cortizone shot,anyone???

by aquagirl 26 Replies latest jw friends

• skyking
    skyking

From the personal experience they are real painful but they help. I have to be in awful pain before I get one.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I had one in my elbow that pretty much fixed the tennis elbow. Never had to have another one for that.

I did have a shot in my foot a few months after bunion surgery. The shot was not bad but the doc said the cortisone would hurt for a couple days afterwards. I don't know why the shot at the base of my toe would hurt after the shot but he was right. It hurt like the devil but once that pain was gone no more problems.

I have also had to take cortizone treatments (pills) several times for poison ivy. As I understand it, your body never gets rid of the cortizone. It just keeps building up and can hurt some of your organs (kidney?? - can't remember for sure). I am probably close to my lifetime limit.

My cat had to have cortizone shots several times and the vet told me the same thing about him. He said the cortizone builds up and will eventually shut down something (kidneys??).

• leokio
    leokio

Yes, I have,in both feet for exactly the same problem you have. It hurts a bit but much less than I imagined it would. Best part was, it ended my pain within about 20 min. and that was 3 years ago.

My doc also suggested a brand of insole that I bought and have used for that same 3 years. I have been pain free and have not needed additional shots since I started using them. My Doc insisted on a brand called Sofsole. DO NOT waste your time or money on the "soft" ones. ONLY the hard plastic ones because as my Doc informed me, it's a matter of of stability and you can't get that with ANY brand of "soft" insole.

Another thing that I considered is that had I known about and tried Sofsole first, I may not have needed the shots at all. You might want to give it a try for a few days.....if the pain goes away, forget the shots!

Price on those will probably be 40-45 which is a lot better than the 3-400 for the custom made set.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Leo

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

wow..thanks,ya'll..i couldnt find a single person in my huge circle of friends here in midcoast maine that had had one.only ugly rumors of them...now i have some info.you all are too cool!!!thanks!!!!

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

JWDaughter said: "Incidentally, if you have had kids-this cortisone shot is NOTHING!"

Oh here we go, pulling out the birth card. I've seen a couple and sure it looks like it stings a little.....

• choosing life
    choosing life

Have had them in the spine and in the feet. The spine wasn't too bad because they used lidocaine to numb it first. The ones in the arches of my feet hurt like crazy, but they sure stopped the pain and along with arch supports have kept it away. So they were worth the pain.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

In conjunction to the shots, you may consider physical therapy and/or wearing a night splint.

The night splint will help you maintain a continuous, gentle stretch of the plantar fascia. I will guess that the pain is worse with the first few steps in the morning and after you've been sitting for a while..???

Here's a quote from a google search:

Night splints, which are removable braces, allow passive stretching of the calf and plantar fascia during sleep, and minimize stress on the inflamed area. According to several studies, approximately 80% of patients improved after wearing a night splint. It may be especially useful in patients who have had symptoms for more than a year. (http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/987116429.html)

Of course, though, if you *do* decide to try a nightsplint, please let me know and consider one of mine:

https://secure.roycemedical.com/royce_medical.html

(If you get routed to 'Ossur' click on the button to 'continue to Royce Medical')

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit