Exercise--Is It For Christians?

by comment 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

tdogg:

This is a bitter subject for me so I can only crack a tiny smile at this.

Please explain...

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Since I have been an avid "weightlifter" since high-school, I will add my two pounds to this subject.

If in fact, this future article is to be published, then I can only wonder what will happen to all of the weight training equipment at Bethel and at the farm? Plenty of young brothers engage in weight training and exercise around the world in different branches.

They know this in advance, therefore I doubt the validity of the article. If it true, then it will be a serious blow to the morale, confidence and self-esteem of many young men in the borg.

My childhood idols were men like "The Immortal Steve Reeves" and "Peter Lupus" and other original pre-steroid men of iron. To me, if one accepts scripture as inspiration, then one can safely strive to improve every aspect of one's physical life without hinderance.

Gobbling up fat pills with pioneers and publishers who take two hour breaks and count the time while their arteries harden is not beneficial at all. I would rather have my strength and confidence and personal beliefs to guide me than communal support with a bunch of obese american diabetic greedy fanatical mongers!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Christians can be thankful that among God's requirements for them is the work of preaching from house to house, which gives them necessary exercise and fresh air that are so much missed by the modern generation who lead an increasingly sedentary life. By living with wisdom toward the injurious practices of this world the Christian preserves health and strength. Whatever measure of health one has is an asset to draw on for preaching the good news of God's kingdom.-Matt. 10:7, 12; 1 Cor. 6:9, 10.

Sorry, this is for real: The Watchtower, May 1st, 1963

• comment
    comment

Bridgette,

bttt stands for "back to the top" (of the discussion board).

comment

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Germanjw is right, exercise in the morning field service(conform, conform, conform), a cold bedroom and a watchtower at night(conform, conform, conform)-two things great for a teenager's psyche!

AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

German, I am not a pretty man, but I needed a bit of that freedom thing in my developing years, a lot of which comes with participating in sports and such. You know, I just grew up a baptised publisher in the "truth", I don't know what I'm talking about.

Breathing Oxygen....is it for Christians.

"I pray that I may never see the desert again-hear me God."-Robert Bolt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit