I already apologized to the Mormons for laughing at their Mormon Bible.

by MinisterAmos 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I admit it, I made fun of the Mormons along with the rest of the JWs. We always though it was really funny that they were following the instructions in "The Book of the Mormons" which is the 2nd verse of the new testament given to their 16 y/o prophet by God and Jesus Christ. Imagine that any religion could place any co-called "holy book" on the same plane as the bible! We were both outraged and amused.

Now I'm re-reading some of the WT documents and I'm noticing some embarrassing parallels.

For example, in the KM of 8/2002 which explains how we should treat expelled relatives, the article fluidly moves back and forth using quoted from the bible and the WT to prove their point.

Let's review this a moment; the WT believes that quotes from The Watchtower rag (no bible references, just writing committee words) are equally important as words from the bible?

A direct contradiction from the WT explanation that the bible requires we not even say a greeting to expelled ones (2John10) is found in Para #6 of the KM. In it the WT makes up their own rules and now permits families to decide whether expelled ones who live in the same house (meaning parents and minor children, they really are backing the shunning of Mommy, Daddy or the kids) will be permitted to eat with the rest of the family. Again they cite THE WATCHTOWER not the bible in declaring this rule.

I know that we can find a thousand examples of the WT using prior editions of the WT to "prove" something, but were we ever aware that they considered the rules in Watchtower mags to be on the same plane as biblical ones?

If the Watchtower rag is sacrocanct then how could every edition before the 1995 1914 reversal have been wrong?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Even while in I thought the parallel of the WT and Talmud was spot on. And while we are at it the Pharisees and the GB

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I have thought about this I thought the Mormons were nuts too until I realized that I was being just as much of a nut.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I thought the Mormons were nuts to believe their crap, while I believed
    my crap. I still think they are believing crap, but so are those loyal to
    the Chicken Little Cult known as WTS.

YES, I suppose I always accepted what was in writing in WT literature
    as up there with the Bible. What a load.

• Terry
    Terry

I finally found a way of looking at this subject that worked for me.

People who don't trust their own rational mind seek direction elsewhere.

Religion generally (Christianity specifically) often guilt-trips people into seeing themselves as pathetic losers who are worthy of nothing but contempt and death for their inherited sinful condition. These losers are admonished not to trust their evil minds nor the corrupt tendencies of their treacherous heart. Well--that pretty much destroys self-reliance doesn't it?

If you buy into this "I'm no damned good and I need help" philosophy you turn to the word-of-mouth on the street. This nation with its Puritan forebears and church-ridden landscape has the stranglehold on advertising of the proper medicine for human worthlessness: the Bible.

Hundreds of denominations have their own flavor of whats-good-for-you instruction, admonition, policy and ethics.

But, don't forget--YOU HAVE TO DOUBT YOUR OWN POWER OF REASON to fall for any of these quack cures.

The fact that men like Joseph Smith, Muhammed, Paul, L.Ron Hubbard, et al can invent a religion and get millions of willing followers only illustrates how many people consider themselves potential losers who need an expert or a demi-god or a savior to tell them what to do!

Self-reliance begins with a rational mind. Thinking for yourself begins with being able to clearly define what you see and what you think in terms of reality and not myth, rumour or superstition.

Until and unless we take charge of our own mind we can never claim control of our own lives.

• 5erdream
    5erdream

Yep, the parallels between JW's and Mormons are incredible. Equally incredible is the fact I kept wondering how anyone can believe in such incredible stories, yet at the same time I believed in equally incredible stories.

A couple of my internet friends are Mormons, and while I got to know them a little better, I figured I'll find out what they believe in. It was funny to notice they had their apostate sites, too, and just like us Witnesses, were told not to read such stuff.

Even the pictures and writing style on their official website and brochures resemble those of Jehovah's Witnesses!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

The JW's have not, by far, cornered the market in churning out X's left with a bitter taste in their mouths. There are X-Amish; X-Mormon; X-COC; X-COG; X-Moonies; etc. Each site is similar to this one, but I think this one is the best at being what it does best: "X". Guess they should call us the "true" X-Generation!

CG

• Mad
    Mad

• poppers
    poppers

From Mad:

are you forgetting that the Bible has all the credentials identifying it as the Word of God-

That's right!!!!! It's the "word of god" because it says it's the word of god. That's proof enough. Anyone not smart enough to see that should be put to death. Now, can I interest you in some stocks? You don't have to investigate whether they are any good or not - they are good because I say they are good.

• Mad
    Mad

Poppers wrote:"That's right!!!!! It's the "word of god" because it says it's the word of god. That's proof enough. Anyone not smart enough to see that should be put to death. Now, can I interest you in some stocks? You don't have to investigate whether they are any good or not - they are good because I say they are good."

Mad: Just because you bought the dummy stocks doesn't mean WE will...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit