Anti-Matter

by choosing life 20 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

I am not a physics major, in fact, I avoided it like the plague in college. So maybe someone on here can answer a question that I have. I recently read that in Switzerland there is a group of scientists that work on research, kind of like a think tank. Anyway, they discovered something called anti-matter. It is the opposite of matter and cannot come in contact with matter or it will set off a major explosion. They actually have to keep it suspended in a vacuum for it to exist in this world. It also has the power of a nuclear bomb many times over.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I always thought that energy was the opposite of matter and I guess this is a form of energy. It just sounds so far out there. Anyone know anything about it?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey choosing,

i am not that up on anti matter. but i always saw matter as an extension, or different version, of energy. not really it's opposite. without energy, there would be no matter, yes, but not in the linguistic sense of polars. ie: without evil, there would be no good.

hopefully someone can help me out with anti matter too. heh.

tetra

• some-xjw-guy
    some-xjw-guy

I suppose one might liken it to a discovery regarding WT teachings - in that it doesn't matter..

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

According to Fred Franz, Jehovah may use antimatter to clean up the earth after Armageddon. No joke.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Antimatter is energetically the exact opposite of matter. Bring the two together, and all of the atomic energy is released. No waste, no radioactivity, just light and heat and energy.

S

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

Suggest that you look in Wikipedia for their entry on anti-matter. It mentions the experiments in Europe that have produced anti-hydrogen (only with a life of a few seconds though).

A common application of matter - antimattter reactions is seen in the nuclear medicine technique known as Positron Emission Tomography (PET) where an artificial radioactive element such as Fluorine-18 is used. Fluorine-18 emits positrons (positive electons) that are annhilated when they encounter a "normal" electron. Energy in the form of gamma radiation is released, but given the number of positons emitted, it is not explosive, or even remotely so, but can be easily detected.

What I am saying in a long winded way is that antimatter exists, but only in very small quantities and for very short periods of time. The only antimatter explosions that we are likely to encounter (in the near future, at any rate) are in the realms of science fiction.

h9k

• onacruse
    onacruse

*** w60 4/1 p. 219 Part 35: "Your Will Be Done on Earth" ***

In this prophecy God warns that he will also use other natural forces that are at his disposal, possibly a rain of antimatter that has the property of annihilating any material thing that it meets. He warns all scoffers that he will do an ‘unusual work.’—Isa. 28:21.

*** kj chap. 20 p. 377 Land of Magog No More to Threaten Mankind ***

Doubtless the Almighty God will use some highly scientific means, whether including antimatter or not, to dispose of the surplus of decaying bodies in a speedy and sanitary way. This remains for the survivors of the "war of the great day" to see and witness.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Jehovah will use anti-matter to kill people at Armegeddon and then to diospose of their bodies. Now I have heard of everything!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look up Wickipedia. I was under the impression this was something new. Those quotes were from the sixties. That was before I had ever heard of dubs-oh sweet innocence.

• jinjam
    jinjam

the building is in geneva known as CERN, yes from what my husband tells me its built underground, where all the best scientists in the world are and i believe they have created anti-matter as a new energy source, but its not very stable yet or they trying to figure how to control it, imagine no nuclear waste and lots of energy!

• shadowofbathory
    shadowofbathory

dude

easy research there on the web

in a sentence anti matter is identicle to matter in every way but is opposite electrically ( not energetically as another poster put it )

electrons are positively charged etc

for someone to suggest that anti matter could be used by god at harmagedon shows their lack of understanding, mind u these statements were made in the early 60's by the slave class.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit