Crazy Bible Highlights

by metaspy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• metaspy
    metaspy

Ok, so I am in a new congregation (2 months).
    The PO was giving the Bible highlights for Isaiah 34-37.
    Somewhere in there he slips in the angel that killed the 187,000 men was none other than Jesus.
    I sat up in my chair and said to myself, "where in the world did he get that from?"
    I just checked the index and the best I could come up with is an article that suggests it could have been Jesus. Nothing definite.

has anyone else heard this before?
    What evidence is there to prove such a claim??

(this is not the first time I have caught people saying odd things from the platform.)

Metaspy

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

No, I've never heard anything like it before. This particular PO is just making it up probably to sound smart or spiritual because as far as I know, the WTS has never said who the angel was. The Bible doesn't give any details at all. justahuman - but super nonetheless

• choosing life
    choosing life

I have heard this before, but not seen it in print. They have also implied that Jesus was very much involved with the nation of Israel before he came to earth. They just make stuff up to sound like they know something that others don't.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's kind of like saying that all those in white robes
    are in an earthly courtyard.

It's kind of like saying that Jesus definitely did not
    get nailed to a cross.

It's kind of like saying that one meeting of older men
    in Jerusalem set a precident for an organization of
    anointed men making a Governing Body and enforcing
    a Mosaic Law code about blood upon those freed
    from that law.

It's kind of like saying that the name "Jehovah" should
    have been in the New Testament a few hundred times
    even though all evidence suggests it was never there.

• choosing life
    choosing life

(On The Way Out)

Yes! It is exactly like that. Because they said so, that's why.

• Gordy
    Gordy

Its not just a JW view many Christian scholars believe that the "angel of the Lord" mentioned in Isaiah 37:36 and other places in the OT is Jesus

http://www.keyway.ca/htm2002/angllord.htm

http://www.gotquestions.org/angel-of-the-Lord.html

http://www.preceptaustin.org/angel_of_the_lord.htm

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

As suggested by the WTS. No evidence. Just speculation.

***w912/1p.17par.10HonortheSon,Jehovah’sChiefAgent***

10 The archangel Michael fights in behalf of God’s Kingdom, taking the lead in cleansing the heavens of Satan and his demonic hordes. (Revelation 12:7-10) And the prophet Daniel says that ‘he stands in behalf of God’s people.’ (Daniel 12:1) It appears, therefore, that Michael is "the angel of the true God who was going ahead of the camp of Israel" and that he is the one God used to bring his people into the Promised Land. "Watch yourself because of him and obey his voice," God commanded. "Do not behave rebelliously against him, . . . because my name is within him." (Exodus 14:19; 23:20, 21) Without a doubt Jehovah’s archangel must have taken a great interest in God’s typical name people. Most fittingly he came to the aid of another angel that was sent to comfort the prophet Daniel, and who had been waylaid by a powerful demon. (Daniel 10:13) It may therefore be reasonable to conclude that the angel that destroyed Sennacherib’s 185,000 warriors was none other than Michael the archangel.—Isaiah 37:36.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• Tristram
    Tristram

Incredible....just look at the wild surmises in this one paragraph:

It appears, therefore, that Michael is "the angel of the true God who was going ahead of the camp of Israel" and that he is the one God used to bring his people into the Promised Land. "Watch yourself because of him and obey his voice," God commanded. "Do not behave rebelliously against him, . . . because my name is within him." (Exodus 14:19; 23:20, 21) Without a doubt Jehovah’s archangel must have taken a great interest in God’s typical name people. Most fittingly he came to the aid of another angel that was sent to comfort the prophet Daniel, and who had been waylaid by a powerful demon. (Daniel 10:13)It may therefore be reasonable to conclude that the angel that destroyed Sennacherib’s 185,000 warriors was none other than Michael the archangel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit