Interfaith Relationship

by Christina77 66 Replies latest social relationships

• wasistdas
    wasistdas

I seem to have more time on my hands today. Thanks for your response Spider. Today I listened to something very interesting. There was some guy on the Apologetic christain station doing an interview with Greg Stafford, a Jehovah's Witness. They were discussing the deity of Jesus. I will leave it to you to find out who that is, if you dont know. (hint: he has his own websites) What I found was that the interviewer was not really interested in producing his logic and then moving on, as was Stafford. He kept going back to the same simplistic logic that Stafford had disproven, and moreover, his sole intention was not enlightenment into the beliefs of others as he said in the introduction of his show, but to put Witnesses in a bad light. That pretty much spoke everything for me. So I hope that is not your intention as well. You might have noticed I ignored the mudslinging of Six o nine (?) and picked out the true issue, as I will do with you should you resort to such. Ok then. What I"ve been focusing on lately is a lot of CORE technical doctrinal issues, not so much social accusations like "the brooklyn people are bad" or "some witnesses are hypocrites". (About hollywood and movies, yeah like that ER episode, well, thats pretty easy material, you know thats what TV and HOllywood look for. The more drama the better.) What I believe more than anything is that there is a God and he cares about me. We probably agree on that. What we don't agree on is the nature of God, have I spoken correctly? Now lets say that sometime in the future in my studies I will have found that the New World Translation is grammatically, contextually, and linguistically unsound, and that therefore defeats our doctrinal use of it. Well, as a side point, this reminds of the fact that the NWT was not published until about the mid-20th century, and C.T. Russell and his associates started publishing the watchtower in the late 19th century. Before, during, and after the making of the NWT, our viewpoints were refined. But, carrying on. I would have to investigate my finding further and make an appropriate decision. NOw, on the flip side, lets say I were to find the NWT correct grammatically, linguistically and in context, but found that the organizatoin of Jehovah's Witnesses did not represent it accordingly. Well, again, I would have to do the same thing. So far, I have done neither, and don't expect to. Does that answer your question? In fact, spider, yes, I have thought several times, "what if this istn' the truth?" Well, my thought process didn't stop right there. I remembered my past experiences and discussions, and knowledge I had taken in. ANd moreover, my answer to that question, was not in effect an "answer" (I mean, a piece of meaningful language) but rather a course of action. I read again our literature and talked with others with a critical searching eye. When a questoin comes in my head, as they occasionally do, I dig myself into books. ONe day, in the library, i wanted to look up the cross. So, i looked it up in an encyclopedia on religion and found many things about the origin and use of the cross, and different types of crosses. It therefore occured to me that it was not unlikely that 2cd and 3rd century "christians" adapted a widespread symbol to their faith so as to make it acceptable to surrounding nations. Spider, about reading apostate stuff, I would rather consult neutral academic sources that don't have a chip on their shoulder. Did you know though, that in the library of hte research and writing center at the world headquarters in New York, they have an entire section of apostate literature for reference? ok i'm dead tired.

Ps. Everything that isn't dead fact is a point of view..anti-semitism is a point of view...Al Queda propoghanda is a point of view...Osama bin laden HAS a point of view..not to be offensive but just because something is a "point of view" does not mean it should be consulted as a credible source.

• Christina77
    Christina77

I really want to thank those that have answered my posts and gave me advice as to what to expect with what I am going through. I really hate to say this, but my post has gotten way off track and has become some thing that I wished that it had not. Lately, everyone seems to be getting mad at everyone else for things that they had posted. Please if you have nothing more to honestly help my situation, please find another place to post your views towards the other people. I came here for help and I am just seeing hate that isn't even relating to me. I am looking for honest answers and everything has turned into slander against someone who has answered me. Please stop this and continue to stay on the topic as much as possible.

Thank you very much,
    Christina

• spider
    spider

Sorry Christina - you are right of course

• wasistdas
    wasistdas

Christina, you are right, there's a lot of stuff we have been discussing that doesn't have much relevance to your situation. Let's get back to that. Maybe spider we can form another board.

• Christina77
    Christina77

So another weird thing happened last night... we were watching a movie last night and when the credits came on, I pressed the stop button but didn't turn off the TV.... Well guess what was on the channel at that time??? Some Jehovah's witness speaking to a group of people.... I really wasn't paying attention to what it was since I was corrupting him at the time... but I knew what it was by the way they were talking, it was quite obvious... He couldn't deal with it and told me to turn it off! I didn't turn it off when I realized what it was because there was no reason to, and if I did, he would probably say that I was only doing it because I don't like what they believe... I guess he couldn't handle breaking the rules while it is staring him in the face or within ear shot... It was hysterical! And I guess he can't handle watching that stuff with me. And for those that are keeping tabs... I haven't watched those videos that he wanted to watch together, and I am not going to bring it up otherwise. It was just really weird... I didn't even know they had programing on the local cable stations!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Whoa, people, I'm sorry, that was way too long

lol. No kidding. Actually the length is fine, if you have important things to say. Two words though: para graph Please! You're killing us here.

YOu must be familiar with the fact that Witnesses refer to their faith as "the truth".
    heh heh, yeah. I thought it was the "truth" for 37 years.

I'll try to wade thru and find your points. It won't be easy. BTW, if I'm mudslinging, I'm coming by it honestly; your attitude and arrogance truly disgust me. You are, in a word, a child.

Christina, just a note as to how discussion forums work- you throw out a topic, but you don't get "ownership" of that topic. After that, it is indeed a free for all, and you have no say in where it goes. It is not for you direct. I'm not chastizing you here, just saying how it is. Kinda like good old fashioned dinner table discussions, but with a lot more emphasis on sex

• Christina77
    Christina77

Six of Nine -

I understand how converstations work and I see it happen on other boards, and I have added to some of them and I think it is wrong... when you continue to have a conversation completely different from a topic that is honestly looking for advice on that topic and in need of help, it gives me false hope that someone has actually posted something that will help me deal with the situation. When I see an e-mail in my box saying that someone has added a post, I think someone may be there for me. But when I see pages and pages of things that are unrelated, why should I check my post again.... you tell me the answer to that, but I think you know where I am coming from... wasistdas very nicely started another topic so that discussion can continue and I thank her, so then you can go find it and continue from there. Thank you!

• wasistdas
    wasistdas

I still think Christina has a point. It's not as if she's telling us what to do, she is simply requesting that the people responding stay focused for her sake. I mean, obviously we dont HAVE TO.

Christina, Pardon my speaking frankly but, if you disrespect him so much why are you still with him? I mean I know he's wierd, but you either ARE going to really try to put yourself in his shoes and understand where he's coming from or you are not. If he's not worth it, then LOSE HIM! It sounds like you are just out to put down his religion but you still hang out with him. WEll, I'm sorry but you are not going to get him without the JW part. Its a permanent part of the package, no matter what he is doing, which side he ends up being on. If he still cares about it even after all this he is obviously going to for quite some time. So dont expect him to completely put it away for you...I'm not saying he should or shouldn't Im' just saying I wouldn't hold your breath. HE's obviously not putting either thing first. Man, I'd give this advice to any chick over any guy... Are you going to let him tug you around, or are you going to make decisions for yourself? He seems like your typical trying to have the best of both worlds type person...and the truth is these two "worlds" don't overlap. I think you're probalby thinking, "Oh i love the part of him thats not a witness..." well the person you fell in love with was all wrapped up in his being a witness. You don't really love HIM if you cut out his witness part because thats who he is. You gotta decide what to do about it.
    Ok. I still suggest that you read what the primary source has actually said instead of reading non-objective secondary sources that often quote things out of context, but if you don't want to, then if anyone read books by Rob Bowman. I"m assuming you haven't already. He's one of the leading contenders against the BELIEFS of Jehovah's Witnesses. Bowman totally disagrees with what we believe, but he's sharp, respectful, and honest about what he writes (though I feel his logic is a bit juvenile). If you insist on reading stuff against JW's read him. My friends have met and spoken with him actually and have favorable impressions. You can look him up on Amazon.

• Christina77
    Christina77

I do respect him and his beliefs, I don't put down anyone for what they follow. I have many friends that follow religions that are different than mine and I respect all of what they need to follow (If I can keep Kosher for my Orthodox Jewish friends, I can respect this). I think everyone should follow a religion, if they believe in it. Religion is the basis for how one acts, respects others and how they fit in society.

If you were referring to my comment about turing off the TV program, you read it out of context. That is what I would have thought he would respond to me if I turned it off on my own. Once I realized what was on, I really didn't know what to do. I just thought it was hilarious after the fact. It was just a coincidence that it was on at that moment and his reaction wasn't what I expected.

I am just annoyed with the fact that he doesn't share anything with me and does infact live two separate lives. He needs to find out a way to merge them into one, and very soon. This will directly effect me in the future and this is what bothers me. We do love eachother very much and I don't want to be without him. It is just very hard for me to deal with, since he doesn't open up to me and puts me in the dark. This is the only thing that I disrespect him for, because he was not honest with me and that really hurts.

I really don't want to lose him, I want to understand him. I want to make this work and that is why I came here, to get answers to my questions that he won't or can't answer. I really am starting to understand why he did what he did, I don't agree with it, but I see what his point is.

I never asked him to drop the religion, and with the same respect I told him that I will never drop mine. This made me realize that I can't live without what I grew up believing and I don't think he can either. I wouldn't expect him to, and I know that it will always be a part of him no matter what happens.

And for the books... I will read whatever is the best sources to find the answers. I looked up the books that you had previously referred to and I couldn't find any of them on my own. Although, I was able to read the pamphlet on the watchtower site. I just feel very weird asking him for them myself.

Thanks again,
    Christina

• Quester
    Quester

Christina,

I'm wondering if you know that your jw boyfriend
    could get disfellowshipped for this situation?

That means being totally shunned, ostracized from
    all his jw family and friends. I think this is
    probably causing the fear and secrecy.

Also, I'm thinking that even though you have told
    him you will never change religions, I suspect that
    he will try to pursuade you otherwise and will
    discreetly try to witness to you and get you to read
    jw material.

It sounds like you are being totally open with him,
    but he is not being totally open with you.

That sounds a big warning bell to me.

I would feel more hopeful for your relationship if
    he could get more honest and open with you about his
    jw religion issues.

Quester

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit