I find this very hard to believe. What do you think?

by whyizit 20 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

My friend is an up and coming JW recruit. Not baptized, but high-stepping in that direction.

Any way... She lives a small rural town and she has to go to a neighboring town to a KH. She recently asked her JW guru if there would be a KH built in their own town any time soon. This lady told her that they had wanted to build one, even had a place designated, etc..., but the local churches all came together and opposed it, and forbid it to happen. The local churches made a very big stink about it. Rather than have a public debate, or pursue a lawsuit, the WTS decided to be peaceful and just keep meeting in the neighboring town. Afterall, they are all about keeping the peace and they do not sue.

Does this sound right to you? I told her that I want specifics about this incident! When, where, what churches were involved. I know that town. They have all kinds of churches. They even have a Scientology church! It's not real big, but it is there. They probably have more denominations, than they do businesses.

I have asked around, and no one has heard of or remembers anything about this "big stink". I also find it odd that the WTS would not sue, if this whole thing were true. I think there is not enough interest in that town for a KH, and that they out and out lied to her. The "poor persecuted us" routine. It is ludicrous to think that they would not sue. They certainly have lawsuits going on in other areas! And this would be a big winner, hands down.

What do you think?

• Terry
    Terry

The JW rumor mill works overtime creating local and international myths that exploit the wonderfulness (sic) of the Watchtower Society and its members. JWs are martyrs, victims and noble beasts beset at all times by overpowering forces of evil. JW's staunchly oppose unfairness and exercise majestic courage and fortitude in dealing with the supernatural attacks of Satan and his minions.

Gosh, they should proud.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

While it could be true I have a hunch that there just wasn't enough money to build one. It's easier to place the blame on the local churches and call it persecution. "Forbiding" (yeah right) the construction of a hall sounds better in the ears of the brothers and sisters.

And they say they don't tickle the ears.

• Xena
    Xena

There are some intolerant churches out there but most of the ones I have been to could care less what other churchs are build around them. I really can't imagine all the local churches massing against the dubs. More likely they want to build in a neighborhood and the association doesn't want a church there.

JW's love "persecution" it validates them.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I agree with you, whyizit, sounds totally like a JW myth.

The churches got together to prevent them from moving in? How? Where are the newspaper articles about the zoning board preventing a church from being built?
    That would be the only way they could be prevented, through the permitting process, if, as she says, they already had the property.

I agree that this sounds like total bullshit. AND, if even close to true, this is EXACTLY the kind of lawsuit the WTS would love, where they are the put-upon good guy and Christendom is the evil persecutor.

No, if they didn't build it was for a much more mundane reason - money, land use permits, zoning, etc.

S4

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch

Sounds like there may have been some zoning restrictions and the facts got a little mixed up in the rumor mill.

Cal

• Terry
    Terry

JW's love "persecution" it validates them.

Amen, Xena.

J.F.Rutherford realized that and designed his new religion (formerly the International Bible Students) into victims of persecution called Jehovah's Witnesses. He chose a provocative name that ignored Jesus and a lifestyle that thumbed its collective nose at churches, patriotism, democracy (voting), higher-education, mainstream medicine and concocted artificial battlegrounds to produce martyrs for publicity sake.

• BrentR
    BrentR

It may also be becuase there are not enough JW's in that town to justify building a new hall. They would never want to admit to that being the reason.

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

While this could very well be true, it just seems to me like an attempt to reinforce the whole "since we are JW's the world hates us and we are ohhh soooo persecuted" crap. Granted witnesses have had to deal with some persecution but people all over the world from many backgrounds experience atrocious horrors and I doubt the feel anymore righteoous becuase of it.

It just seems that Jw's have a real tendency to over exaggerated, especially when it comes to their so-called persecution. Anytime they can blame something on "false religion" and/or "Satan" they will!

We all may have a tendency to blame others for our problems. However it seems to magnified with religious fanatics. After all the book they look to has the whole "Blame Game" laid right out for them. I mean Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent, and the poor serpent had no one to blame!

IW

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

That might be the 'seed' to show your friend that they are liars and no such thing really happened or can be proved. Just a good old persecution complex myth.

Outaservice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit