1906 Training for Colporteurs - a real eye-opener

by Lady Lee 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Do you have a scan of this? I'd really love to see one.

What I have is a text version of this document. I prefer scanned copies but those aren't always available. BUT if you can find the the following, it should have the info in it

The 1906 Souvenir Report from the Conventions of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society in Asbury Park, New Jersey: July 22-29, 1906

Hmmm I wonder if this training program was used to teach the colporteurs in other years?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Man, those Souvenir Reports are a goldmine of info. We should really keep our eyes pealed on eBay for this one....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hey look, a 1906 edition of Volume 3 of Millennial Dawn....this should clarify whether it was still a different edition in that year:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Watchtower-Millennial-Dawn-Volume-III-Jehovah-IBSA-1906_W0QQitemZ200102253922QQihZ010QQcategoryZ29223QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Marking

• Farkel
    Farkel

Lee,

I have a copy of the "Messenger" from circa 1920's which also uses "selling books" all over its pages. At least they were HONEST about what they were doing in those days!

Farkel

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Found this thread linked from a current thread. This isn't a souvenir report from the same year, but one I found.

http://www.archive.org/details/1911BibleStudentsConventionPictures

There's a nice picture of Rutherford's son on page 23.

• freydo
    freydo

LL - Are there links to any of this material?

• Ri
    Ri

Thanks Lady Lee...this one made it's rounds

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I am speechless.  This is sickening. A true look behind the 'Wizard's dirty curtain'.

LL

• scoobydont
    scoobydont

Hello, Lady Lee. That is a lot of effort you have put into this thread ! Thank you. I just had to add my own two pence to the thread as one cannot read the speech and be unprovoked ! Here are just a couple of excerpts that got me really mad:

"...Be smiling, kind, etc. Be over polite, or more than etiquette would demand. If you get half a chance to thank a person for something, do it"

That just typifies the dominant trait of the "love" that many JWs have for each other and those they preach to. (By the way, did anyone get those plastic, overly friendly and bordering-on-the-insincere smiles at the Kingdom Hall and Conventions ?)

Like drones and robots, many JWs are devoid of real feelings for humaninty except for the "Mother", of course. This, to me, is why the average JW finds it easy to apply shunning right upon the say-so of "Mother" ! Their professed "love" is something they can switch on and off, just like that, to use the old expression ! Bloody sociopaths !!

"...If we do not put the book into people’s hands, we do not reap the wheat, so I believe in working and spending my time where the most can be accomplished in the same length of time...for I could spend my time where it would do more good and I feel justified in doing so."

So, why are JWs being made to beat the life out of the roads and pathways, in areas that are clearly unreceptive to the "troof" - going back again and again and again to the same people whom you damn well know are not even going to humour you by coming to their door ?!  

I know of brothers and sisters who have worked the same territories for 30 - 40 years and have not had a single Bible study from there. Oh, yes, cue in the lessons on "blood guilt". We can't be the ones to decide who lives or dies at Armageddon, you know !

You know what ? As disgusting as I find those excerpts from the speech, I have to admit, reluctantly, that the speaker certainly used his head and knew how to work "smart", which is a lot more than can be said for the current crop of JWs.  Really, though. these JWs are no better than those dodgy salesmen and cold callers you often warn your octogenarian mum about ! My life could have been a lot different if I had never been a JW - just looking back at missed opportunities !

Well, I wish everyone here a happy 2015 !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit