Will Lack of Leadership Sink the JW Ship?

by Seeker4 55 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Any thinking Witness is already going to have had serious questions about WTS teachings long before they start looking at some apostate site. I sure know I did. What happens then is that you realize others have had the same questions,

...and once you know you are not alone, the light comes on. That's precisely why this forum is so important to a successful exit and recovery. I am not sure if I still believe in divine intervention, since I misapplied the concept so many times when I was a dub, but if there is such a thing, this forum is an example of how God provides.

Zack: When I came to this forum seeking answers, I was an elder for more than 20 years, conducting the WT study. That was three and a half years ago. Today: Not an elder, not a dub, zero attendance at any KH or "theocratic function" for three years, and extremely happy.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    I hope every male JW becomes an elder. It is the fastest way to get a JW to see that the Org. does not follow the teachings of Christ. And for those who reach out (to be elders) for love of God and brothers, it is the way out for them. The WTS doesn't want men w/ a Bible trained conscience because a bible trained conscience will condemn them.

Amen, Zack. Had I never been an elder, I wouldn't have believed have of the stories I've read here. Unfortunately, the horror stories have the "ring of truth" as they say. The fact that this is just a book publishing business is apparent to anyone who has been an elder for more than a couple of months. I agree they won't allow sisters behind the curtains until they absolutely have to.

Edited to add: Blondie, I completely agree with your assessment that sisters will be handling many duties before the WTS closes shop. But, the big difference between using sisters in the past and the future (other than probably things being done with a bit more organization) is the reasons behind using them. In the past, they were used because there were no baptized men in the area yet growth was taking place. Now/future the will be used because males in leadership positions have vacated. Although I admire the WTS for its ability to spin bad news, I think its going to be a tough sale to the rank & file.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Former congregation:
    1 spineless elder who would not give an opinion without checking with the CO
    1 complete control freak
    1 habitual liar
    1 chronic gossip and compulsive liar; partnered with elder above
    1 genuine good man, caught in the middle of the above

Current:
    1 habitual liar, he followed me to the new hall!
    1 uncaring by the book elder
    1 new elder; earnest, a very nice guy who is slowly becoming a company man. His son announced he is gay, left the hall and was NEVER disciplined. Meanwhile, any and all young ones who came forward with conduct were df'd.
    1 elder in poor health, also a company man
    1 young, great guy; he is an elder because he just thinks he should and his wife pushed him. I worry for him.

I don't go to the hall at all anymore, don't talk to them unless I have to.
    I have never enjoyed elders so much.

• steve2
    steve2

This is such a good question and it's evident that, especially in Western countries, there is a significant decline in both actual numbers of active witnesses and reduced enthusiasm/zeal among those who remain active.

The broad choice facing the WTS is this: Cater to the increasing number of apathetic JWs by making the environment more inclusive or clamp down hard on the apathy and risk alienating even more young JWs.

We do have the luxury of standing back and just observing what will happen. However, I think one thing will be certain: There will not be a quick demise, but a somewhat drawnout death splutter spread possibly over the next two to three decades. Look what's happened to lots of other smaller religions who are past their growth heyday, including Mormons, 7th Day Adventists, Christadelphians, etc.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I said on another thread that younger JW men are actually
    more balanced than in the past. They are not as die-hard
    as the older ones, they have a life outside the KH, they aren't
    obeying every last thing they read in print. The brainwashing
    gets to them, but only so far. I am happy for them, except that
    they still believe WTS is God's representative.

On sisters doing the job. They should be great at it. I want to
    know, what will happen if I as a successful fader, years from now,
    visit the Hall, will the sister on the platform have to invite me up
    there to conduct the meeting? Or will they re-write the manuals
    to allow strong sisters to be in charge when there are only
    weak brothers?

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

OTWO... Interesting scenario... actually, I believe that eliminating the Daily Text from the Field Circus ritual is one of those small things the WT is doing to allow "strong" sisters to take the lead in the congo... it's a matter of time before the WT finally accepts that the Bible does allow some leeway when it comes to women in positions of authority...

On second thought, I believe they eliminated the Daily Text to avoid having to pay for "permits" to conduct religious services in private homes... never mind...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit