Did the Watchtower Society Cause Mental or Emotional Damage?

by The wanderer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Rich:

They tried to but I nipped it in the bud. Having come from a not-so-happy household, I struggled for some years to raise my self-esteem. I had no intention of allowing anybody to take it away! When I came into the religion it didn't take too long to realize they had a problem with people having self-esteem or self-respect, particularly women. They had and do still have real issues about this. Too bad! They were always trying to instill guilt either to get you to do more in the service or to do favors for people, etc. I saw through this and I also saw who the "users" in the congregations were. I also saw who the victims were: usually the same few women over and over again. I was determined this would not be me although this didn't make me very popular. Even though I wanted friends I was not willing to turn myself into a sucker or a doormat in order to have them.

So, having determined early on their issues with trying to make people feel guilt OR their trying to strip you of your self-respect or self-esteem (thereby making you more susceptible to exploitation or abuse), I withdrew and stayed on the fringes. I became selective with who I would talk to or associate with.

I would have to say I have a lingering anger and outrage over this but it is fading with time into indifference.

LHG

• Terry
    Terry

I consider "emotions" as involuntary physical reactions to our core values, beliefs, opinions and worldview. In other words, the way we think about things determines how we "feel" about them.

The Watchtower teachings detach people from reality. Reality is, after all, the only source of true information. Consequently, a make-believe world is what replaces reality. The New World Society is a cartoon world.

Once we detach from the real world our values are changed and our emotions follow. Instead of feeling empathy for the suffering of others as we did when we lived among real people; JW's learn to think of human suffering as well-deserved by the ungodly who will die at Armageddon.

Instead of feeling a sense of charity and desiring to come to the aid of our fellow man when natural disasters occur; JW's channel their energy into thinking only of other JW's as humans deserving a helping hand. The rest are mocked, ignored and marginalized as part of Satan's victims because they are outside the Organization.

Instead of strong feelings of love, caring and companionship toward our brothers and sisters who have encountered personal problems, JW's turn cold and label the family member as "spiritually sick" who must be "marked" and watched closely for signs of apostacy.

You see, the natural feelings of love and empathy stem from reality only.

The Organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is careful to seal off the believer's mind from all contact with the real world in every way possible. All sorts of people and activities are labeled demonic. Fear takes the place of warmth and curiousity. The mind is shut off from nourishment. Only propaganda is fit to read. No opinion or individual thought creeps into conversation. No contrary viewpoint is permitted. The individual is anathema. The group is the be-all and end-all of existence.

Once the personality of a human is so damaged by this kind of unreal programming they can neither think straight nor feel an emotion which is humane or self-benefitting.

Every activity of mind or body is subjected to scrutiny, analysis and becomes artificially detached.

JW's end up as artificial personas longing for a real life who are forced to eventually live a double life of deceit. Many become quite adept at having a secret life and secret activities which allows oxygen into the hermetically sealed world they inhabit. When caught--they can't jump out of the frying pan of the Kingdom Hall because they fear the fire of a world painted as full of devils, corruption and ignorance.

Whom shall we go away to Lord?

There is no clear understanding that the mind of a JW is a synthetic construct of mythology, misrepresentation, bogus values and superstitious gobblety-gook.

Mental illness parading as the ultimate sanity is what being a JW is all about.

Is this Mental or Emotional damage?

Certainly it is both. When you don't live in a real world with genuine vision of actual persons and events you are cut off from genuine feeling and a life of meaningful context. You are an empty drone; a husk; an automaton.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Damage!

Absolutely. Any organization that tries to keep their people from being all that they can be, that discourages education and personal growth damages the human spirit.

I didn't have the guts to break away when I was younger like some of you did. I applaud you! So some responsibility is mine...but it is a lot to ask to leave everything you ever knew, family friends, belief. All I can say is I'm out now...damage and all, and happier than ever.

• Terry
    Terry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpLcgdX-vrM

Damage!

Absolutely. Any organization that tries to keep their people from being all that they can be, that discourages education and personal growth damages the human spirit.

This video on Utube says it all.

Crank up the volume to hear. The "reader" is disguising his voice by lowering its pitch.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Intellect is not equivalent to mental health. Just as depth of feeling or power of emotion is not equivalent to emotional health.

I was damaged mentally and emotionally by the religion I was raised in. I am healing. Most of all, I was damaged spiritually, and I am healing from that damage, too.

I don't think the majority of people who are Jehovah's Witnesses intentionally damage one another. They just go through the motions of a kind of macabre ballet of activity they believe will please their God; like people offering human sacrifices to Molech (which I equate to how Jehovah's Witnesses use their children's lives for the glory of their true idol, the corporation behind the name). Or offering virgins to the fires of a volcano. Or carving out human hearts upon an Aztec altar to the glory of the Sun.

Reaching a point of health may require a very strange looking "path", from the perspective of outside observers. Fortunately, I have long since decided to gladly bear being thought of as odd if it means I can be myself.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Golf
    Golf

Without doubt!!!! They have created a society of 'emotional misfits.'

Golf

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I felt emotionally abused while in the WT. But that feeling went away soon after I released their chains from around my neck. Lilly

• jambon1
    jambon1

This is one thing that irks me about my time in the org.

I converted at 17 years old from a very normal, run of the mill, atheist family. No-one has ever experienced depression to any great extent or had mental problems in my family.

However, after ten years of living in the org I ended up having some pretty big issues. I had a secret drink problem, suicidal feelings, low self-esteem and depression.

My estranged relationships with my atheist family caused me a great degree of concern as well as the constant mental torture of losing everyone & everything that you love dearly at the big A.

Afte a year out of the org I am like a new person. Back to being confident and fully enjoying life as I focus on the aim of being a good dad and provider. Thats all that matters to me just now and I am happy that I am doing it well with no feelings of low self worth in the 'nothings ever good enough' existance that is being a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit