Those who are 50+, do you remember that there was an ice age coming?

by Bonnie_Clyde 14 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

When I was a boy in the 50's it turned cold by October. Lots of snow every winter, then about 1969 we started getting some periodic warm winters.- that was the first January we ever heard of that had rain and real thunder in our area of east-central Illinois The last big winter was 1978 and the last cold winter was in 1993-- minus 30F temp. Now we hardly ever see even a temp below zero. Thanks to el nino it looks like a very mild winter- lots of rain in January, so far. Still, this is within norms for weather over the last 10,000 years. They say it was still warmer 1000-1100 years ago than at present.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I remember this well.
    In the late 1970s, there were several very severe winters in a row in the Northern Hemisphere.
    This led to a lot of dialogue - ranging from rational discussion to outright scare mongering - about another Ice Age.

Others here are free to have a go at me for saying this - but it is one of the main reasons that I am hesitant to get too excited about current talk about Global Warming.

• zack
    zack

I was in elementary in the early 70's, and they still taught us the ICE AGE is coming--- it's a fact!

At home I was hearing ARMAGEDDON is coming, right around the corner--- it's a fact!

How was a child to learn the metric system by 1980 when all the world would be using it by then?

Zack------

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    There was an ice age but it was invisible.

LOL - the ultimate JW insider joke. Good one Blond one

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Last week Clyde and I saw a segment on TV about global warming, and as usual it was presented as being a "fact" without question. They scoffed at any scientists who would believe differently. As one proof that these scientists were wrong, they referred back to the decade (was it the 60's?) when some experts were saying that cigarettes were safe. They were proved wrong so, of course, any scientists who believe that global warming is not an issue are wrong as well. What kind of reasoning is that?

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in polluting the earth, and I'm not saying that there aren't any warming trends. I just don't believe that warming and cooling is caused by men. As so many of the posters here have already stated, the earth has been warming and cooling for milleniums. I also believe that our "green" former vice president may have some sort of "red" agenda, and the news media is being suckered right into it.

BTW, thanks for all your comments. I thought for awhile Clyde and I were the only ones who felt this way.

Bonnie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit