JW's and the care of the elderly

by Lynnie 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lynnie
    Lynnie
    I've been df'd for 35 years and my uber pioneer mother is getting on in years, 84 to be exact and starting to have signs of dementia and the social worker is worried that she can't be left alone at all anymore. She just had her second hip replaced and is in rehab. My uber elder cousin is the power of attorney since my mom was told I couldn't be trusted since I'm df'd. My elder cousin is too busy organizing international conventions and bothering people door to door to pay attention to my mom's affairs and it's been discovered that she cancelled her long term care insurance a few years back for a reason we don't know. Probably thought it was a waste of money since Armaggedeon is coming tomorrow! So now it's been determined that she will need to go to a home of some sorts and I asked my cousin and his wife why JW"S don't have any facilities for the elderly and she said "oh we are too smart for that" Really? Oh I should also mention that he has a wealthy non witness father that is getting along in years but that person is getting the best care ever. Money talks!
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The Cong will make a schedule for people to care for the elderly if they're filthy rich and leave everything to JWdotORG. I'm sure pioneers get to count their time.

Tell the Uber Dub cousin it's HIS problem since he convinced her to make him POA.

Doc

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Oh they do have facilities if you can afford $3500-$4900 per month. http://jah-jirehhomesofamerica.com/ I'm sure they make sure all wills and estates are made payable to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

Of course your cousin is too busy "in Jehovahs work" to care properly for your Mom but if and when it comes time to settle a will or an estate they are front & center. We have senior family members who are not being taken care of by there Uber dub JW's because the children are just too busy, so the congregation ends up with the responsibility. We have witnessed this in our own families several times. It's sad

• Magnum
    Magnum

I believe we're going to start seeing more and more of that as those of her generation age. These are people who were supposed to be well established in paradise now. If somebody had told them in 1975 that 40 years would pass and the end would be nowhere in sight, they wouldn't have even been able to process it.

I can guarantee you one thing - she won't get one bit of help from the org.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

In my previous cong, one of the Elder's wives "looks after" 2 elderly sisters who need daily help.

One is on Social Security benefits, the other is pretty comfortably well-off.

Give you a million guesses which one is looked on as an inconvenience & nuisance, and which one is treated with love & respect?

UK Attendance Allowance of over £200 per month per person can be claimed for each individual, but I'm sure she's doing out of Christian love! :)

• Lynnie
    Lynnie
    Okay so I just emailed my uber elder cousin to see if he could get a schedule of pioneers to visit my mom on a daily basis and his answer was "Good idea but most have their own family obligations and are stretched pretty thin" Really? So much for brotherly love and taking care of the flock!!! Unbelievable!!!
  • Lynnie
    Lynnie

I made another suggestion to my uber elder cousin about perhaps reaching out in the circuit to see if anyone could visit my mom on a daily basis and here's the loving reply:

here's what he said "the primary responsibility lies with you and myself. This is going to be such a long term thing it falls under the category of a Christian load and not a burden (huh?) If it was a week or two we could find people but we can't expect this kind of help, especially when your mother has the resources (really?) to provide that help. We did not expect any help from you or your mother or the congregation with my mother or my father at this point." His mother had several strokes and was in a wheel chair for many years but her husband still had his wits about him at that point so there was more care there for her. My mother is all alone since her husband died 7 years ago. Oh and his father is NOT a JW so no you wouldn't ask the congregation for help for a non witness! So even though I've been shunned for 35 years and they won't even eat a meal with me it becomes MY responsibility now? I don't think so folks!!!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So even though I've been shunned for 35 years and they won't even eat a meal with me it becomes MY responsibility now? I don't think so folks!!!

Lynnie, are you saying your own mother has shunned you for 35 years since you were DFd?

If that's the case, I'd personally have a real hard time wiping her ass now just because SHE needs YOU. Where was she when you needed a mother the past 35 years. Paul described it: "No natural affection". We all naturally (want to) love our Mom, but if your Mom kicked you to the curb 35 years ago, I'd sure as hell remind her that it was HER decision.

Hey, maw: Ya reap what ya sow.

If she does indeed "have the resources", then she can start giving you some inheritance now and pay you for your time and effort. Otherwise, I expect you'll see it go to JWdotORG or the jackass JW cousin and once again you'll be sitting alone on the curb.

Doc

• Lynnie
    Lynnie
    Yes my mother and my cousin's family have shunned me for 35+ years and now all of sudden this is MY responsibility when I'm not even power of attorney! They are so brainwashed that they can't quite see why I wouldn't be on board with any of this! Oh and when I asked about help from the immediate congregation or others in the circuit that was met with a big NO people are too busy and stretched too thin to help with an elderly old lady that pioneered for most of her adult life. Thanks a lot WTBTS!!
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Lynnie you are in a great position to remind the congregation, your loving mother and cousin's that you are to be treated as if you were dead to them. This is how they have treated you for the past 35+ years. This is no longer your responsibility. They made their choice now they have to live with it.

This sounds harsh but what goes around comes around. I would make sure they ALL know how you feel and that their behavior is DISGUSTING.

I am sorry that your family has treated you unkind. No one deserves the shunning. The best revenge is a happy and successful life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit