Yay independence....

by kittyeatzjdubs 7 Replies latest jw friends

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

...not.

Ahh the joys of living on your own and actually having to give a shit about how much money you have. Gone are the days when you needed extra money and you could just whip up a nice dinner for lover man, give him a kiss on the cheek, and be all, "Sweeeetie. Can I have some moneeeey?"

Now you're sitting here at your desk at work, pondering over your checkbook and the $10 dollars you have in your purse. Can you afford to go out and spend $5 on lunch today? No, you can't. So you go to the vending machine and get a .25 cent bag of pretzels and a pepsi out of the cooler.

Scrumptious...

Anyone else remember these moments, or anyone still living them?

~luv, jojo

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Yeah, I can remember being very short of money as a pioneer, and afterwards. Wondering how I was going to eat on the few £££ I had left after all my bills were paid.

I wouldn't want to live through them again.

• daystar
    daystar

Ah, memories... my old spool table wasn't nearly this nice:

alt

http://mecoxgardens.1stdibs.com/itemdetails.php?id=71527

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Sounds like you have a job. Just over broke. I would suggest you need a second source of income to supplement your main source of income. I've been married since 19 and was only on my own for about 6 months. I dont recall ever being down to a bag of pretzels in the eating department. Try to make a pantry when you have some money. Beans are cheap. I would recommend a bottle of beanno to go with them. Your situation reminds me of a Biker tee shirt. "No one rides for free, Ass or grass.

Good luck. You got youth on your side.

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

I hear ya loud and clear mama...Back when my son was two I was waiting tables during the lunch shift, making barely enough to take a cab or bus to pick him up from daycare and grab a box of pasta for a dollar so I could feed him dinner. Rent was behind 3 months or more, my car was dead, daycare was demanding money, my jw ex was refusing to pay child support... When I look back I don't know how the hell we made it.

WW

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Buying your lunch instead of bringing in your own is VERY expensive. Get some containers, and once a week make a big pot of soup. freeze a portion in each container, and get one out every day for lunch.

Fill the oven with potatoes covered in oil. Bake, then freeze individually in food bags. Make a few small pots of fillings, freeze these in portions.

If you are willing to bake for yourself you will save a lot of money too. pancakes are nutritious and filling. Even now i keep a plastic bottle of batter in the fridge. If i am hungry and don't know what to have I just shake it up and in five minutes I am pouring syrup over them. Its a great way of not succumbing to the temptations of phone food.

When i was first away from home, i ended up seeing the price of everything in terms of how many eggs, bags of lentils, split peas, barley, oatmeal, pasta, rice or flour I could have bought.

many of the basic tasties like garlic onions carrots leeks and potatoes are dirt cheap.

i still say it is great just to be able to sit around in your underwear, put your feet up on the mantelpiece and spit on your own ceiling!!

YAY to independence!!!

HB

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

you know, it may sound strange to some people, but i actually sort of hope that i am always poor. money, the concept itself, makes me wanna run and hurl myself over the edge of the boat sometimes.

this last spring summer and fall, i wanted to try an experiement. i wanted to try living off of 10.00 a day, max. and you know what? i did, easily. and i had much to spare actually because i got into barter and trade wherever i went, with like minded individuals, and some days didn't even spend my 10 bucks at the grocery store. it was great! i didn't have a home in the traditional sense, but i had a great tan, and the roof of the forest was my bedroom wherever i went.

i say, if you can find the strength and will power, do the world a favour and free yourself from money as much as you can. this means that i will probably always be poor, in the eyes of people who think that money makes you rich. i, of course, beg to differ on that!

peace jojo!

tetra

• kid-A
    kid-A

Anyone else remember these moments, or anyone still living them?

.....sigh.....alas, those days never seem to end, regardless how much money you make!

I've got a pretty decent salary, car, mortgage, the works, and honestly, it still feels like I live pay-day to pay-day....In fact, my disposable income now, is way less then when I was making 1/2 this salary!!!!

I think I'm gonna ditch it all and go on a $ 10 a day hiking expedition through the mountains of Tibet with Brother Tetra!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit