a "grain of salt" becuase the guy still feels the organization is God's organization on earth but believes it has NOW gone into apostasy like the Jews of the OT.

e-watchman, just to clear something up. Like greendawn has already brought out - the organization known as the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society was apostate from its very origin! From Russell until the president of today. Hate to burst your bubble there my friend, you have to get out of her right away so that you don't share in her sins. Lilly

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

With all respect, I once folded a paper bag in 5 directions and could have sworn I saw Col. Sanders......

If it was there, it would have been found out by now. I know the Art Dept, and they aren't that talented for one thing. For another thing, it costs real money to do it correctly, and I hate to say it, but the GB just want scary pics of Armageddon and colorful pics of Paradise. Thats it.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I'm w Jeff on this. There are plenty of legitimate concerns about the WT Society without watering down the argument with such fantasies.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Please allow me to express why this issue totally makes JW and the GB look sane and those who believe this looking like ...... (fill in the blank)

First of all, lets get one thing very straight; EVERY GROUP, ORGANIZATION, POLITICAL GROUP, ETC, puts out literature that is DESIGNED to persuade you to their point of view. As an example, why do we need half naked celebrity men and women who have perfect bodies trying to get us to drink Coke? Isn't that a matter of taste? Noooo, it is about image and your view of yourself. We all want to belong, and advertising is long acknowledged to influence what you want to belong to. Any group that wants your support is going to put their best foot forward, hide the dirt or spin the dirt, and of course, try to charecterize the competition as bad, evil, incompetent, stupid, mislead, nice but wrong, etc......

The fact is that what the WTBTS does is THE LAST THING FROM SUBLIMINAL! They are no different then any group with an agenda. So of course their art is going to advance their theology. They don't hide it at all! Remeber the first video they released? Where they look at the covers of the Awake Mag with the boy holding the apple? Why did they pick him? BECAUSE THEY JUDGED THAT COVER TO BE ABLE TO DO THE MOST GOOD IN ADVANCING THEIR MESSAGE! Hell, they put it in their first video! Nothing subliminal their....

I have heard many exJW talk about the scary images of Armageddon in the literature as causing panic and nightmares. Again, nothing subliminal. It scares, it influences, it works.

The idea that subliminal images exist when you fold different art images to make a completely different image smacks of the old fasioned ink blot test. What do you see? It is totally different from person to person, esp if you are looking for it because you "know" it is there. I think a few paranoid people see demons. I can make demonic images from a strawberry shortcake picture if you give me a scanner and 12 hours of uninterrupted time. I am sorry, but if you have to fold and mangle a picture in 3 different ways to get an image, you don't have subliminal art, you have a wadded up, wrinkled picture.

Subliminal imaging obviously exists in certain quarters, but it is very expensive and elaborate, and it is easy to find once the organization using it has been found out. However, it takes more talent then what bethel has to pull it off. There are many talented artists that go to bethel, and here is what happens. The GB sends an approved concept to the elders in charge of the Art Dept. These men then hold various meetings with the artists, and they submit their sketches based on the concepts the GB has already approved. The artists FREQUENTLY get overruled about what they want by the old men in charge. Once the art is finally approved by the Art Dept committee, it goes to the GB committee for final approval. (I believe it is the writing dept)

Did I mention that the Art Dept drones are not different then any other bethelite? At 4:50, they leave so they can hang out in their 300 sq ft of alloted space and watch satellite TV. They don't sit up late at night designing subliminal images. With all the "apostates" that have left, you would think one credible artist would come forward. But that is because it doesn't exist. I would also be remiss to say that while I was at Gilead, I met several in the Art Dept. They are volunteer painters, nothing more. The "heavies" who run it are elders who also get busy with bethel business or in their local congregations, likely DF'ing people for assinine reasons while hiding pedophiles... (slightly tounge in cheek there, but you get my drift)

In short, the GB doesn't need subliminal art, and they aren't even trying to hide the fact that their art is trying to influence people. This idea of subliminal demonic art is pure fiction, Imo, those who say it exists obviously know that JW are controlling and aren't the true religion, and are trying in their own way to discredit them, without realizing how shallow their own arguement is.....

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

Totally with Jeff on this one... I know the wt doesn't like its members being sceptical, so please at leasttry to be it when you're out!

Subliminal images = nonsense

Demon-smurfs = nonsense

Armageddon = nonsense

Critical thinking = good :)

Regards,

Deus Mauzzim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit