Advice for daughter please

by AuntieJane 13 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Sass, you are right too. She's not a kid, but has been more immature than my others ever were. So you think not to

say anything at all ? It seems I could say something, at least to put the thought in her head. I do believe in tough

love, letting them find their own way, though I am known to be the mom who gives un-asked for advice. My own

elderly mother still gives me advice like that and I may cringe at the time, but dang-it, she is usually right, I just

still don't like to admit it! I love her to death, too.

• praiseband
    praiseband

My kids are in the same age range as your daughter, although, they are all married now. I learned a few years ago that as much as I wanted to I could not always be throwing them a "life-preserver". Sometimes I had to let them sink once or twice. It was not easy, but they did learn from it. They know I will always be there for them when they seek advice or help, but now I wait for them to initiate it. It is hard to move from being our children's parents where we are the adult and they are the child to having a peer relationship with them, but the rewards are amazing when you do! I have learned that I can also count on my children to have wisdom and they will be there to help me when I need advice. Be patient. Praise

• Scully
    Scully

I love the flylady site and highly recommend it. It isn't for everyone though. I doubt it would have motivated me at that age... but it sure does now!

Considering that your daughter is working, paying her own way through school, is an adult, and is passing her courses (even if it's not as well as she could do), she may be happy with her performance, and has found a delicate balance of these activities where she is not feeling as though she's spreading herself too thin, and still allowing herself some time to enjoy herself.

She could be doing a lot worse things than surfing online. Maybe she is using her online time partially for research, partially for personal organization, partially for networking with other students and doing online "study groups", or networking with other people in her chosen future profession. That's how I spent the majority of my computer time when I went back to school in my 30s. I even typed out my class notes as a form of review - it was a great study aid, and it turned into a way to make some extra money because I had classmates who were eager to pay for copies of my class notes.

Procrastination is sometimes not a bad thing either. I could spend weeks trying to get started writing essays - starting them, not being happy with the way it was going, tossing the crushed up paper in the trash. Finally, when it was "crunch time", I'd get my inspiration and do my project or essay or whatever. Seriously, some of my best work was the product of eleventh hour white-knuckling through it. My confidentiality essay was whirling around in my brain for 3 weeks, and not one word of it was typed until 24 hours before it was due to be handed in. My mark was 100%.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

thanks again all. I decided to hold back, just gave her a hug, some freezer meals, and wished her well when she left.

Praise, you are right, they need to make their own mistakes and I've been bad about this with her, but have worked on

it the last year. So I will be stronger. And Scully, thanks for your words of encouragement; and the link to your paper.

I'll read it soon, kudos to you from just scanning it myself right now!

I agree procrastination is not always bad, but in this case...well, visiting My Space and Facebook composed most of

her time according to the history on My computer that she used all during break. I kind of doubt, after looking at fly lady,

that she'll get into that, but I WILL :o) If she was younger, or older, it would be fun for her, but I think she'd laugh at it right now.

FYI I did call her older sister, whom she admires and spent Xmas time with here, and asked her to email a positive hello

to her . (they are bad at keeping in touch, 7 yrs apart and several states away). But older sister understood my request to

just step up a little more communication and try to plant some seeds of direction based on her own experience. She has always been a take charge person, though, whereas little sister, B, has been a stop and smell the flowers as long as I need to kind...marching to her own drummer. Creative, expressive. A good thing, but if you want all there is life has to offer, you aren't going to get it by procrastinating as much as she does. Big sister will be and always has been a good influence; don't get me wrong, I am glad they are each their own person.

OK, enough said. Thank you all for your input, I'll watch for any other replies. This has been helpful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit