DoomsdayClockMovingForward-JWsREJOICE!

by LovesDubs 10 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Just what they needed to hear eh? Doom and more doom and gloom!! Praise JAH!

Scientists to Move Doomsday Clock Forward Reuters WASHINGTON (Jan. 12) - The keepers of the "Doomsday Clock" plan to move its hands forward next Wednesday to reflect what they call worsening nuclear and climate threats to the world. End of the World as We Know It Talk About It: Post Thoughts The symbolic clock, maintained by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, currently is set at seven minutes to midnight, with midnight marking global catastrophe.

In a news release previewing an event next Wednesday, the group said the change was based on "worsening nuclear, climate threats" to the world.

"The major new step reflects growing concerns about a 'Second Nuclear Age' marked by grave threats, including: nuclear ambitions in Iran and North Korea , unsecured nuclear materials in Russia and elsewhere, the continuing 'launch-ready' status of 2,000 of the 25,000 nuclear weapons held by the U.S. and Russia, escalating terrorism, and new pressure from climate change for expanded civilian nuclear power that could increase proliferation risks," the release reads.
      The clock was last pushed forward by two minutes to seven minutes to midnight in 2002 amid concerns about the proliferation of nuclear, biological and other weapons and the threat of terrorism.

When it was created by the magazine's staff in 1947, it was initially set at seven minutes to midnight and has moved 17 times since then.

It was as close as two minutes to midnight in 1953 following U.S. and Soviet hydrogen bomb tests, and as far away as 17 minutes to midnight in 1991 after the superpowers reached agreement on a nuclear arms reductions.
  • avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    It is not mans clock that we need to keep looking at but rather God's, it will come at the appointed time no matter what any earthly clock says or doesn't say.

abr

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

You know that and I know that...but everytime somebody sneezes somewhere, they look at it as a SIGN OF THE END (echo echo echo!)

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

42 “So you, too, must keep watch! For you don’t know what day your Lord is coming. 43 Understand this: If a homeowner knew exactly when a burglar was coming, he would keep watch and not permit his house to be broken into. 44 You also must be ready all the time, for the Son of Man will come when least expected.

To me the end is only a second away, I could die at any moment and love would dictate that time doesnt matter when comes, serve out love not fear, I agree with on your follow up post

abr

• parakeet
    parakeet

What I don't get is why anyone, whether using man's clock or god's clock, would rejoice at the wholesale destruction of life. Sick, sick, sick.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Scientist need to stick to science and stop trying to influence political and social philosophy with their little stupid damn clock. It is as bad as the Watchtower Society constantly talking about Armageddon being right around the corner.

Jim Whitney

• Cellist
    Cellist

Amen, Jim. My sentiments also.

Cellist

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good observation, jim. It may be a continuation of apocalypticism, merely in another format and our addiction to it.

S

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If we look at societies that have faced their own armageddon I doubt most expected it to happen when it did and for the reason it did. While we are looking at overt problems such as nuclear proliferation it might be something as simple as a run on the dollar, an earthquake knocking out Tokyo or a flu pandemic. Nuclear weapons will always be a worry but in general they stop wars (if Iraq had nukes Saddam would still be in power).

Top risks in order of severity in my mind:

1 - Overconsumption
    2 - Deforestation and destruction of natural land and water assets
    3 - AIDS and other global pandemics
    4 - War (30 million men/women imbalance in china doesn't look healthy)

I'm not rejoicing.

• Green Chille
    Green Chille

When I was a DUB, the only reason I rejoiced was because I thought a BETTER WORLD was just around the corner after the big A.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit