When jw's say...

by carla 21 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

When a jw says they read the whole bible, or they try to in a year do they really mean they read the 'Study in Scriptures' book? or are they actually reading the NWT?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They go through a portion of scripture every week in the theocratic ministry school, usually a few chapters, and a brother gives a talk on the highlights of that portion. It takes several years to get through the whole bible in that way, so if any jw reads the whole bible once a year, they do it as personal bible study, not within a group.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I remember back in the early 50s we read the entire bible in the ministry school, a few chapters at a time. The book of Cronicals where someone begat someone was really interesting.

Ken P.

• rassillon
    rassillon

Wow carla, Studies in the Scriptures......Most witnesses haven't even seen one and even less have touched one and even less have read one.

That spiritual food is so old that it is now spiritual jerky.

The bible, I know some who have read it i a year, it is possible. Doesn't mean they get anything out of it more than what they are told it says.

I tried once but got distracted because of lifes little problems, if you miss a day here and a couple of days there you quickly get so far behind that you will not make your goal.

-r

• carla
    carla

oops!!! wow a huge oops! I meant the daily scripture book (title?) . yeah, I wish he would read the old stuff, might make a dent someday.

• kls
    kls

oops!!! wow a huge oops! I meant the daily scripture book (title?) . yeah, I wish he would read the old stuff, might make a dent someday.

Do you mean the Daily Text? if so all i can say is my jw reads it faithfully everyday ,as a good little dub is supposed to .

Pathically sick

• carla
    carla

Thanks KLS, that's the one. He referred to a book that 'helps' them get through the whole bible. I think they left out the New Test.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The daily text is a joke. They quote a snippet of scripture then talk about whatever they want.

The TMS does also cover the entire bible over several years. Watchtower article "helps", so that the student can provide the "right" answer are also referenced. The (quarterly?) TMS review in the Kingdom Ministry includes a couple bible interpretation questions from these readings.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, yes. I suggest you "borrow" the daily text, take a straight razor, and remove the several pages of references a year to "unbelieving mates". I wonder if he would notice.

• carla

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit