Moving again... What do you think of these places?

by Bryan 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bryan
    Bryan

Well, we thought we'd be here for at least 2 years. Last week my wife was told that her office will close Jan. 31st! This is actually kinda' normal for Bechtel. There's no problem with her job. Plenty other projects want her.

Dallas is an option. Of course, we have some great friends there, which is a great draw.

Houston, also, would like to have her. We call Houston home so we have a lot of regular (non-exjw) friends there.

Richland/Kenewick, Washington wants her really bad.

The thing about Washington is that the job will last until 2020. Bechtel is Cacooning all the old WWII Platonium reactors and claening all the radioactive bs that is there. It would be nice not to have to move, especially with Sébastien, for a few years.

Houston probably would be at least 5 years and Dallas is diffinately a temp job of 1-2 years.

Do we have any ex's in the Tri Cities of Washington? I've done a lot of research and am curious about personal opinions.

Thanks Ya'll

Bryan

• blondie
    blondie

There's a nice group in Washington and Oregon. I love the Columbia River too.

Blondie

• Bryan
    Bryan

Washington sounds toxic, but I know there is a lot fishing, boating, etc. Supposed to have a small town atmosphere as well.

It's simi-dessert with easy winters.

Bryan

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Good things:

There is a good group of ex-JWs here.

No state income tax in Texas.

Very affordable housing.

Bad things:

Air quality is very foul in the summer months. Headache inducing.

Traffic

No scenic beauty here.

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

Hi Bryan I lived in the Tri-Cities, from the early '60s until 2000. Oddly enough, after I'd completed a year of college, (retraining because of an industrial accident), I had a mock interview, which was presided over by a rep from Bechtel. Later I applied for work as an office clerk at Bechtel. I was 59 at the time, and other than the college training, inexperienced in anything but construction work, so I feel I was passed over for work because of my age, 59, and my inexperience. The Tri-Cities is one of the few areas in the U.S. that is still booming. The place has grown remarkably so, even in the past 6 years since I moved to my new home, some 60 miles S.E. of the Tri-Cities. There is a huge variety of people living there, with the three cities, kind of representing a different type of people in each city. Kennewick used to be considered the "bedroom" of the community so to speak. They all have grown to the point that their separate identities are not so evident now. If you enjoy boating and fishing, the Tri-cities has a lot to offer with the Columbia River wandering through the middle of the burg. There are several good golf courses in the area if golfing is your bag. It seems that every contractor has moved to the area to build houses, apartment buildings and condominiums. Unless things change, the Witnesses use the Tri-cities as one of the District Assembly sites in the summer. There will probably be at least 3, more likely 4 assemblies there during the summer. The last one I went to was with my father and siblings. I sat in the stands above the main concourse, sweltering as the temps outside were in the 90s-100s, and looked down at my used to be in-laws looking up at me. LOL... The Tri-cities can fool you. The area was semi-desert and arid, where once upon a time the climate in the summertime was very dry. Because of the huge amount of irrigated land that's being watered from damns built along the Columbia, the humidity can sometimes be similar to cities on the Gulf Coast. All in all, I'd say the Tri-Cities is a good place to consider living and working. The clean up work at the Atomic Energy Reservation, (Hanford) will go on for many years, although the clean up is going well according to the news. You probably are aware that one of the two atomic bombs dropped on Japan was built at Hanford. Hanford High school, (Richland) is proud of that heritage, even their logo is the Hanford Bombers. Hope this helps.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Maybe you could research Washington state on the web, visit the town's homepage, see photos. It would be nice not to have your child change schools for a long time, if ever. And, you could always visit your friends in Texas...

Best wishes, whatever you do!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I live in the Seattle area now, but lived in Eastern Washington for years, including a couple of months in Richland. I love this state so I'm not an unbiased source, but it sounds like the stability might be good for your family. Other members of the board are likely to disagree, but if you live on that side of the mountains you will have to be a Cougar fan.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Thanks everyone and ramtrucker.

School is one great thing. The Tri-Cities have many scientists and engineers living there, so the school's averages are some of the best in the country.

• Paisley
    Paisley

I think I would jump at the chance to live in Washington State, especially for such a long stretch, so the little one could really put down his own roots. It sounds great! And you sound like the kind of people who would make more friends wherever you are, so you wouldn't lose friends, but rather you would gain more.

Semi-desert, mild weather?? Go for it! :D

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Well, obviously we'd like you in Dallas (Murphy, to be precise!), but it does sound like the Washington state move would be a more stable environment for Sebastien. But you'd have a built-in babysitter team if you moved here [wheedles gently].

Keep us posted on what you decide and of course send us the new address!

Hugs,

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit