Do JW's flout Romans 14:1?

by yaddayadda 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Romans 14:1

NWT – “Welcome the [man] having weaknesses in [his] faith, but not to make decisions on inward questionings.”

NIV – “Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters.”

NASB – “Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.”

NLT – “Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and don’t argue with them about what they think is right or wrong.”

NKJV – “Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things.”

If a JW told a few people in his congregation that he had developed some doubts about certain teachings of the Society, and that it was his opinion that some of the teachings might in fact be wrong, what would the reaction be?

If they mentioned what their specific 'opinions' and 'doubts' are - for example, if they said, "I think it is doubtful that that Kingdom was established in 1914" - what would the reaction be?

Even if that JW refrained from arguing and disputing over the matter, ie, simply expressed their specific doubts and opinions and left it at that (out of consideraton for the conscience of the other person as Romans 14 counsels), do you think they would avoid being perceived as an 'apostate' and facing a judicial committee or suffer 'marking' by the congregation?

• ErEf
    ErEf

I will know tomorrow when I have my talk just about that with to elders.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Hey good luck with that ErEf. Be sure to emphasise Romans 14:1 (take a copy of the different bible versions with you perhaps?) to show them you are scripturally within your rights to hold to different opinions about 'doubtful'(and downright false) beliefs taught by the Society. Put the onus on them to prove from the bible that you must conform to every whim of teaching from men.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

It is my understanding, based on being part of this group, that the WT leadership draws a clear distinction between "[his] faith" and "THE faith" as publicly determined by them.

As far as THE faith is concerned, there is no negotiation, or debate. Once something is published in the WT, it becomes THE faith, which is encumbent on all the R&F to accept, unconditionally. As Knorr was once heard to say, "You can argue all you want, but once it comes off the presses it is TRUTH"

Naturally the WT teaching of 1914 falls into this category. If you don't accept it completely, until any change is allowed for by the leadership, you are NOT welcome in the assocation of believers.

"[His] faith" would constitute such procedural matters as, clothing, leisure activities, or matters even more banal. After suitable "adjustments" the person would, approvingly, no longer be regarded as "weak"

Cheers

• Mary
    Mary
    If they mentioned what their specific 'opinions' and 'doubts' are - for example, if they said, "I think it is doubtful that that Kingdom was established in 1914" - what would the reaction be? Even if that JW refrained from arguing and disputing over the matter, ie, simply expressed their specific doubts and opinions and left it at that (out of consideraton for the conscience of the other person as Romans 14 counsels), do you think they would avoid being perceived as an 'apostate' and facing a judicial committee or suffer 'marking' by the congregation?

Just ask Mouthy. She was disfellowshipped within 2 weeks of her casually mentioning to an elder that she didn't believe Jesus returned invisibly in 1914.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ironically, the only JWs who are allowed to privately express such doubts (to some extent) are... the members of the Governing Body (e.g. Knorr, on 1914, according to Crisis of Conscience).

• TheListener
    TheListener

Also,

Philippians 3:15 "All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained. " (NIV)

• TopHat
    TopHat

Romans 14:1, In my opinion was addressing the believers of their day, for their own reasons and NOT members of the Watchtower org., like many instructions given to believers in the letters by Paul. I wonder what Paul would have to say to the GB today if anything!

• Scully
    Scully

What I love about Romans 14 is how it explains that a person whose faith is "weak" is the one that will be nit-picking about what they and other people do or don't do, while the person with a more mature faith will have a much more relaxed attitude and will not be constantly looking to pounce on everyone's mistakes.

It is interesting to bring that up with a JW who likes to be critical and self-righteous... ask them what that scripture tells about their own level of faith if they are so busy focusing on judging their Brothers™ and Sisters™.

• JH
    JH

Good reasoning Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit