My daughter had a showdown with her aunt

by coffee_black 16 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My daughter's aunt (my x sil, and a jw) moved into my daughter's neigborhood recently. She has had nothing to do with my daughter in over 15 years. My daughter was never baptized, but her aunt chose to basically ignore her existence for all these years. My daughter is now 30 and has children of her own, and suddenly, since moving into the neighborhood her aunt is attempting to get my grandchildren to spend time with her. She just shows up when they are out in the yard playing, and has attempted to get them to come over to her house. The oldest told her that he doesn't talk to strangers. My granddaughter is a social butterfly and talks to her.

My daughter is furious, and has told her to stay away from her children. Her aunt said that they are her flesh and blood, and she has every right to spend time with them. My daughter said she doesn't want the children exposed to the cult. Besides, when she was younger, this aunt did serious damage to her self esteem, and she has no intention of letting her aunt repeat the process with her children. My daughter asked her what her motives were after all these years to just suddenly show up and push herself on them. It blew up, and my daughter is very upset. She has to work crazy hours, and has a live in sitter taking care of them when she's working, and her aunt seems to pick those times to push her weight around with the babysitter.

I told my daughter that she should consider getting a restraining order. She doesn't need to be held hostage in her own home.

Sheesh...do these people ever get it?

Coffee

• exjdub
    exjdub
    Her aunt said that they are her flesh and blood, and she has every right to spend time with them.

Wow, Coffee, that woman is crazy. That absolutely is not true and if she continues on despite your daughter's protest I would have to agree with you about the restraining order. You are right...they just don't get it.

exjdub

• Emma
    Emma

Have the daughter tell the aunt that if she shows up again, the sitter has orders to call the police. Give the sitter those instructions!

• nelly136
    nelly136

definately time to get some legal advice, the woman has potential converts in her sights and can almost taste their salvation.... so she's not going to worry about your daughters feelings or putting the babysitter smack bang in the middle. if she's allowed to continue she could end up driving the babysitter away which won't help your daughter if she's working to support her family.

shame your daughter is having this stress put on her

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi coffee,

Sorry to hear about the stress being put on your daughter. It is hard enough having to work with young kids and she should not have to worry about this wacko aunt coming around and causing a scene with the babysitter.

An Aunt really has no legal rights to the children at all and it is up to the custodial parent (your daughter) who gets to spend time with her children. We all know the aunt's motives are to make converts which is the only motive any of the JW's have in spending time with "worldly" extended family.

Your daughter just has to put her foot down and tell the aunt that she does not want her children exposed to ANYONE who is a CULT member! And if she insists on showing up on her private property, she will call the police and get a restraining order. And then ask the aunt if she wants to give JW's a bad name by insisting on getting her way.

When I was a active dub, I once had to throw a "sister" who had mental issues out of my home and tell the elders to keep her away from my kids because this women had it in her head I was raising them wrong and that she had a duty to Jehovah to step in and help me. She was very off the wall and the kids were afraid of her. I had to come on strong and she finally got the message when I told her I will get a restraining order against her. Now she leaves me alone, even though she lives on the next street over from me. Every once in a while I catch her following me in the local grocery store. Anyway, sorry this is long. Your daughter is doing the right thing and the aunt has a lot of nerve coming around after 15 years.Lilly

BTW - we live so close, we really should get together sometime and share "war" stories.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Tell her that her flesh and blood have been ignored for the past 15 years, and then ask her what new light she would like to shed upon them!

• Scully
    Scully
    My daughter's aunt (my x sil, and a jw) moved into my daughter's neigborhood recently. She has had nothing to do with my daughter in over 15 years. My daughter was never baptized, but her aunt chose to basically ignore her existence for all these years.
    My daughter is furious, and has told her to stay away from her children. Her aunt said that they are her flesh and blood, and she has every right to spend time with them.

It's too bad her aunt didn't show your daughter the same kind of attention she wants to show your grandchildren. It's obvious that she's a hypocrite and is using the "flesh and blood" routine in order to pad her Field Service Reportâ„¢.

I would have done just like your daughter and told her to stay away from the kids. Next time she shows up, call the police and have her charged with harassment and/or stalking. After all this time, she is basically a stranger to your daughter and her family. Treat her like one.... she did nothing less to your daughter while she was growing up.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Tell your daughter to give "Maude" one warning, then a restraining order.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Your daughter has the right, and the responsibility, to decide who her children are allowed to be with. The aunt is NOT one of those people!! She has no 'rights' when it comes to her niece's children... what's wrong with her?? Oh, I forgot, she's a JW...

I think she should tell the aunt to stay away from her children or she'll get a restraining order. If your daughter has suffered at the hands of this aunt previously, I'd think she has grounds for a restraining order. Then instruct the babysitter on exactly what to do if the aunt shows up. The babysitter shouldn't have to guess about that stuff.

Sorry she's going through this...

GGG

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

My daughter is presently shunning me because of the influence of an Aunt! Don't take it lightly, and set the boundries!

Outaservice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit