Are all those "minor prophet" books relevant today?

by becca1 11 Replies latest jw friends

• becca1
    becca1

According to the WT, just about everything in the Hebrew Scrips. has a "type" and an "architype". It all applies somehow to the "last days". Do you think this is so, or were they just talking about the issue, kingdom, person at hand? I always found the books and WT studies that dealt with these (ex. Amos, Micah, Habakuk...) tiresome, and the explanations farfetched. The same goes for the book of Isaiah (I had to struggle to stay awake when we studied it in the BS).

So, are they relevant today?

• Balsam
    Balsam

Those books were written by Israelite prophets and they were for the day they lived in. It is not relevant to our day now. Many evangelical Christian religions want to point to these books saying they apply to our day but they just don't. Rabbi's have made comments on these books and they were not for Christians to twist.

Ruth

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

"All scripture (writing) is inspired of God and beneficial..."

There are beautiful and thought-provoking bits in every part of the Bible. You might enjoy them as soon as you get rid of the "prophetic" and "typological" nonsense.

• Rooster
    Rooster
    Those books were written by Israelite prophets and they were for the day they lived in. It is not relevant to our day now. Many evangelical Christian religions want to point to these books saying they apply to our day but they just don't. Rabbi's have made comments on these books and they were not for Christians to twist.
    Ruth
    I concur with Ruth!!!!
  • blondie
    blondie

Isn't the most recent WT publication based on the "minor" prophets.

The yearstext for the WTS in 2007 is based on Zephaniah...so they consider it valid...in fact they spend more time in the OT than in the NT supporting their doctrines.

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

I believe that none of these books are of any value or use to us today whatsoever

• onacruse
    onacruse

And so what constitutes a "minor prophet?"

If it is the 'current-affairs-irrelevant content,' then Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel could easily be classified as 'minor.' However, by the shear bulk of their extant writings, they characteristically have been classified as major prophets.

Many of the Apochryphal books contain equally, and more interesting, "reads" on the times in which they were written. Many of them offer insights into the origin and motivation of other non-prophetic books of the Bible.

And then there's Nostradamus.

• becca1
    becca1

"Minor" refers to the lenghth of the book, not it's importance.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Yes, IMHO, they are very relative, to the last days, which I think we are in. And i do believe in the typical and anti typical fulfillments..

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

why stop with the minor prophet books?

we should look at the big profits as well.

tetra

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit