Exercise--Is It For Christians?

by comment 14 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

Excerpted from a future issue of The Watchtower:

In modern times, great emphasis has been laid upon diet and exercise, particularly in Western lands. People are often impressed by the physiques of athletes and movie stars presented in the media. But should Christians be affected by this prevailing trend, allowing themselves to get involved in exercise?

The Bible provides a reliable guide, for its pages reflect divine wisdom. 1 Timothy 4:8 states that "bodily training is beneficial for a little." Some have taken this to mean that exercise in moderation, such as running, jogging or doing calisthenics, is beneficial.

However, Robinson's New Concordance of Greek Terminology, published in 1886, observes: "The anathartic article, here invoked by Paul, permits a variant reading that wills, yes, urges the Bible student to accede to a minimum. The apostle desired young Timothy to abstain to the degree possible from such God-defiling activity, for bodily training was beneficial FOR LITTLE." [emphasis ours]

So evidently, Christians must abstain from exercise. Otherwise, they could jeopardize their standing before God. How sad it would be to throw away the prospect of perfect health in a Paradise earth simply for yielding to the temptation to exercise!

Today, in the Christian congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide, thousands heed Paul's wise admonition. A sister in the United States comments: "My heart is filled with joy when I drive past a donut shop and see a group of corpulent pioneers enjoying a coffee break! It is just as Psalm 92 foretold: 'Fat and fresh they will continue to be.'"

What a fine example! Young ones, in particular, do well to take these words to heart. In the "bloom of youth," they may have sudden impulses to dabble in soccer or hockey. (1 Corinthians 7:36)

Daniel, who serves as a Christian elder in Nigeria, relates: "When I was a teenager, I led a double life, performing pushups in my room without the knowledge of my faithful parents. Once, I was exercising in the field behind our house when my father caught me. He was clearly distressed, but he did not beat me. Instead, he reasoned with insight, asking me: 'How would you feel if a new Bible study saw you exercising and ceased associating with the congregation?' I saw the need to adhere more closely to Bible standards in my life. Today, I continue to grow in spiritual and physical maturity."

Satan would love to see us weaken and yield to exercise. How can we combat our Adversary's crafty devices? By sticking to a regular program of meeting attendance, personal study and prayer. If we immerse ourselves in spiritual pursuits, we will soon find that we have no time for exercise. What a joyful prospect!

If you find yourself sorely tried, ask yourself this simple question: Does Jehovah exercise? Of course not! Therefore, neither should his faithful earthly servants. Sedentary in our spirituality, we can happily praise our loving God right down to the conclusion of this wicked system of things!

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

haha. Laugh at this all you want but my parents actually used that scripture so they wouldn't have to buy me a weight set. So i got a job and bought my own. Suckers :)

• comment
    comment

Brother Naeblis, it appears that you are not being responsive to the wisdom of the faithful and discreet slave. ;)

(I could definitely see that happening.)

comment

• tdogg
    tdogg

This is a bitter subject for me so I can only crack a tiny smile at this.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

That's FATHER Naeblis Comment. I is a priest you knows. :)

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

L OO L

"I pray that I may never see the desert again-hear me God."-Robert Bolt

• comment
    comment

I can think of plenty of cases where Witness kids I knew (or saw giving their experiences at an assembly) passed up chances to excel at their favorite sports precisely because of this kind of reasoning. (Of course, my parody blows it up to ludicrous heights, but you really can't say exercise is ENCOURAGED, the occasional article on cross-country skiing notwithstanding. Oh yes, and those faithful Bethelites who take the stairs instead of the elevator.)

comment

• Moxy
    Moxy

"The anathartic article..."

haha, very clever!

ix-nay on all aerobics of course, because it is so similar to demonic YOGA! it is a basically a short slippery slope away from demonin possession. you CANT tell me theres nothing netherworldly going on here:

i rest my case.

mox

• comment
    comment

bttt for the non-weekend crowd...

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

what does bttt mean? I've always wondered.
    enlighten me, pleeeeeeaaaaase.
    Bridgette of the semi-nonweekend crowd.
    oh and the article was cute. too close to the real rhetoric.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit