Have you recovered financially since leaving the Tower?

by lovelylil 35 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Not yet, lovelylil. But very soon I will be able to answer differently.

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

We save a ton on assemblies, actually we quit going to the before our fade due to $, we also used brochures instead of magazines because they weren't dated.

Now we don't spend any money on WTS, but do give to the church we go to, but they have also given to us in times of need, and they approched us with the help, we didn't ask for it.

• xjwms
    xjwms

This going to be my best year

Plan the work....Work the plan.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I can only blame a few weeks of financial difficulty in my life on the WT. That is only indirectly in any case since a MS hired my dad to do work for a few weeks and then didn't pay him for it. This was at a time that construction was WAY down (80's) and we were suffering already. In fact, my entire childhood was tight financially and my dad wasn't JW, he was a carpenter though-just as bad. The economy was crappy. In the late 80's things began really picking up for him though. Unfortunately he died in 2001, before he really got to enjoy his retirement. Makes me feel bad for all those old JWs who never thought they would GET old, much less need to plan for retirement.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Beautifully!!!! Increased my income 400%.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Yep, I have an actual career now, and by the end of this year will be making nearly 3x what I made when we were still JWs.

• Kaput
    Kaput

After being on the road to ruin for 30 yrs., I have now been able to turn things around and will hopefully be "back in the saddle again".

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Thanks all for your replies. I'm so glad many of us have been able to turn things around and better our lives. Yes money isn't everything but it is a protection. Lilly

Moshe,

Good for you for sticking to your plan! My hubby is 39 and hopes to retire at 59, and we are going to do lots of traveling!

• willyloman
    willyloman

It's been estimated that dub life, if you take it seriously, costs you about 20 hours a week - meetings, meeting preparation, getting ready for meetings, travel time, field service, conventions and so forth. If you're an elder, or pioneer, the numbers are bigger.

That's a part-time job on top of your regular 40 or more hours a week employment.

When you shed that extra weight, it frees you up to concentrate on your primary vocation. The results are often dramatic in terms of financial success.

• choosing life
    choosing life

We are slowly improving our financial situation. The biggest problem we face is not having acquired a pension, because we would never need it. Now we are making up for lost time by paying into 401K. My husband took a lot of heat over the years for working shift work. But that was all that was available with a highschool education. I used to hate it when the CO would come around and state that those who missed meetings to work were unfaithful. It always upset my husband. Once I asked the CO who was going to support us and our children if my husband gave up his shiftwork job. He was so self-righteous and said we just lacked faith.

Easy for him to say. And we were always ones to give him money during his visits. I never saw him refuse for the sake of our needs. Maybe he needed more faith and less dependence on handouts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit